» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rosso, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,623
Posts1,341,317
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,828
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New York for Mum's 50th #1426700
11/05/2013 03:14
11/05/2013 03:14
Pistonheads
B
Brewster Offline OP
Forum is my life
Brewster  Offline OP
Forum is my life
B

Pistonheads
My dear "old" mum turns 50 this year. I've booked us Club Class on BA as a surprise, although she knows she must keep the days free for "something." We're going mid-November for 5 days. I plan to take her to a couple of Broadway shows and to Macy's shopping. I've never visited the Big Apple so I'm unsure what else to do while there or how warm to wrap up. I've yet to book a hotel, or anything other than the flights.

She's a young 50 despite having beaten breast cancer a few years ago. Any suggestions for things to do, places to eat, hotels to stay in, etc would be appreciated. Cheers.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426708
11/05/2013 08:46
11/05/2013 08:46

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

I went last year.
Surprisingly the food is the worst part of New York ,finding anything decent especially for breakfast is difficult.
As for the people,don't expect for anyone to speak to you.Even staff and police are plain ignorant.

If your wanting to avoid queues then book everything in advance online.

You need to queue for every attraction as its like going through the airport.
Security for everything including macdonalds is at a maximum.
If you already have a pass then trust me it cuts down on the boredom.

We stayed in a hotel in Chinatown ,doesn't really matter where you stay as there's police everywhere so near impossible for any crime to happen.
Empire State Building at night is a must,but Jesus its cold,although it is heated if you stay inside.

I was dressed with nearly every form of clothing and the wind cuts through you like your stood there naked.

As for suggestions,the place is an engineering masterpiece.Nothing you see on tv can prepare you for actually seeing it.
Macy's ,statue of liberty and Central Park are worth seeing once alongside time square at night.
Subways are the quickest and cheapest form of transport although there's some right weirdos who just stay on the trains singing all day.
if you use a taxi then make sure you buckle up.

Real nice thing to do Adam,I'm sure you'll both love it.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426715
11/05/2013 09:36
11/05/2013 09:36
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Chertsey in the Thames
I suggest you do a speedboat trip from Pier 19, it loops round Liberty Island and is great fun, gives a wonderful vire of the skyline and you get to see the Statue close up without the time it normally takes if you actually visit the Island.

Then you want a Pastrami on Rye but hold the mayo laugh

For Mum Macys is a Must and also the Empire Stat is great for the views and the decor inside is very 50's. Time Square of course too.

I must agree with JBT in that food is a pain as far as lunch goes. It is either Macdonalds or carp carts or expensive sit downs, we never found any decent Delis, could just have been ion the wrong part of town though.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: bockers] #1426734
11/05/2013 11:53
11/05/2013 11:53

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: bockers
I must agree with JBT in that food is a pain as far as lunch goes. It is either Macdonalds or carp carts or expensive sit downs, we never found any decent Delis, could just have been in the wrong part of town though.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php
The servings are comedy big.

This always gets good reviews in the timeouts etc.
http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

I've also eaten at Dos Camino's in the meat packer district and that was really good.

For a pre-dinner drinks, try http://www.230-fifth.com/ for a couple of cocktails. You also get a good view of the empire state and other buildings in Manhattan.

If you want a local's guide, I can ask a coupe of work colleagues who are based in NYC. Just PM me. smile

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: ] #1426743
11/05/2013 12:57
11/05/2013 12:57

T
tim42
Unregistered
tim42
Unregistered
T

A wonderful idea, and you will have a great time. Buy a Rough Guide to NYC; loads of great ideas for sights and restaurants. In November it could be 20C or -20C, so be prepared! Personally I wouldn't take too many clothes as if you need something you can buy it there - half the price of here for top quality brands. Buy your jeans, fleeces etc. in Greenwich, Tribeca (not on 5th Avenue).

A boat trip is essential to see the skyline from the rivers - I'd suggest the circle line from the Pier 19 area. If you can't get great food in Manhattan you aren't looking hard enough.... Little Italy is next to Chinatown, and you will eat very well for a lot less than London. Loads of really nice delis everywhere. Beware the pizzas - utterly wonderful but the size of dustbin lids! The new memorial at Ground Zero will be worth a look (I was on the top of the Twin Towers in 1991 crazy ) and the Empire State building is a must; try and buy tickets in advance. Ice skating at the Rockefeller Center on 5th or in Central Park if it is cold enough. Enjoy!!

