» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (StuartG, Edinburgh), 135 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,641
Posts1,341,438
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,524
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,851
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motorbike dented the coupe!! #896736
09/09/2009 20:13
09/09/2009 20:13

P
phatphiat
Unregistered
phatphiat
Unregistered
P

Going to work this morning and a complete censored on a motorbike rode down the nearside of the coupe whilst I was turning left!!

The censored didn't quite manage to stop and ended up creasing the wing and bonnet.

Before I knew it the missus was out the car and giving him a good earbashing shout

After I calmed her down I managed to get his details. I also told him a freind of mine (a local trafic bobby) might get a copy of these so his stupid behavour dosen't happen again!

I don't know about anyone else but I'm none too keen of motorcyclists. Alot of them are complete loser

Anyone got the detials of a good bodyshop cos' its not driving quite stirght

Last edited by Theresa; 09/09/2009 23:56. Reason: Removed two words that some may find offensive and also isn't a nice way to decribe a motorcyclist. Please don't repeat them - thanks.
Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896751
09/09/2009 20:31
09/09/2009 20:31
Watford
MarioCirillo Offline
Ex El Presidente
MarioCirillo  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Watford
where you based?

Proud Owner of Rosso Speed LE041
Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: MarioCirillo] #896802
09/09/2009 21:35
09/09/2009 21:35

P
phatphiat
Unregistered
phatphiat
Unregistered
P

Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border. ie midlands.

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896877
09/09/2009 23:11
09/09/2009 23:11

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

i stand by my comments on motorcycles/undertaking in previous threads.

feel for you matey

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896887
09/09/2009 23:34
09/09/2009 23:34
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Driving back from Norfolk tonight and a motorcycle was playing chicken with the traffic on my side of the A11. He caused the truck ahead of me to brake and swerve, then came out again and caused me to move so he could get through. No sooner had he passed me and my mirrors lit up. The car he overtook, causing me to swerve, was an unmarked police car evil laugh

Knicked shocked

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896895
09/09/2009 23:46
09/09/2009 23:46

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

No self respecting biker would ever undertake in that manner. I've seen the odd scooter do it. Infact, the other day, I saw a kid on a scooter wearing a bicycle helmet (unbuckled I may add) riding down high street in Belfast city centre. censored

Anyway. If he'd been a real biker, he'd have been carefully filtering down the outside of traffic, at which point an 80 yr old in a mini metro would suddenly decide (without indicating) to turn right into a non exsistant junction and the biker would have ended up in the back of an ambulance.

BTW, my deepest sympathies...not for your coop, but for you in regard of your missus. Who the fluffy duck starts giving an ear bashing to anyone who has just crashed on a motorbike. I could understand it if he'd roared down the road on the back wheel and takin out your youngster but foly huck. The maternal type is she laugh

Jez man what's it like getting caught sneaking in at 5am on a Saturday morning. Bet you wish you knew a bloke with a motorbike helmet then rofl

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: Barmybob] #896897
09/09/2009 23:50
09/09/2009 23:50

T
termigonad
Unregistered
termigonad
Unregistered
T

Yeh! lets slag off motorcyclist cos us car drivers never ever do any thing wrong. Refering to motorcyclist as "organ doners" I find rather offensive.

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896904
10/09/2009 00:00
10/09/2009 00:00
england
C
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop
C

england
I generally find bikers are pretty good on the road. You do have to watch for them coming through when your in queues though shocked Coincidentaly this morning I came across a nutter. Came up on my left at a roundabout and went in front of me. I had to stay behind him round the roundabout even though he was slower than me rolleyes As we exited onto a DC he winds it up and is heading very close to the offside wing of a transit van as he accelerates into the outside lane. He looks over his shoulder quickly as he does this but it would have been far too late if it wasn't clear. As he clears the van he's back into the lefthand lane to undertake some other traffic and decides a wheelie is the best way of doing this crazy

Last edited by came2dance; 10/09/2009 00:01.

[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: came2dance] #896917
10/09/2009 00:35
10/09/2009 00:35

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

In his defence on the quick look c2d. Most of us used to bikes are guilty of that. It doesn't take very long to realise if you are accelerating (and it dont even have to be red lining) theres no average car going to be on your tail. Not even magic 3rd on the coop compares to winding on my old humble 600 bandit. It's just not going to be there.

