I have a 1.4 8v 5 year old Grande Punto with 47500km on the clock. Given its age, thought I would do the right thing and change the belts and tensioner bearing which I obtained through my mate who is a mechanic at a Fiat dealership and get him to do the job.

Upon removing all belts and just about to install the new Cam Belt we discovered that the profile of the new belt was slightly different to the old one and had some movement in the pulleys. We checked with Spare Parts and were told that this was the correct belt for my car. We were not convinced!

Went to a local motor factors and got a Dayco belt which, according to their records, was the correct one. It was exactly the same profile as the one we had removed so it has been installed and the new Fiat one has been returned for credit.

My mate has contacted the guys at Fiat Chrysler Australia re the difference and they are now investigating. We would hate to see claims on Fiat when the belts fail and cause engine damage. Imagine the fun the press would have on a marque that is being re-established "downunder". We are getting the Freemont, Panda and the new Punto this year.

Will keep you informed as the saga unfolds.