Tim

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426776
11/05/2013 16:59
11/05/2013 16:59
Pistonheads
B
Brewster Offline OP
Forum is my life
Brewster  Offline OP
Forum is my life
B

Pistonheads
Many thanks for the ideas chaps. Sounds like the boat trip and the Empire State are a must. Demolishing pizzas the size of dustbin lids is a specialty of mine. Thanks to Kenno too - I might take you up on the offer of some advice from your mates nearer the time.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426803
11/05/2013 19:41
11/05/2013 19:41
Portsmouth
A
ali_hire Offline
Forum is my life
ali_hire  Offline
Forum is my life
A

Portsmouth
I went in early December about 10 years ago and it was the coldest I've ever felt. Tall buildings and straight roads funnel the cold at you like a wind tunnel.

But it's a great place to visit. Central Park is nice at that time of year and (if your mum's up to it) you could go ice skating.

Liberty Island was closed when I was there but the Staten Island ferry took us more than close enough to see to 'up close' and take photos.

I'm sure she'll be thrilled with the place, there's really something for everyone. Just wrap up warm.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426814
11/05/2013 21:04
11/05/2013 21:04

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Brewster
Many thanks for the ideas chaps. Sounds like the boat trip and the Empire State are a must. Demolishing pizzas the size of dustbin lids is a specialty of mine. Thanks to Kenno too - I might take you up on the offer of some advice from your mates nearer the time.

I went into that famous pizzeria and ordered 2 pizzas.
Thought $43 dollars was a little excessive but hey ho.
The waitress looked at me funny and said are you sure you want two?

I replied "of course"
Then I saw them.
I believe they were 42" or something daft.
Needless to say one was enough.

Meat packers district is very expensive ,and you need $40 deposit iirc just to get in the doors.
Some tidy ladies there though.
I got myself into quite some mischief whilst in there.
Well the mischief happened after there. laugh

Ground zero is a must but its a bit eerie ,the footprints of both towers is there via water features.
A really inspirational monument and all the names of the deceased are on plaques around the footprint.
How any of the over surrounding buildings remained standing is a miracle especially when you see how close the church is.

As above the water taxi from pier 19 is a must,although the Statue of Liberty is very small considering how big it looks on tv.
Be ready to feed the fish on the way over as it was bloody choppy.

If you do venture into china town then you'll be amazed they aren't all dead.
Food hygiene doesn't exist as there's all mannor or raw seafood abandoned on the streets for sale.

Also walk the Brooklyn Bridge as you can get a true perspective from there of just how big it is.

I went on a stag do so didnt get to see as much as i wanted as i spent most of the week like this as captured by a friend.

click to enlarge

Brits abroad don't do tourism justice.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426823
11/05/2013 22:11
11/05/2013 22:11
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
A thing which might just be me - while I enjoyed climbing the Statue of Liberty (all those years ago - just before 9/11 as it happened), I also did the trip through Ellis Island and I found it almost as depressing as a trip to Dachau - perhaps for very similar reasons.

There were loads of Americans there who were obviously enjoying themselves, chasing their ancestors' signatures/marks in the big books, but it struck me as such a dehumanising place and process. Whatever dignity you had when you got there had been thoroughly stripped from you by the time you'd passed through... While it was a fascinating place, and I wouldn't have missed it, it *really* ruined my day.

That's a really odd recommendation. Sorry about that.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: barnacle] #1426833
11/05/2013 22:35
11/05/2013 22:35
Pistonheads
B
Brewster Offline OP
Forum is my life
Brewster  Offline OP
Forum is my life
B

Pistonheads
Cheers Neil. If at any point I feel mum and I are having too much fun I'll be sure to take her there. laugh

And JBT, as tempting as it is chasing some New Yoik skirt I doubt mum would approve. I've accepted that, as expensive a holiday as it will be, it's actually about mum for once. I'm sure she's owed 5 days of my time after 32 years of hers.

Just out of interest though, what's the best bar for picking up some company?

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1426842
11/05/2013 22:54
11/05/2013 22:54

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Brewster

Just out of interest though, what's the best bar for picking up some company?

laugh there you go.
Despite the rather large ladies we associate with America you'll struggle to find one in a very Cosmo NYC.

Re: New York for Mum's 50th [Re: Brewster] #1427808
18/05/2013 00:01
18/05/2013 00:01

V
Vickster
Unregistered
Vickster
Unregistered
V

Restaurants - Balthazar in Soho. Spring Street Natural is around the corner and one of my faves for brunch / lunch

Seredipity 3 for mid afternoon calories

Bloomingdales as well as Macys

I don't think she'll complain if you book yourselves into the Waldorf or the Plaza wink