» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 250 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,623
Posts1,341,317
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,828
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531945
29/03/2015 09:47
29/03/2015 09:47
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Nice to see a Ferrari at the front again!

Shame about the McLarens, though.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531946
29/03/2015 09:48
29/03/2015 09:48

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

James Allison is a genius. Just goes to show what Ferrari can do when they stop arguing among themselves, blaming and firing people.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1531947
29/03/2015 09:50
29/03/2015 09:50
2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
B
bezzer Offline
Forum is my life
bezzer  Offline
Forum is my life
B

2011 and 2015 FCCUK F1 Champ.
FANTASTICO!!!!!

Well done Ferrari. Well done Seb.

A win for Formula 1 today.

......My Boy...... (PB #7)
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531948
29/03/2015 09:51
29/03/2015 09:51
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
Great race, hilarious to hear Hamilton on the radio about not being talked to in the corners.
The floor of the Merc garage will be covered in toys thrown out of a pram tonight....

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531949
29/03/2015 10:55
29/03/2015 10:55
Dark side of the Moon
H_R Offline
My life on the forum
H_R  Offline
My life on the forum

Dark side of the Moon
Ha ha Rosberg made a tit of himself and Hamilton is clearly not happy well done to Vettal and Ferrari for a faultless race!

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531950
29/03/2015 11:08
29/03/2015 11:08
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Great race. Hopefully a competitive season (against all odds!)

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531952
29/03/2015 11:09
29/03/2015 11:09
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
It also makes Horner look like a spoilt kid - there's no way the Mercs will be pegged back now, so Red Bull have a mountain to climb

[Linked Image]
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531953
29/03/2015 11:11
29/03/2015 11:11
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
That was noble from Nikki....

[Linked Image]
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: Nigel] #1531962
29/03/2015 11:35
29/03/2015 11:35

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: Nigel
That was noble from Nikki....

I agree. He understands the bigger picture that Mercedes having competition is good for the sport and genuinely seems to welcome it.

The really interesting thing, is that the Ferrari and Mercedes have different strengths. The Ferrari looks to have more straightline performance and great tyre conservation, but Mercedes have more downforce and traction. The advantage should ebb and flow from track to track.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531972
29/03/2015 12:23
29/03/2015 12:23
Kent, South East
Cooperman Offline
Former Club Membership Secretary
Cooperman  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent, South East
Great race and Ferarri win livened things up a bit, agree RB now have to quit bitching and get their head down. Verstapphen pulled off some great moves for a rookie and showed he deserved his spot also.
Rosberg seems unable to grasp that he needs to drive his own race first and not get so wrapped up in what others may or may not be doing, half the time he seems to ask questions the team are not allowed to answer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531975
29/03/2015 13:01
29/03/2015 13:01

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

Williams were disappointing, button seemed genuinely shocked to be driving around with any pace at all.
Raikkonen - not sure what to make of him but he needs to sort out his quali or he's going to be stuffed.
Great to see vettel and ferrari working as a unit, Mercedes seemed to fall apart. Over confidence showed it's face in lack of planning as they obviously expected an easy one two.
Lewis looked pleased to have competition outside of rosberg, while rosberg seemed clueless throughout.

It needed the safety car and only some teams trying to take advantage to mix things up or the race would have been much duller.

Role on China!

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1531985
29/03/2015 13:48
29/03/2015 13:48
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
I'm not too sure about that race. Ferrari have improved which is great but I can't help feeling that Mercedes were not really performing. After Australia we had Mr tiny tears Horner calling for restrictions to curb the dominant Mercedes and he seemed to have quite a few people supporting him. A race later Mercedes are in a race, competing and loosing out. Yes the safety car and tyre call assisted Ferrari but the Mercedes did seem to be sandbagging. Time will tell I suppose but with the same top three drivers as last year I'm not too sure that a competitive season will follow frown

What is really disappointing is how Williams are starting 2015 much how they started 2014. They just don't seem to be able to come out of the blocks with a fast car. I hope they can develop as well as they did last year but we'll have a few races to wait.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1531986
29/03/2015 13:51
29/03/2015 13:51
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Very interesting reactions all round. Well-aimed point made to Toto Wolff from DC, who said that now nobody can accuse Mercedes of having all their own way. I think it will spur them on.