Re: Organ Donor dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #896957
10/09/2009 08:16
10/09/2009 08:16

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

i'm always very vigilant about bikers and especially so in towns/cities - the worst thing is, you never know which side they're going to come past on

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897088
10/09/2009 11:54
10/09/2009 11:54

S
splateagle
Unregistered
splateagle
Unregistered
S

Four wheels good. Two wheels bad.

It's a gross generalisation I know, and in fairness some of my best friends are bikers/cyclists so I know that a great many two-wheelers are responsible and considerate road users... and that they all too often get a rotten deal out of sharing the road with us four-wheeled types.

That said a shocking number of both bikers and cyclists are utter censored and two wheeled vehicles easily account for 90% of the most terrifyingly reckless behaviour I've seen on the roads.

On the bright side of your ding phat, at least it was low speed and nobody was hurt... my sympathies though: it bites when someone else's carelessness damages your pride and joy.

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897109
10/09/2009 12:18
10/09/2009 12:18
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
Originally Posted By: splateagle
.......and nobody was hurt...

And that is, without any doubt, the most important part of any collision, and often has to be repeatedly pointed out to the protagonists at the scene.

Metal can be repaired, heck it can even be replaced if the worst came to the worst but try putting a heartbeat back into a lifeless body.........

[Linked Image]
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: stan] #897133
10/09/2009 12:47
10/09/2009 12:47
2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
B
bezzer Offline
Forum is my life
bezzer  Offline
Forum is my life
B

2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
Originally Posted By: stan
Metal can be repaired, heck it can even be replaced if the worst came to the worst but try putting a heartbeat back into a lifeless body.........

Very deep stan, very deep ooo

A good point, well made.

......My Boy...... (PB #7)
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897137
10/09/2009 12:51
10/09/2009 12:51
Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Cappo Offline
Forum is my life
Cappo  Offline
Forum is my life

Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Originally Posted By: phatphiat
a motorbike rode down the nearside of the coupe whilst I was turning left!!

See, if you had been a biker yourself, you'd have CHECKED your LH side before making the turn.

Let those 4-wheel-only motorists who have never had an accident or completed a dodgy manouevre cast the first crash helmet.

Biker Bashing....ZZzzzzzzz....about as predictable as religious quarrels.

Habeus Maximus V8 Nihilum

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: Cappo] #897286
10/09/2009 16:03
10/09/2009 16:03

S
splateagle
Unregistered
splateagle
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Cappo

Biker Bashing....ZZzzzzzzz

Speaking purely for myself, I wasn't bashing. The Animal Farm reference was supposed to be semi tongue-in-cheek.

The fact that you can wriggle a bike into unexpected places/accelerate very quickly does mean that some bikers are tempted into unpredictable behaviour and irresponsible manoeuvres putting themselves and others at risk.

Car drivers are far from innocent as a group too, but they don't pop up unexpectedly where they're not supposed to be. Nor do responsible bikers, it's just that the irresponsible drivers are kept from certain brands of idiocy by the physical constraints of being in a car.

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897316
10/09/2009 17:37
10/09/2009 17:37

S
Spee
Unregistered
Spee
Unregistered
S

Bit harsh that, most motorbikers are very careful, and with good reason to be fair as 60% of car drivers are useless!

Bad luck, but lay off bikers!

G

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897368
10/09/2009 19:29
10/09/2009 19:29

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

I agree, bikers only do what car drivers wish they could in traffic situations. Still think they blame car drivers too much - most of the time you don't expect a vehicle to be travelling at speed in stationary traffic 2 lanes = 2 vehicles not 2 cars and a bike!

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897374
10/09/2009 19:39
10/09/2009 19:39

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

Well the stats show that 50% of all RTAs involving a motorbike have been caused by car drivers, and as the police appear to be perfectly accepting of motorcycles filtering through traffic in a responsible manner, I'd suggest you rethink your two lane equation. smile

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897442
10/09/2009 21:27
10/09/2009 21:27

O
owl10
Unregistered
owl10
Unregistered
O

sorry to hear about the coupe.

whether on two wheels or four, observation is key.

Personally i'm always checking my lh mirror in the coupe (not saying you dont btw, just making a general statement), as a matter of course, even on motorways etc, never have too much observation.

On the bike as well, always have to look around, and remember that it doesnt matter who's in the right & wrong I have to give way -its going to hurt me more even if i'm in the right!

