» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (OnlyItalian, Teo, CVL200, driley), 158 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,635
Posts1,341,406
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,845
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
replacing the old alarm system #953606
18/12/2009 22:29
18/12/2009 22:29

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

I'm in the process of replacing the old alarm system with a new one. Main reason so I can get engine start to heat up the car before I jump in.

I've read previous forums but couldn't find the info I'm after.

To make things easier I've used the feed off the original alarm for the indicators and door locking/unlocking functions.

I've even got the engine start to work. But I can't find the wire for the door open / close function. The one that tells the alarm that the door is open. Anyone know what colour wire it is and where?

More importantly I can hear the old alarm unit clicking each time I get into the car. How can I stop that?

Last edited by Hemz; 19/12/2009 01:04.
Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #953909
19/12/2009 18:54
19/12/2009 18:54

P
puntoturbo
Unregistered
puntoturbo
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Hemz
I'm in the process of replacing the old alarm system with a new one. Main reason so I can get engine start to heat up the car before I jump in.

I've read previous forums but couldn't find the info I'm after.

To make things easier I've used the feed off the original alarm for the indicators and door locking/unlocking functions.

I've even got the engine start to work. But I can't find the wire for the door open / close function. The one that tells the alarm that the door is open. Anyone know what colour wire it is and where?

More importantly I can hear the old alarm unit clicking each time I get into the car. How can I stop that?

Pull the door switch out and have a look at the wiring on them. The wiring will probably be accessible if you pull back to the carpet in either the passenger or drivers side foot well.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #954037
19/12/2009 23:49
19/12/2009 23:49

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

sounds like a nightmer just waiting to happen

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #954403
20/12/2009 21:54
20/12/2009 21:54

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

I've just pulled out all the wires and tried to look for a positive feed (when door is open) on both door wire looms, but can't find any. Theres no positive feed on any of the wires. I've checked all the fuses and there all ok. is there a relay for this somewhere?

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #954414
20/12/2009 22:04
20/12/2009 22:04

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

If I remember the switch is in the door lock, you need to look in the loom that goes to the drivers door, use a test light that is + positive supplied and prob for the wire. It will turn negitive when the door is opened, also have you removed the transponda in the key and taped it under the calin near the ignition.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #954520
21/12/2009 00:32
21/12/2009 00:32

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: TheAudioGuy
If I remember the switch is in the door lock, you need to look in the loom that goes to the drivers door, use a test light that is + positive supplied and prob for the wire. It will turn negitive when the door is opened, also have you removed the transponda in the key and taped it under the calin near the ignition.

I've got the engine start all sorted and it works like a charm. its just the door open/close sensing wire.

I've been looking for a positive feed all this time, never checked for a negative feed. i'll give that ago tomorrow.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #954853
21/12/2009 16:37
21/12/2009 16:37

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

No switch in a car is positive unless it's controled via a relay in some way or another

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #958790
31/12/2009 00:02
31/12/2009 00:02

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

in a sense very true audio, although I was gonna say bmw [+ a few others ]boot switch etc,tut tut hemz lol you managed to sort an engine start but cant source a door switch wire? You found it yet? Hems as audio is telling you how to test correctly,

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959120
31/12/2009 15:47
31/12/2009 15:47

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

you know what i avoid bmw's when it comes to alarms, i watched my work mate do a viper alarm into an old E39 and AGRO isnt the word! i think he was doing it for about 4 hours and hes my guy that i get to do the one i hate doing lol, thing is now because everying new runs on canbus theres not alot involved in fiting alarm nowadays, its mostly plug and play with a bit of setting up on the laptop.
i need to book up a training day with directed soon

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959211
31/12/2009 18:42
31/12/2009 18:42

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

Havn't manage to do the door light sensor wire, gonna do it this weekend. However before I give it ago, I want to sort out the clicking noise from the old alarm unit box form under the driver dash. Is the unit connected to the immobiliser or is that seperate? If not can I just disconnect the old alrm unit totally ? I havn't tried it yet as I don't have the red key ( which I know is a must), so I don't want to risk messing up the immobiliser.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959235
31/12/2009 19:34
31/12/2009 19:34

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

if its the standard fiat or meta one it only sounds and doesnt immobilise, my 20vt 98 had a metta and i just unpluged it, though now im thinking, why didnt you use the wires that went to the alarm brain, all the power, siren, earth, indicators, door switch, bonet switch, boot switch, ect are all there in the alarms loom, all you need to do is probe, tag,join, solder and the job is done much quicker

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959292
31/12/2009 23:41
31/12/2009 23:41