As many people said before the race, it was all about tyres (though a massively improved Ferrari helped). Merc opted for a 3-stopper without a spare set of Options, whilst Ferrari managed their rubber better in quali and on race day.

Hard to accuse Merc of both overconfidence AND being over-cautious, yet that's how it looks!

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532009
29/03/2015 16:10
29/03/2015 16:10

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

I do not for one moment, believe that Mercedes were sandbagging today. It's a rediculous notion. They may not have got the best out of their car, but they were beaten fait and square in a straigt fight today. The safety car played a part, but the fact is that the Ferrari had much better tyre deg. So they were confident in being able to stay out and lap quickly, while everyone around them had to pit. With both cars in clear air, Lulu wasn't able to make much of a dent into Vettels lead, who was controlling things from the front. Even without the safety car, Vettel would still have been very hard to stop from taking the win.

In Melbourne both Merc drivers were flat-out fighting against each other, lights to flag, yet they only finished 30sec ahead of Vettel. On the face of it, that's a big margin, but Vettel was badly held up by Massas Williams in the first half of the race. When Massa pitted early, Vettel was able to comfortably leapfrog him, even though his tyres were old. Also, Albert Park played to the strengths of the downforce and traction of the Merc, whereas Sepang played to the strengths of the Ferrari's straightline speed and ability to keep the rear tyres alive.

I think people need to cut Williams a bit of slack. They've improved from last year, but it's just that Ferrari are finally making use of the incredible resources they have available. Williams compete on around half the budget.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532013
29/03/2015 16:30
29/03/2015 16:30
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Mercedes didn't deserve to win today. I still think that they're the quicker but the gap is a lot smaller. The circuit is very hard on tyres which obviously helps if you're good on tyres. It's very hard when there's a gap or the cars are on different tyres to be sure who is doing what. There were times in the final stint when Hamilton was closing in but it's impossible to say if Vettel was just managing the gap or going flat out himself.

Whatever, it's really great for the season. It's going to make the 3 days at Silverstone more exciting - especially as I like Hamilton and my daughter is a Vettel fan.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1532017
29/03/2015 17:00
29/03/2015 17:00
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
There was a lot of discussion about Mercedes domination after the season opener. Red Bull urged the FIA look to apply the equalisation mechanism which is built into the rules. Helmut Marko even suggested that RED BULL would remove their support and two teams from F1 if the issue was not addressed.

So race 2 and Mercedes make an odd choice to use the softer tyre in the part of qualifying where they would have near zero fear of failing on the hard tyre. This seriously restricted their tyre choices for Sunday. They then choose to make a pit call under the safety car which lost them even more time on their already limited soft tyres.

Both Mercedes ran the majority of this race on the slower 1 - 1.5 sec per lap harder tyre crazy This could well have been an error if it were on one car but to make the decision for both cars looks very suspicious. Either way it has completely silenced the RED BULL chaps who got stuffed by their budget sister team.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532046
29/03/2015 19:03
29/03/2015 19:03

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

Mercedes made the same pit call under the safety car as the rest of the cars they were racing, with the exception of Ferrari. If they hadn't pitted, they would have had to stretch their first stint on the option tyre too long, which would have left them vulnerable later on in the race as they had higher tyre deg than the Ferraris. Mercedes could only get 14 - 15 laps out of the options before they were finished, which means they had to go to the prime tyre to get an extra few laps. Mercedes chose to use a set of options in Q1 yesterday, as they had already planned to concentrate on using the prime in the race, as they could see that their deg was too high from the free practice sessions.

