» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ExCoupe, Rosso, 1 invisible), 231 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,649
Posts1,341,486
Members1,820
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,306
PeteP 21,524
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,857
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Unichip #1383866
10/10/2012 00:16
10/10/2012 00:16

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

I just want to now if the unichip piggy back system is any better than the cheap gtec chip as I was going to get the piggy back system fitted to my first coupe

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383949
10/10/2012 13:21
10/10/2012 13:21

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

The new Unichip system is apparently very good. And cost effective too.

Good seeing you here Martin. wink

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383959
10/10/2012 13:57
10/10/2012 13:57
N.E Scotland
mattB Offline
Club member 6
mattB  Offline
Club member 6
I AM a Coop

N.E Scotland
Have a chat with Matty at Wallace Performance - they'd be the closest place that would be in a position to map it, and he owns and knows a decent amount the coupe.

Death-rattle-tastic
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383970
10/10/2012 14:24
10/10/2012 14:24

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Ive mapped two coupes recently on the new unichip.
Very impressive bit of kit.
And cheap too.

Re: Unichip [Re: mattB] #1384017
10/10/2012 20:53
10/10/2012 20:53

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: mattB
Have a chat with Matty at Wallace Performance - they'd be the closest place that would be in a position to map it, and he owns and knows a decent amount the coupe.

hi mate i spoke to him when i had my first coupe and i have seen his its not to bad

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384078
11/10/2012 00:06
11/10/2012 00:06

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

The unichip q and the extras that are needed to go with it are good, although they are not as cheap or as good as having a proper re-map

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384082
11/10/2012 00:16
11/10/2012 00:16

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

i now its not cheap i was more about quality than price

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384094
11/10/2012 07:22
11/10/2012 07:22

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Senny Dave
not as cheap or as good as having a proper re-map

A proper remap meaning what?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384141
11/10/2012 14:22
11/10/2012 14:22
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I had the older unichip fitted to mine, it was terrible, the car constantly cut out on idle or when changing down at low revs, it wasn't a nice car to drive.

I removed the unichip and all was well again.

Make sure you get the latest version as I'd hate for you to waste as much money as I did!

Re: Unichip [Re: Jimbo] #1384166
11/10/2012 17:02
11/10/2012 17:02

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I had the older unichip fitted to mine, it was terrible, the car constantly cut out on idle or when changing down at low revs, it wasn't a nice car to drive.

I removed the unichip and all was well again.

Make sure you get the latest version as I'd hate for you to waste as much money as I did!

definitely be doing that thanks mate

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384174
11/10/2012 18:48
11/10/2012 18:48

C
crazylegs
Unregistered
crazylegs
Unregistered
C

Hi your best bet is to talk to someone really who fits and has gas very good results with them. Talk to jbt from midland car services he will gladly explain the pros and cons for peace of mind for your self.

Best regards Shaun.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384217
11/10/2012 22:20
11/10/2012 22:20

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Biggenz

Proper proper proper laugh

Unichip has more features than the standard remap Dave .
Google it and you'll see lads running over 700bhp on a unichip.

Early ones were hit and miss but the latest version offers as much as some stand alones.
You can also see all the stock ecu parameters in live or freeze frame easily.
Including finding out why the stock ecu map brings the injector light on in 3rd gear and above.
As I thought the maf voltage is hitting 4.88 volts before the light comes on then going out of range after.
Maybe a reason why most setups tail off the boost to bring the maf back into voltage range.

This setups so good that you can connect your phones to it via Bluetooth and see what it's doing.
Very good customer support and safety features.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384236
11/10/2012 23:06
11/10/2012 23:06
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Interesting that UniChip is making a comeback in terms of reviews on the forum

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384239
11/10/2012 23:11
11/10/2012 23:11

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

I was expecting to get torn a new one when I mentioned it but early ones were incorrectly fitted and there was also very poor technical advice from unichip in terms of problematic tuning.

Onwards and upwards.
Great to use map sensors in conjunction with the maf too.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384245
11/10/2012 23:45
11/10/2012 23:45

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo

Early ones were hit and miss but the latest version offers as much as some stand alones.
Including finding out why the stock ecu map brings the injector light on in 3rd gear and above.
As I thought the maf voltage is hitting 4.88 volts before the light comes on then going out of range after.
Maybe a reason why most setups tail off the boost to bring the maf back into voltage range.