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

you know what i avoid bmw's when it comes to alarms, i watched my work mate do a viper alarm into an old E39 and AGRO isnt the word! i think he was doing it for about 4 hours and hes my guy that i get to do the one i hate doing lol, thing is now because everying new runs on canbus theres not alot involved in fiting alarm nowadays, its mostly plug and play with a bit of setting up on the laptop.
i need to book up a training day with directed soon

lol hey your not far wrong 4 door version you gotta use blocking diodes on all 4 door switch wires to stop back feeds etc and a change over relay for the boot lol , hey what about old jags? positive ground lol vintage mercs sealed dash no imob cut offs, I still think the mr2 was the pisser loom behind back seat extending Sonics and led doors etc lol

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959297
01/01/2010 00:06
01/01/2010 00:06

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

if its the standard fiat or meta one it only sounds and doesnt immobilise, my 20vt 98 had a metta and i just unpluged it, though now im thinking, why didnt you use the wires that went to the alarm brain, all the power, siren, earth, indicators, door switch, bonet switch, boot switch, ect are all there in the alarms loom, all you need to do is probe, tag,join, solder and the job is done much quicker

Thats exactly the wires i've used (off the original alarm unit), but oviously i coudn't find the door wires from there as i was looking for positive feed.

But theres still a socket connected to the alarm unit which i didn't diconnect as i wasn't too sure what it was for. But if your sure its not related to the immobiliser i'm going to try and disconnect it and see what happens.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959349
01/01/2010 09:40
01/01/2010 09:40

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

Ok so that socket must be the power supply for the alarm.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959468
01/01/2010 18:49
01/01/2010 18:49

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

sorry for chipping in again dudes,[Sounds like a recipe for kaboooom ] but rule no 1 as an alarm fitter is or at least used to be!! make your own connections never use existing alarm wires as dodgy connections, dry joints, or faults, broken circuits, even shorts, will be transferred to the new items,
You found the door switch wire yet??Hey come on you two this isn’t even funny! hems [no disrespect]sounds like you don’t know haw to test a circuit so Just go to the interior light for the switch wire and follow the wire down the a pillar etc lol lol

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #959782
02/01/2010 17:02
02/01/2010 17:02

H
Hemz
Unregistered
Hemz
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: the_mule
sorry for chipping in again dudes,[Sounds like a recipe for kaboooom ] but rule no 1 as an alarm fitter is or at least used to be!! make your own connections never use existing alarm wires as dodgy connections, dry joints, or faults, broken circuits, even shorts, will be transferred to the new items,
You found the door switch wire yet??Hey come on you two this isn’t even funny! hems [no disrespect]sounds like you don’t know haw to test a circuit so Just go to the interior light for the switch wire and follow the wire down the a pillar etc lol lol

Thats the first thing i tried, but my interior light isn't working, and i iv'e checked all the fuses, and still can't get it to work, so i gave up on that route and am trying to to get the feed directly off the door wiring loom.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #960060
03/01/2010 03:09
03/01/2010 03:09

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Hemz
Originally Posted By: the_mule

Thats the first thing i tried, but my interior light isn't working, and i iv'e checked all the fuses, and still can't get it to work, so i gave up on that route and am trying to to get the feed directly off the door wiring loom.

How did you test as that was the first thing you tried? And what did you find? As it shouldn’t matter weather the light is working or not there should still be a switch wire? Unless you have blown various circuits although there should still be a switch wire as it’s an earth? What tools are you using to test etc?and what do you find?

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #1026635
26/04/2010 15:04
26/04/2010 15:04
Normanton, West Yorkshire.
S
stinky Offline
Enjoying the ride
stinky  Offline
Enjoying the ride
S

Did you find this Hemz as I'm on the search myself?

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: stinky] #1026851
26/04/2010 21:35
26/04/2010 21:35

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

god people this isnt hard, its like the MOST basic thing to find, if you pull out the old alarm, chuck it in the bin, probably the plugs you will find it in 30 seconds, its a negitive triger, the test light needs to be positive so attach to a +wire, then probably the old alarms plugs for the wire, remember you need to be opening and closing the doors to find the right one

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #1026853
26/04/2010 21:36
26/04/2010 21:36

T
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
TheAudioGuy
Unregistered
T

if the drivers door dont work, use the passengers door

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: ] #1029268
01/05/2010 09:56
01/05/2010 09:56
S
stinky Offline
Enjoying the ride
stinky  Offline
Enjoying the ride
S

I think it needs to be the drivers door really, so that the auto lock doesn't kick in after you've opened the drivers door. (unless they are the same, but they llok to be different)

Anyway as far as I can tell it is a grey/white wire in a large connector block tucked up under the dash. The cables are rapped in fabric and you can see the loose conncetor block up above the fuse board. On mine the connector pulled down to below the fuxe board quite easily so I can get access.

My meter says it's the correct wire.

I'll try hooking the wire up over the next few days to make sure it works OK with the alarm.

Re: replacing the old alarm system [Re: stinky] #1034289
10/05/2010 23:49
10/05/2010 23:49
S
stinky Offline
Enjoying the ride
stinky  Offline
Enjoying the ride
S

yes it's that grey/white wire as above.