» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (respace, CanadianCoupe, Edinburgh), 292 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,624
Posts1,341,347
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,833
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1550792
27/09/2015 20:14
27/09/2015 20:14
SE Essex
charlie_croker Offline
I need some sleep
charlie_croker  Offline
I need some sleep

SE Essex
Well I voted for him and joined the Labour party, I think that a lot of people have missed the point, in the 70s a similar thing happened to the Conservative Party, a challenger with grassroots appeal overturned the establishment.
Why can't the same thing happen to the left? as well as Right wing?

I should be a natural Tory (Hell I was a member of the Conservative Party) , I earn an extremely generous remuneration package, own my own house, (Paid the mortgage off in full earlier this year). BUT, I just cannot warm to these Eton boys. (and that was before the Pigs head scandal came out).

I think society has become unjust, unfair and it needs to change.

So come the next election, I will be contributing towards the Labour party and will be campaigning on their behalf, strangely I have found a number of my friends, all in similar circumstances to myself, feeling the same.

Happy
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551064
30/09/2015 12:43
30/09/2015 12:43
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
A Facebook friend of mine posted this morning about how Labour were positioning themselves on the left to attract those who had become disillusioned by New Labour and that they're weren't going to move right to attract away Conservative/UKIP voters.

I looked at the numbers and responded thusly...

Originally Posted By: Me, on Facebook
Unfortunately the maths doesn't hold on this one. If we re-run the May election and assume that everyone is going to vote the same way (i.e. we're making the assumption that Corbyn won't lose any Labour centrist voters - this is obviously an unsafe assumption, but let's run with it)

On top of May's votes lets say that 50% of those voting Lib Dem or Green are the disillusioned ex-Labour voters, who are all going to come home to the party. So in each constituency we'll add 50% of the combined LD and Green vote to Labour's vote and...
Labour would pick up an extra 15 seats. They'd be sufficiently strategic to remove the Tory's parliamentary majority so we'd be left with a minority Conservative government or a Conservative-led coalition, but we'd still have a Conservative government.

To get from there to a commons majority Labour is looking at coaxing out people who stayed at home in May. To get that commons majority it would need 417,000 people across 94 constituencies to (a) turn out and (b) vote Labour. Nationally that equates to about 2.8M non-voters turning out to vote Labour.

I'm not saying that this is impossible, but those are the numbers and they don't paint a picture of electoral victory for Corbyn, because:
1. He will lose voters from the right of the party, and probably MPs as well.
2. Putting defections from the Lib Dems and Greens at 50% is wildly enthusiastic.
3. The defining feature of non-voters is that they don't vote.

Like it or not, Blair won by moving Labour to the centre, where they could attract the left wings of the Conservatives. If you rule out doing that then you're positioning the party for defeat and the country for another half decade of Tory rule.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551068
30/09/2015 13:11
30/09/2015 13:11
Dark side of the Moon
H_R Offline
My life on the forum
H_R  Offline
My life on the forum

Dark side of the Moon
I think that's about right!

All Corbyn will attract will be Liberals and Greens!

I cannot see them attracting any Tories! so its looking like, "more of the same"

At least until Labour stick to there core values "working Class"
Then ditch all the liberal do gooding nonsense!
Have a fair and drop the "no limits" immigration policy!
When human rights are involved the british citizens human rights should always out trump the foreign nationals, i.e recent report on the Libyan officers being trained in the uk (now a convicted rapist) who went on the run and raped a woman in the uk is now seeking asylum! WTF!

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551069
30/09/2015 13:18
30/09/2015 13:18
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Andrew, when it comes to fiddling with numbers, I'm not going to challenge you. Frankly, I don't think I'm challenging the assertion in the final sentence of your reply either.

However, there are at least 2 ways in which the argument you give above may not end up with that result.

Fanciful way: The voting British people awaken from a centre-right slumber and Corbyn's message suddenly inspires a new wave of political thought; it touches a nerve with disillusioned Lib-Dems, fed up of no longer standing for radicalism, with Tories who suddenly have a crisis of conscience (we're running with unsafe assumptions here), with current and former Labour supporters who feel as thought the Party has come home and... a lot of people who have never hitherto engaged with politics, but suddenly see that maybe it's not all about shiny suits and slick PR. An uprising of reasonable, untidily dressed, previously apathetic ordinary people sweeps Corbyn to power.