The prime tyre was not 1 - 1.5 sec/lap slower. In the first 3 laps on the tyre, the option was around 0.6 - 0.8sec/lap faster, but after that, the difference equals out with the prime offering a less severe drop-off and the ability to run 5 - 6 laps longer each stint.

Mercedes would not chose to split the strategies, as it would mean that one of their drivers would inevitably lose out against the other. Can you imagine the furore? They chose the best strategy they thought was best for both drivers. If it were a midfield team, then splitting strategies would be acceptable, but not when both of your drivers are championship contenders and you need to be seen to be treating them equally.

I don't think Mercedes would be too bothered if Red Bull upped sticks. Certainly not enough to deliberately throw a race.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1532052
29/03/2015 19:36
29/03/2015 19:36
kidderminster
nick_d Offline
My life on the forum
nick_d  Offline
My life on the forum

kidderminster
As much as I love F1, I don't think it's completely "corruptless" ....I've had this opinion since what happened in Lewis' s rookie season, how he some how threw away the championship, after being odds on with 2 races left....
That was the season this happened....
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Formula_One_espionage_controversy

As a result Mcclaren were excluded from the constructors championship, which I thought was fair enough if they were guilty, they were still in a great position to win the drivers championship....
Up on discussion of this exclusion with a good friend (who actually worked for Mcclaren in Woking), he seemed to think there was NO WAY the powers that be (Ecclestone) would let Mcclaren win the drivers championship after being found guilty of this "espionage".... Sure enough Mcclaren and Lewis spectacularly threw away the championship over the last 2-3 races....

Ever since that season I don't think I've had the same love for F1, saying all this I think Vettell was superb today, and if he can challenge the mercs in the coming rounds as he did today, it makes for a far more exciting season than we've had for a long time...

368bhp @ 1.5 bar
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532053
29/03/2015 19:53
29/03/2015 19:53
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
The problem with Merc's strategy was that they did less running on the (quicker for them - it was clearly Lewis's preferred tyre - as indicated by the radio traffic) option tyre. The early pitstop also put them behind slower traffic which they had to use up their prime tyres' peak performance trying to pass. All this time, Vettel was making his escape. Merc may have been counting on Ferrari stopping at the safety car too.

Still, there was some good racing up and down the field. Both Verstappen and Bottas did well, the McLarens made progress, the RBs looked poor and Manor at least did some laps. Not sure what Perez was thinking.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1532057
29/03/2015 20:28
29/03/2015 20:28
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Originally Posted By: DennisK
I don't think Mercedes would be too bothered if Red Bull upped sticks. Certainly not enough to deliberately throw a race.

I don't for one minute think they threw the race on purpose crazy

I merely suggest that they wanted to appear less dominant so chose a strategy that would best achieve this outcome. I think that Mercedes still expected to win too but by a smaller margin.

Last year a Red Bull took the first race, before being excluded. The team then bagged a few podiums and three more wins. They achieved a third place in the driver’s championship and second in the manufacturers but the Mercedes was always dominant.

I am sure by the end of the year we’ll know “for sure” if the Ferrari is as competitive as it currently seems. I do hope the Ferrari win is not a flash in the pan and that they and others can challenge and make the season more interesting. At the moment I’m not that optimistic though frown

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1532078
29/03/2015 22:10
29/03/2015 22:10

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
The problem with Merc's strategy was that they did less running on the (quicker for them - it was clearly Lewis's preferred tyre - as indicated by the radio traffic) option tyre. The early pitstop also put them behind slower traffic which they had to use up their prime tyres' peak performance trying to pass. All this time, Vettel was making his escape. Merc may have been counting on Ferrari stopping at the safety car too.

Still, there was some good racing up and down the field. Both Verstappen and Bottas did well, the McLarens made progress, the RBs looked poor and Manor at least did some laps. Not sure what Perez was thinking.