Idiots on two & four wheels everywhere, some intentionaly reckless, others just daydreaming or whatever with no clue whats going on around them, i think the latter are worse TBH, as you can spot the recklessly (aggresive ?) drivers and plan for it as you approach, and they often have fairly good awareness (probably looking out for rozzers!), though not always.

Anyway, hope its fixed soon, seems like an open & shut case as far as insurance are concerned

anyway,

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897449
10/09/2009 21:33
10/09/2009 21:33
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Originally Posted By: owl10
Personally i'm always checking my lh mirror in the coupe (not saying you dont btw, just making a general statement), as a matter of course, even on motorways etc, never have too much observation.

Quite. Looking at the cars is a mistake; you need to know where the *gaps* are and how they're moving (and changing size) relative to you.

Once you have that sorted in your head, it's easy to tell when a space suddenly isn't where it ought to be, as in full of bike!

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897451
10/09/2009 21:35
10/09/2009 21:35

P
philiplazyjourno
Unregistered
philiplazyjourno
Unregistered
P

I generally find bikers are a damn sight more aware than car drivers - probably because most of them also drive cars.

Plus, as a cyclist, the amount of times I've had car drivers half overtaking me, and then slamming on their brakes to turn left, leaving me with nowhere to go but into their car...

That said, bikers are a million miles away from cyclists, most cyclists seem to be suicidal. Hopefully at some point some sort of test/insurance will occure, so they're responsible for their actions. I hate the way so many of them just presume that you'll see them cutting in and out, and that you'll move to accomodate them however much like a **** they ride.

Last edited by philiplazyjourno; 10/09/2009 21:37.
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897583
11/09/2009 07:47
11/09/2009 07:47
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
As said above I assume as an experienced(?) driver you checked your LH mirror before signalling* and before manouvering? Yet somehow you missed a bike? If he was in your blind spot he should then have been within your peripheral vision while checking your LH mirror.

Seems like there were two at fault here. Perhaps your missus should have given you a gobfull as well?

* I also assume you are one of the few drivers who appear to know how to use indicators!

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897752
11/09/2009 13:19
11/09/2009 13:19

S
splateagle
Unregistered
splateagle
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: belfastjohn
Well the stats show that 50% of all RTAs involving a motorbike have been caused by car drivers, and as the police appear to be perfectly accepting of motorcycles filtering through traffic in a responsible manner, I'd suggest you rethink your two lane equation. smile

The phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" springs to mind hehe out of curiosity john where are your stats from?

I think Muzzie was pretty much spot on with his "equation" and more to the point, he's nailed the crux of this: it's not that bikers are reckless and drivers are saints, it's that bikers have more opportunities to take chances than drivers do.

Does "filtering through traffic in a responsible manner" equate with slamming up the inside too fast to stop in time when a car in front turns right left? (which is what the biker who hit phat's Coupe was doing).

I did a (completely subjective and unscientific) "pub poll" of a few friends who are bikers (and whose judgement I respect) about passing on the inside. The consensus seemed to be that as rule they wouldn't, but under certain circumstances they'd bend that rule... which kinda reinforces the point above. The problem isn't that bikers are reckless, but that bikers have more opportunities than drivers to bend their own rules.

Last edited by splateagle; 11/09/2009 15:27. Reason: fixed glaring error kindly pointed out by belfastjohn
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897789
11/09/2009 14:07
11/09/2009 14:07

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

Firstly you'll note that I said filtering on the inside was not something any sensible biker would do Splateagle. Mind you I'm the sort that will tut at the sight of motorbike sitting 2 feet of the kerb rather than well positioned firmly in their lane. And tut when I see bikers dragging their feet as they accelerate off the lights in a look at me in my drag stance kinda way.

If a bike is flying up the inside how would a car turning right be a problem???? Oh and I cant see how the guy could have been 'flying' as you put it, and walked away unscathed. That just isn't very likely at all, now is it?

As for the stats, they come straight from a government bike awareness campaign thats been running over here for quite some time.

And having held a full bike licence since the mid 80's and currently having 13 yrs no claims on my bike insurance, I don't really need to do a poll to understand biking, bikers and what they do and dont do on the road.