More likely way: Corbyn and McDonnell enjoy a short-lived upwelling of support from people pissed off with the status quo. In a couple of years' time, it has died away, but left a residual left-leaning imprint on the ensuing leadership challenge. Enter the new, smarter and far-more electable Labour leader, still espousing a watered down version of the Corbyn message, but mainly destined to win because it's a 2-party system and we like to give the other guy a go after a decade or so, without giving much of a toss about his (hey, or maybe her) policies.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551070
30/09/2015 13:27
30/09/2015 13:27

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

And if the SNP were still returning MPs in single figures that view may have held some water. But whilst there's fifty-seven seats that will only vote for a left of centre party, Blair's soft right centrism is dead in the water. True, Blair won three elections, but he never increased his majority through any of the terms - each election was a thinner win.

The defining feature of non-voters isn't necessarily that they don't vote, it may be that they were never offered a reason to.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551073
30/09/2015 14:48
30/09/2015 14:48
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
I think that to be fair to Blair he was, up until 9/11, a pretty good progressive PM. He got through minimum wage laws, increased employment rights, the Human Rights Act, the Freedom of Information Act, he lifted the ban on gays in the military and lowered the age of consent for homosexuals to match the age for heterosexuals.

The war on terror rightly tarnished his reputation, but I don't think you can accuse the start of his premiership of being "soft-right" and, as you point out, that was when his majority was highest.

Not that it matters, because the SNP will work with whoever it suits them to work with. They are a nationalist party, not a progressive one and they will drop any progressive objections at the drop of a hat if it moves them closer to nationalist objectives. They're also fairly terrible at governing (look at the state of Scotland's secondary education and its police service) so it remains to be seen whether they'll maintain enough nationalist support to re-take 57 seats in 2020.

Even if they do Labour would need to take 38 seats more in 2020 for a Labour/SNP alliance to hold a majority, and even if they did that it's possible that by then EVEL laws will mean they couldn't effectively govern anyway.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway, as I would dearly love to see a left-leaning government in power.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551075
30/09/2015 14:51
30/09/2015 14:51
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Chertsey in the Thames
"But seriously, what did Tony Blair do for us"
The roads...

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551077
30/09/2015 14:57
30/09/2015 14:57
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Getting non voters adds a single vote, yet taking voters from another party is effectively 2 votes - so which should they be targeting?

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: AndrewR] #1551078
30/09/2015 15:07
30/09/2015 15:07

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: AndrewR
but I don't think you can accuse the start of his premiership of being "soft-right" and, as you point out, that was when his majority was highest.

So he was most popular when he was most leftwing.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551079
30/09/2015 15:13
30/09/2015 15:13
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Yes, but he was only mildly left of centre; his government was still sticking to Tory spending plans, introducing PPPs to the health and education sectors and didn't start renationalising services (but did deregulate the banking sector).

Basically I'm saying that because he was at his most popular when at his left-ist it doesn't follow that somebody even further left would be more popular.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551080
30/09/2015 15:23
30/09/2015 15:23

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

I know, I'm just pulling yer whatever it is people pull these days.

Interesting the recent political separation over the self-employed though. Corbyn offering maternity/paternity and other PAYE type benefits and Osbourne floating the possibility of removing travel and subsistence expenses. Currently there are 4.6m self-employed, some of whom have been pushed into it, but a big segment is the post-Thatcher Tory-voting white van man/woman who could now benefit under a Labour government.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551087
30/09/2015 16:07
30/09/2015 16:07
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
I'd imagine the Tories will counter with claims that Labour are the party of high taxation and unstable economies, so that whatever the hard-working self-employed person gains in short-term benefits they'll lose in higher personal taxes/a housing market crash/the whole economy going to the wall/zombie apocalypse/etc.

It's hardly original, but it seems to work for them.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551142
01/10/2015 00:05
01/10/2015 00:05
uk
OnlyItalian Offline
Enjoying the ride
OnlyItalian  Offline
Enjoying the ride

uk
IMO he's shown poor judgement on a couple of occasions already.

And this whole idea of printing money to build houses and for infrastructure projects is madness, particularly in a country which is a net importer.