The problem was that Mercedes didn't have the option of running the softer tyre as long as they would have liked and certainly not as long or consistently as the Ferrari. If they hadn't pitted duriung the safety car, Vettel would still have had them later on anyway, with his better tyre conservation. With regards to Lewis' radio chatter about him being on 'the wrong tyre', actually what he really should have said was; 'I wish my tyre deg was low enough to use the last set of used options on my last stint'. laugh The BBC website had the live timing sector times and even in free air, Lulu could only make inroads into Vettel when he had the overlap on fresh rubber.

I do agree though, that the Mercs making their way through traffic of the midfield who didn't stop, did cost them time. But, only Ferrari had sufficient pace and low enough tyre deg to not stop and make Mercedes pay. Also, let's not forget that Kimi was dead last after his puncture and still finished 4th, 17sec ahead of Bottas.

The next race in China is a mixed circuit, with some technical sections, a couple of fast corners and three long straights. A clearer picture will emerge. I do think that the Merc is still the overall quickest package on the grid, especially over one lap where it's downforce can extract more from the tyre. But, Ferrari are a genuine threat, make no mistake.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: Barmybob] #1532082
29/03/2015 22:25
29/03/2015 22:25

D
DennisK
Unregistered
DennisK
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: Barmybob
Last year a Red Bull took the first race, before being excluded. The team then bagged a few podiums and three more wins. They achieved a third place in the driver’s championship and second in the manufacturers but the Mercedes was always dominant.

All three of Ricciardo's 2014 victories were inherited either due to Merc mechnical issues (Canada), driver collisions (Belgium), or inclement weather conditions (Hungary). Today, Ferrari beat Mercedes on performance, in dry conditions.

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532083
29/03/2015 22:31
29/03/2015 22:31
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Well, Lewis has already said that they didn't expect so many cars to stay out. They also said pre-race that a 3-stop strategy was only 2 seconds slower than a 2-stop. They basically gave away the lead in that pitstop and never got it back. I doubt they'd do the same thing again given the option.

I'm absolutely clear the Ferraris are a genuine threat (make no mistake about that either wink ) but I don't think Merc did the best strategy they could have in the circumstances.

Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I'd love to know what Rosberg is thinking at this point too...

Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532096
30/03/2015 00:14
30/03/2015 00:14
Paddock Wood, Kent
A
adder58 Offline
I need some sleep
adder58  Offline
I need some sleep
A

Paddock Wood, Kent
Good to see Ferrari win today. Vettel sounded like he'd won the championship for the first time smile

What I don't get is the engineer telling LH, after his last pit stop, that he will catch SV with 5 Laps to go?? Somehow they thought he would lap 1.5 secs quicker??? On the harder tyre?? Why would they tell him that when it was never going to happen ?!

was Elec blue + owner laugh now use of a mini cooper S 25y independent Mortgage-Financial adviser smile
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: adder58] #1532174
30/03/2015 18:50
30/03/2015 18:50
Kent, South East
Cooperman Offline
Cooperman  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent, South East
I was surprised by that radio message as well especially when I saw he was on the harder tyre on his last stint! Even allowing for the lighter fuel load he simply wasn't quick enough to make up that sort of deficit in 10 laps. Maybe they were trying to seem positive after realising the strategy wasnt going to pan out?

Last edited by Cooperman; 30/03/2015 18:50.

[Linked Image]
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: ] #1532214
31/03/2015 02:00
31/03/2015 02:00
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Barmybob  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Originally Posted By: DennisK
Today, Ferrari beat Mercedes on performance, in dry conditions.

Well yes and no. They beat them but it was on strategy more so than performance. Mercedes had a 20+ second deficit after the safety car and they never got it back. They both closed in but ultimately couldn't do it, especially on the harder of the two tyres.

Like I say lets see a few more races and we'll soon know if it is as close as we all hope.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Malaysian Grand Prix thread [Re: barnacle] #1532250
31/03/2015 12:44
31/03/2015 12:44
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty