Please read this if you want to contribute to the FAQ.

Listed below are the questions we've had suggested for the FAQ so far and here's how I'd like to approach this.

1. If you want to answer a question PM me the question you want to have a go at.

2. I'll put that question in bold with your name next to it to show it's taken.

3. Write your answer and PM it to me. I'll change that question to italics to show it's complete.

4. I'll do whatever spelling/grammar editing I think needs to be done to your answer, but I won't change the content. I'll then add it to the draft FAQ document I'll hold.

5. When we've answered all of the questions I'll post all of the answers in a new thread and throw them open to discussion, so that everybody can have some input and ensure that the answers are correct.

THe list of questions follows - If you have any new questions post them in the other FAQ thread and I'll append them to the list.

1. What is insurance?

2. What is the legal requirement for insurance? AndrewR

3. What are the different types of insurance?

4. What do I have to declare?

5. Are there any tips for getting cheaper insurance?

6. What is fronting? Skins

7. What does the entitlement to drive other vehicles with 3rd party insurance mean? AndrewR

8. What should I do after an accident? Hamster

9. Should I make a claim?

10. How do I make a claim?

11. What happens when you make a claim?

12. What happens if I have an accident with an uninsured driver?

13. What affect do points/claims have on insurance?

14. What is NCB? Skins

15. What is protected NCB?

16. Why does my post code affect my premiums?

17. Why is it cheaper if my mum, wife or girlfriend are named drivers?

18. What are insurance groups?

19. Why are some cars in the same insurance group more expensive to insure than others?

20. How is it that the police know if I am insured or not when they stop me?

21. When I fill in my registration number on an on-line enquiry why do my vehicle details appear?

22. What is the difference between an intermediary/broker and an insurer?

23. What are the exemptions to most standard motor policies and what do they mean?

24. Are there any tips on how to handle insurers that I've have been with for a long time?

25. What is the difference between a sales person, an underwriter and an acutary (and which should I ask advice from if I need to ask me insurer a question)?

26. How do mass market insurance models work?

27. What happens when an underwriter sees a quote?

29. What are my options when requesting non-standard endorsements?

30. Can I used NCB on 2 cars at once?

31. What are the different classes of insurance, SDP, business class 1, etc.?

32. What happens if I fail to disclose information or give false information when getting insurance?

33. Am I still insured if my car is defective in some way?

34. Am I still insured if my MOT has expired? Skins

35. How do I get a 3rd party extension?

As you'll see I've picked my first question, but I'm sure nobody was going to fight over it.

For handing out other questions it's first-come, first-served and I'd ask that you please only do one question at a time. If you PM me a list of questions I'll assign you the first free one on your list.

Finally, please make sure you've been assigned a question before you answer it.

Right. Thank you all. Let's go for it!

Last edited by AndrewR; 13/09/2006 16:02.

Dear monos, a secret truth.