This setups so good that you can connect your phones to it via Bluetooth and see what it's doing.

John I know a fair bit about it as I have installed the unichip q's on a few cars and also been there while they are mapped from my point of view.

1. The Unichip Q is not that new, been around about 5 years. It can be very clever for certain applications, but ultimately it works the same as the old Unichip by intercepting signals to the ECU in order to trick it to do something else e.g. MAF voltage, crank sensor.

2. There are limits to what it can do because it is not actually controlling the car, the factory ECU is. Bigger injectors can be a real problem

3. It may need extra hardware e.g. MAP sensor, iDriver etc, in order to get it to work.

4. It's not a cheap option, with average supply/fit/map costing £450-750 depending on what is required.

the guy I know who does this is also one of only a few who are apporved by dastek south afirca and been out there for their courses.

However in general terms you would always tune with the ECU to have full control where possible.

Dont get me wrong this is a good bit of kit and in the right circumstances can be very clever. sometimes there is no alternative if ECU is "locked out" other than standalone.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384246
12/10/2012 00:14

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Dave its not often that a live map gives you change from £450 to £700 taking into account fuel and distance etc.

I would disagree saying live map is superior as its clearly not.

And if you want to revert back to standard then you can sell the unichip for minimum £400 whereas the live map chip is worth nothing.
So the investment gives back a return.

Map sensors and injector drivers are included in the £700 mapped price.
So no additionals.

Fitting these takes 20 minutes.

Fitting bigger injectors is actually easier on the unichip than in the stock ecu.

Also live mapping is about intercepting or corrupting the signals.
Neither are what you would class as direct.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384247

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

John I know a fair bit about it as I have installed the unichip q's on a few cars and also been there while they are mapped from my point of view.

1. The Unichip Q is not that new, been around about 5 years. It can be very clever for certain applications, but ultimately it works the same as the old Unichip by intercepting signals to the ECU in order to trick it to do something else e.g. MAF voltage, crank sensor.

2. There are limits to what it can do because it is not actually controlling the car, the factory ECU is. Bigger injectors can be a real problem

3. It may need extra hardware e.g. MAP sensor, iDriver etc, in order to get it to work.

4. It's not a cheap option, with average supply/fit/map costing £450-750 depending on what is required.

the guy I know who does this is also one of only a few who are apporved by dastek south afirca and been out there for their courses.

However in general terms you would always tune with the ECU to have full control where possible.

Dont get me wrong this is a good bit of kit and in the right circumstances can be very clever. sometimes there is no alternative if ECU is "locked out" other than standalone.

and who and where are they based

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384377
12/10/2012 15:46
12/10/2012 15:46

B
Barbz
Unregistered
Barbz
Unregistered
B

Quote:

Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer??? cool

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384382
12/10/2012 15:59
12/10/2012 15:59

B
Barbz
Unregistered
Barbz
Unregistered
B

Quote:
Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer???

Could only find a Paul Shepherd in your nick of the woods?

http://www.unichipeurope.co.uk/dealer-network.asp

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384541
13/10/2012 10:59
13/10/2012 10:59

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Dave its not often that a live map gives you change from £450 to £700 taking into account fuel and distance etc.

I would disagree saying live map is superior as its clearly not.

And if you want to revert back to standard then you can sell the unichip for minimum £400 whereas the live map chip is worth nothing.
So the investment gives back a return.

Map sensors and injector drivers are included in the £700 mapped price.
So no additionals.

Fitting these takes 20 minutes.

Fitting bigger injectors is actually easier on the unichip than in the stock ecu.

Also live mapping is about intercepting or corrupting the signals.
Neither are what you would class as direct.

A live map with the ecu is cheaper as there is no hardware to buy or install costs. the unichip costs £250-400 before the mapping even starts so thats more than most live maps, It also still costs the same for everyone to drive to a tuner and any fuel for mapping. You won't get £400 back for a unichip as they sell on ebay for £50-150.