Filtering is perfectly acceptable behaviour. And if car drivers aren't prepared or willing to take the actions of all road users into consideration then they shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897853
11/09/2009 15:41
11/09/2009 15:41

S
splateagle
Unregistered
splateagle
Unregistered
S

easy there john, I wasn't meaning to pick holes in your stats, I was just curious where they came from, government stats are renowned for being unbiased and reliable after all hehe

(seriously though thanks for pointing out my glaring goof - I meant left of course! banghead now fixed)

"Flying" is a relative term, what would be a low speed in some circumstances might be reckless in others - for instance 10-15mph probably wouldn't have injured the rider but could still have been too fast to stop. That's all I meant. Clearly whoever this guy was was going too fast to stop so "flying" seemed reasonable.

My point (again) is that the issue here isn't demonising bikers, it's noting that bikers have more opportunities to things that might be considered reckless.

I couldn't agree more that all road users should take the actions of all other road users into consideration. On passing my test I was wisely advised by an elderly aunt to "drive as if everyone else on the road doesn't know how" (and she was a total loon behind the wheel, neatly underlining her point!) but there are limits.

However defensive of bashed bikers you may feel, I don't think it's fair to suggest that on this occasion the driver was at fault is all.

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897916
11/09/2009 16:26
11/09/2009 16:26

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

I never suggested phat was at fault. ooo

I was just defending the bikers right to filter, although not on the inside. laugh

In saying that there's friends of mine dont like filtering so rarely do it. I on the otherhand did it all the time. So much so after a 5 year spell of exclusively riding a bike, found myself having to hit the brakes at a set of traffic lights as I automatically went to filter, forgeting for an instant I was now in a car! crazy

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897926
11/09/2009 16:39
11/09/2009 16:39
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: splateagle
However defensive of bashed bikers you may feel, I don't think it's fair to suggest that on this occasion the driver was at fault is all.

WRT my earlier post, although I don't think he was entirely at fault, he certainly contributed to the accident by not being aware of the bike on his LH side. Whether or not the bike should have been there, it would appear he turned left without checking his mirror. Now it may be because I ride a bike, but I never turn left or right in a car without checking my mirrors and glancing over the relevant shoulder.

It's called a lifesaver. On a bike it might save mine. In a car it just might save someone else's.

NB By turn L or R I mean any deviation to L or R ie changing lanes, overtaking, joining a motorway/dual carriageway et al.

Last edited by Roadking; 11/09/2009 16:46. Reason: Clarification of turn.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: Roadking] #897931
11/09/2009 16:47
11/09/2009 16:47

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

I do that too RK, rear view mirror, wing mirror, then the old life saver over the shoulder. Definately a bike habit that follows you into the car

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: ] #897939
11/09/2009 17:00
11/09/2009 17:00

S
splateagle
Unregistered
splateagle
Unregistered
S

I was just defending the bikers right to filter, although not on the inside. laugh

Ah! Makes much more sense - thanks for the clarification I'd not understood that - I've no problem with bikers filtering on the outside, inside is another kettle of badgers...

...forgeting for an instant I was now in a car! crazy

laugh been there! (not on a bike mind, but the old autopiloting thing gets us all)

As for RK's lifesaver - totally agree... is it just me that finds the Coupe has a honking great blind spot over the right shoulder? I used to usually check over the shoulder but after my first week in the Coupe it became automatic after discovering (in a blood-ran-cold kinda motorway moment) that there could be a LWB transit hiding back there and I'd not have seen it in the mirror!

Never sure if it was the car or just my driving position but a good lesson to have learned either way I reckon.

Re: Motorbike dented the coupe!! [Re: Roadking] #898011
11/09/2009 19:08
11/09/2009 19:08
Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Cappo Offline
Forum is my life
Cappo  Offline
Forum is my life

Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Originally Posted By: Roadking
[quote=splateagle]

Now it may be because I ride a bike, but I never turn left or right in a car without checking my mirrors and glancing over the relevant shoulder.

Same here, I always do as well. It's a very good habit to get into, but I'm sure mine is/has dervied from riding a bike.

In fact (and I'm dead serious) I think it would make car-only drivers MUCH safer & much more aware if a bike test was part of getting your car licence (and maybe vice versa if you only wanted a bike license?). Unless you use both modes of transport, perhaps you don't appreciate the other one's viewpoint (and I mean that in all respects, not just how your rearview mirror works).

Last edited by Cappo; 11/09/2009 19:09. Reason: Yes, I do realise that wouldn't work for the poor old dear taking her test at 99 years old, or the dude with no legs, but there could be exceptions, before you start!

Habeus Maximus V8 Nihilum

Page 1 of 2 1 2