» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 247 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,622
Posts1,341,313
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,826
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
700 miles and 1 breakdown in 2 days #947711
08/12/2009 13:39
08/12/2009 13:39

A
AP1
Unregistered
AP1
Unregistered
A

I had a big drive to a wedding, left nice and early with time to spare. I even chucked my multitool in-I know the Coupe can get upset on cold days. I got around 30 miles when the temp gauge started to edge past the middle and the fan cut in-this was in torrential rain on a cold morning. I pulled over to check the cause, I had changed the thermostat and hose of death last week.
The exp. tank was low but no obvious leak. I decided to carry on to the next petrol station to buy some coolant.

So at the petrol station I bought some coolant, topped it up and found a slight weep from the hose of death at the block connection. Out with the multitool-Gerber Evo-recommended for your Christmas list, and tightened up the clip. I then bled the cooling system. Problem sorted, off to my wedding, or so I thought. I went to start the car, nothing, dead as a dead thing, like a parrot or dodo. I checked the basics, battery connections tight, all fuses ok. I was puzzled, I had stopped before I had cooked the engine, there was no telltale seized click from the engine. I was 95% sure my non start was due to another issue.

With the clock ticking to get to the wedding I decided to call the breakdown people. I had just signed up with Autoaid, you pay for the breakdown then reclaim the cost. It is very reasonable compared to the big names. The truck arrived within 40 mins. I had visions of no wedding and my car being taken home as a poor advert for Fiat reliablity. Well I explained my tale of woe to the mechanic, feeling only mildly silly as a few years back I used to do the job he was doing. After a few minutes he said "I'll just check the electrics, I"ll get my jump pack" Low and behold, flat battery. My daily commute is 3 miles each way and my battery never gets much charge on this run. Come the winter time and all the added load and cold days, result-a flat battery. I had the ignition on and a few other things whilst bleeding the cooling system. I'm asking Santa for a battery charger now.

I arrived at the wedding bang on the start time, unfortunately the bride was early. I missed the service but enjoyed the rest of the wedding.

Lessons from the breakdown:

1. Always do a long drive to check your repairs

2. Gerber multitools are great

3. Autoaid are great

Observations on a 700 mile drive:

1. My Coupe is standard engine wise, bar a Miltek. Even on empty roads in countryside it feels very fast and it is easy to exceed speed limits-accidently. Do I need it to go any faster-as in with a Flea map?

2. The standard front pads are rubbish, you have about one high speed application then fade.

3. The standard headlights are pants, but I don't fancy hids as I like height adj. and I kept getting dazzled by others cars hids.

Happy driving and Christmas.

Last edited by AP1; 08/12/2009 14:31. Reason: spelling
Re: 700 miles and 1 breakdown in 2 days [Re: ] #947757
08/12/2009 14:24
08/12/2009 14:24
SE Essex
charlie_croker Offline
I need some sleep
charlie_croker  Offline
I need some sleep

SE Essex
A great post (Great tip re: Multi-tool and charging battery btw).

Pleased you made the wedding.

Merry Christmas and Happy driving right back at you!

Happy
Re: 700 miles and 1 breakdown in 2 days [Re: ] #947764
08/12/2009 14:38
08/12/2009 14:38

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: AP1

1. My Coupe is standard engine wise, bar a Miltek. Even on empty roads in countryside it feels very fast and it is easy to exceed speed limits-accidently. Do I need it to go any faster-as in with a Flea map?

2. The standard front pads are rubbish, you have about one high speed application then fade.

3. The standard headlights are pants, but I don't fancy hids as I like height adj. and I kept getting dazzled by others cars hids.

Happy driving and Christmas.

and a happy christmas to you too! glad you had a good day and no damage to the coupe....

my penny's worth -

1/ my car at the moment is standard but i went for the flea map to ensure the engine was strong, and that the fuelling was correct. he found that mine was putting out a lot of power for the standard set-up, which was causing the engine to run lean under pressure! you say yours feels fast too, could possibly have the same issue as i was trying to avoid. all in all, i recommend it for safer driving, a few more horses, and smoother power delivery.

2/ pagid yellows are very good, my stopping is now great - which is just as well given the power i was found to be running

3/ hids are great, and certainly better than not being able to see much in a fast car

like i say though, each to their own and that's my experience so far.....

Re: 700 miles and 1 breakdown in 2 days [Re: ] #947767
08/12/2009 14:46
08/12/2009 14:46

A
AP1
Unregistered
AP1
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the tips, will give some thought to the pads.