Live mapping does not intecept or corrupt signals you have got it wrong The unichip intercepts signals so it fools the ecu to do something else. A live map is direct and changes maps in the ecu only so you do not change any sensor signals or voltages that go into the ecu This means it still has the right signals from the sensors which is clearly better.
Bigger injectors are better and easier with a live map as it is programed to use them unlike unichip which just changes the signals, On some cars I have seen the car runs really rough with bigger injectors on unichip and that is with the extra idriver.

Originally Posted By: Barbz

Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer??? cool

You know I'm not.

Originally Posted By: Barbz
Quote:
Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer???

Could only find a Paul Shepherd in your nick of the woods?

http://www.unichipeurope.co.uk/dealer-network.asp

Thats right Paul Shepherd is a friend of mine.
Originally Posted By: fiatcoupe86

and who and where are they based

Hi it's Paul Shepherd of circuit motors

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384545
13/10/2012 11:16
13/10/2012 11:16

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

We've mapped 4 coupes now with the unichip with bigger injectors.
Paul shepherd doesn't map coupes as far as I'm aware therefor I can only assume that you've purchased the cable from eBay and your illegally mapping the unichip.

This is piracy and the exact reason why unichip ONLY supply to registered dealers.
Otherwise inexperienced so called mappers will be on forums rubbishing there products without the knowledge to know what's causing the issues.

If your not a registered dealer of this system then you don't have the updates or customer support.
Hence why there running rough.

If you do have the above then its down to the mapper or a serious issue on the vehicle.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384563
13/10/2012 13:50
13/10/2012 13:50

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

We've mapped 4 coupes now with the unichip with bigger injectors.
Paul shepherd doesn't map coupes as far as I'm aware therefor I can only assume that you've purchased the cable from eBay and your illegally mapping the unichip.

This is piracy and the exact reason why unichip ONLY supply to registered dealers.
Otherwise inexperienced so called mappers will be on forums rubbishing there products without the knowledge to know what's causing the issues.

If your not a registered dealer of this system then you don't have the updates or customer support.
Hence why there running rough.

If you do have the above then its down to the mapper or a serious issue on the vehicle.

Johnny There you go again making incorrect assumptions

I have never said I map them however you have and now that has changed to we, So this means its not you doing the mapping then, which im not supprised about as you don't have the knowledge to do it.

As you mention about registered dealers you are also not on their list so does this mean it is you that has purchased the equipment this way and are as you put it illegally mapping your customers cars.

I have never said I'm a dealer of the dastek equipment but that I have had alot of dealings with it, two completely diffrent things but yet you fail to see this.

The running rough is not down the mapper all the updates are in place it's due to the unichip not being the best way to do the mapping i'm not talking about going from 330cc injectors to 450 though im talking about going to big injectors for the bigger power ie 675cc.

Also once your tuner starts to tune other cars than coupes you will also see the unichip acts very diffrently on them esspically with bigger injectors.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384576
13/10/2012 14:40
13/10/2012 14:40

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

Sorry to be a bit off topic but does anyone know if i need to disconnect the battery before taking out the ecu?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384580
13/10/2012 14:56
13/10/2012 14:56

C
Chalky
Unregistered
Chalky
Unregistered
C

yes disconnect paddyn smile it always safer to do so when working on anything related with the battery

Last edited by Chalky; 13/10/2012 14:57.
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384582
13/10/2012 15:00
13/10/2012 15:00

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

will do, cheers chalky

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384588
13/10/2012 15:42
13/10/2012 15:42

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

ok so i have just fitted a gtech 1 with b varient and there is now a strange noise coming from the engline bay! it sounds electrical! this only activates when i turn the key to have the lights on the dash! any clues?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384589
13/10/2012 15:44
13/10/2012 15:44

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

and also my heaters / blowers dont work!

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384590
13/10/2012 15:52
13/10/2012 15:52
Windsor/ Reading
knight7660 Offline
Competition Level
knight7660  Offline
Competition Level

Windsor/ Reading
paddyn start a new thread mate so we can try and keep the thread on topic

LE53 (452BHp & 389ftlb's with Quaife)
Wine red VIS FOOFY
Audi RS4 B7
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384591
13/10/2012 15:53
13/10/2012 15:53

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

ok will do, cheers

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384629
13/10/2012 18:00
13/10/2012 18:00
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
Ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Sandhurst
JBT, Senny and Barbz, wind it in a bit please. We don't need another slagging each other off session. Either take it to PM or the phone.

Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3