"Proud owner of LE141 and a 99 VIS broomie "
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551192
01/10/2015 10:11
01/10/2015 10:11
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't show a lot more "poor judgment" and advocate policies deemed "madness" in the coming months (and years if his enemies within don't get to him first). I don't think I'd vote for him, but I'm really looking forward to some robust intellectual debate on policy for a change.
What is starting to make me retch slightly are the pious, smug posts on social media by Labour basically claiming that unless you support Corbyn you're a baby-murdering criminal with no conscience.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551266
01/10/2015 18:00
01/10/2015 18:00
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
So what are everyone's thoughts on the following...

What difference does it make which party / face they're putting forwards, they're all bought and paid for by Israel and will continue with their plan for world dominance and 'greater israel'?

The only things that shines in Corbyn for me are that he reputedly rubbished the 911 narrative and didn't stand up and sing for a person known to be close to the Rothschilds in support of a war that was fought on behalf of Zionism to secure Israel, led by a fat drunk with a gambling addiction who was in their pocket.

I reckon he 'might' even hold his ground when they start leaning on him thumb

Flame suit and tin hat on coat

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Trappy] #1551268
01/10/2015 18:05
01/10/2015 18:05
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Trappy

What difference does it make which party / face they're putting forwards, they're all bought and paid for by Israel and will continue with their plan for world dominance and 'greater israel'?

The only things that shines in Corbyn for me are that he reputedly rubbished the 911 narrative and didn't stand up and sing for a person known to be close to the Rothschilds in support of a war that was fought on behalf of Zionism to secure Israel, led by a fat drunk with a gambling addiction who was in their pocket.

I reckon he 'might' even hold his ground when they start leaning on him thumb

Er, what?

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Trappy] #1551269
01/10/2015 18:14
01/10/2015 18:14
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland

Don't you mean brown shirt and stahlhelm?

Yesterday Sprint Blue 20VT,today Denim Blue TT225
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Trappy] #1551270
01/10/2015 18:20
01/10/2015 18:20
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland

I'm always fascinated by these 'Zionists control the world' conspiracy theories.

They have governments in their pockets, control the world's banks, execute secret plots without the truth ever getting out because they also dominate the media and can orchestrate wars at the drop of a hat.

If all of that is true then they *should* be running the world, they seem like a bunch of guys who really know how to get things done.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551272
01/10/2015 18:30
01/10/2015 18:30
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
I bloody love Mitchell & Webb.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1551345
02/10/2015 09:00
02/10/2015 09:00
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Right wing poster alert! smile

in support of a war that was fought on behalf of Zionism to secure Israel, led by a fat drunk with a gambling addiction who was in their pocket.

Assuming you're talking about WW2 then I think you've been listening to too many Nazi apologists.

As for the anthem people are missing a point here. Whether you support the monarchy or not, it is the "NATIONAL anthem" Not the "Royal Anthem", or the "Queen's Anthem". It is the anthem of the United Kingdom of which he would like to be the PM. If he can't display enough respect to sing our national Anthem, then he shouldn't aspire to run the country.

I think he's a nut job, anyone putting a committed vegan into agriculture is seriously taking the piss or is deluded, next we'll have Rolf Harris as Children's minister. I won't spend two pages saying how I feel about his love affair with the Fenian terrorists or his attitude to the Falklands (needless to say when the Argentinian witch says they've now got a friend...).

But that doesn't detract from the fact I also think he has sincerity and dignity missing from politicians for a long time. I respect him for that.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Roadking] #1551348
02/10/2015 09:59
02/10/2015 09:59
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
Originally Posted By: Roadking
Whether you support the monarchy or not, it is the "NATIONAL anthem" Not the "Royal Anthem", or the "Queen's Anthem". It is the anthem of the United Kingdom of which he would like to be the PM. If he can't display enough respect to sing our national Anthem, then he shouldn't aspire to run the country.

I think that there are plenty of loyal UK citizens who simply have an issue with the words and dreadful dirge that we have as a National Anthem.
I really don't see why it should be considered sacrosanct.

Times change: We no longer sing of " Rebellious Scots to crush" for example, so what is wrong with an adult debate about the present anthem's relevance in the 21st century.

As an aside, have you considered that Jeremy Corbyn simply can't sing and was protecting the ears of those around him?

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551349
02/10/2015 10:11
02/10/2015 10:11
Portsmouth
A
ali_hire Offline
Forum is my life
ali_hire  Offline
Forum is my life
A

Portsmouth
There are, of course, those of us who think that the whole notion of nationality is a little bit silly.

It's amazing that there are many people who feel so entitled to a better life simply because we were born within a set of imaginary lines completely by chance.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: ali_hire] #1551350
02/10/2015 10:18
02/10/2015 10:18
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
but also applies to any number of other cultural, racial, class, economic, geographic and religious categories just as much.

I think the issue with Corbyn and the Anthem is if he just came out and said "I don't want to sing it because of XYZ" or "I can't sing so thought it better to let others take the lead" it would have been a none story. The response that came out (even if it was true) made more out it than it needed to be.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Roadking] #1551352
02/10/2015 10:21
02/10/2015 10:21
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Roadking

As for the anthem people are missing a point here. Whether you support the monarchy or not, it is the "NATIONAL anthem" Not the "Royal Anthem", or the "Queen's Anthem". It is the anthem of the United Kingdom of which he would like to be the PM. If he can't display enough respect to sing our national Anthem, then he shouldn't aspire to run the country.

I'm not sure that's the point I take from it, RK. I think it is perfectly fine for an atheist with Republican beliefs not to sing a song asking God to save a monarch. The establishment is very fond of telling people that if they want change, they should do it from within - this is what that looks like. As has been pointed out by many people - including former service personnel - he did attend and he did so with the dignity you mention yourself.

Also, I'm pretty sure Corbyn would have been branded a disgusting hypocrite by the media if he had sung the anthem.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1551362
02/10/2015 12:05
02/10/2015 12:05
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
As has been pointed out by many people - including former service personnel - he did attend and he did so with the dignity you mention yourself.

I would say he had no choice than to attend. This is one ex-serviceman (one of many) that was not impressed with his stance, and who despises his affection for the IRA (shared by his shadow chancellor) and his stance on the Falklands.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551364
02/10/2015 12:32
02/10/2015 12:32
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
I think affection might be too strong a term for his feelings towards the IRA. I think that as Corbyn is never going to unite his own party on certain issues, it's not surprising a self-confessed right-winger with a bit of a "thing" for military issues is going to have problems giving him their unqualified support!

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551432
02/10/2015 23:59
02/10/2015 23:59

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

RK, sounds like you're going to join up with that un-named General who seriously suggested a military coup if JC looked like getting his feet under the desk.

Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Cooperman] #1551434
03/10/2015 00:14
03/10/2015 00:14
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I don't think Jim is running for office though...

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: Trappy] #1551441
03/10/2015 03:41
03/10/2015 03:41
uk
OnlyItalian Offline
Enjoying the ride
OnlyItalian  Offline
Enjoying the ride

uk

What difference does it make which party / face they're putting forwards, they're all bought and paid for by Israel and will continue with their plan for world dominance and 'greater israel'?o

Everyone who's ever read the basics about this ZOG crap knows that the idea was invented and peddled by neo-nazis and white supremacists in the 70s and 80s.

However, I'm still undecided about what happened on 9/11. Very strange that. Even if molten aluminium from the Boeing explains the molten material flowing down the building, it mixing with water causing the secondary explosions and symmetrical, near free fall speed collapse (seems far fetched to me), that still doesn't explain building 7.

So I'm not totally averse to conspiracy theories, just not this ZOG crap which can't even be called a theory because you need evidence for that.

Last edited by OnlyItalian; 03/10/2015 04:04.

"Proud owner of LE141 and a 99 VIS broomie "
Re: Jeremy Corbyn [Re: OnlyItalian] #1551448
03/10/2015 10:05
03/10/2015 10:05
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Originally Posted By: OnlyItalian

So I'm not totally averse to conspiracy theories, just not this ZOG crap which can't even be called a theory because you need evidence for that.

Here are a couple of good videos to get you thinking.

911 False Flag - American Traitors & Mossad - Where are the Oath Keepers? - Ken O'Keefe

dispatches - inside Britain's Israel Lobby

F****** b****** thing...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3