» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (szkom, Stefan78, ExCoupe), 206 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,649
Posts1,341,483
Members1,820
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,306
PeteP 21,524
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,857
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Unichip #1383866
10/10/2012 00:16
10/10/2012 00:16

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

I just want to now if the unichip piggy back system is any better than the cheap gtec chip as I was going to get the piggy back system fitted to my first coupe

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383949
10/10/2012 13:21
10/10/2012 13:21

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

The new Unichip system is apparently very good. And cost effective too.

Good seeing you here Martin. wink

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383959
10/10/2012 13:57
10/10/2012 13:57
N.E Scotland
mattB Offline
Club member 6
mattB  Offline
Club member 6
I AM a Coop

N.E Scotland
Have a chat with Matty at Wallace Performance - they'd be the closest place that would be in a position to map it, and he owns and knows a decent amount the coupe.

Death-rattle-tastic
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1383970
10/10/2012 14:24
10/10/2012 14:24

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Ive mapped two coupes recently on the new unichip.
Very impressive bit of kit.
And cheap too.

Re: Unichip [Re: mattB] #1384017
10/10/2012 20:53
10/10/2012 20:53

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: mattB
Have a chat with Matty at Wallace Performance - they'd be the closest place that would be in a position to map it, and he owns and knows a decent amount the coupe.

hi mate i spoke to him when i had my first coupe and i have seen his its not to bad

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384078
11/10/2012 00:06
11/10/2012 00:06

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

The unichip q and the extras that are needed to go with it are good, although they are not as cheap or as good as having a proper re-map

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384082
11/10/2012 00:16
11/10/2012 00:16

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

i now its not cheap i was more about quality than price

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384094
11/10/2012 07:22
11/10/2012 07:22

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Senny Dave
not as cheap or as good as having a proper re-map

A proper remap meaning what?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384141
11/10/2012 14:22
11/10/2012 14:22
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I had the older unichip fitted to mine, it was terrible, the car constantly cut out on idle or when changing down at low revs, it wasn't a nice car to drive.

I removed the unichip and all was well again.

Make sure you get the latest version as I'd hate for you to waste as much money as I did!

Re: Unichip [Re: Jimbo] #1384166
11/10/2012 17:02
11/10/2012 17:02

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I had the older unichip fitted to mine, it was terrible, the car constantly cut out on idle or when changing down at low revs, it wasn't a nice car to drive.

I removed the unichip and all was well again.

Make sure you get the latest version as I'd hate for you to waste as much money as I did!

definitely be doing that thanks mate

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384174
11/10/2012 18:48
11/10/2012 18:48

C
crazylegs
Unregistered
crazylegs
Unregistered
C

Hi your best bet is to talk to someone really who fits and has gas very good results with them. Talk to jbt from midland car services he will gladly explain the pros and cons for peace of mind for your self.

Best regards Shaun.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384217
11/10/2012 22:20
11/10/2012 22:20

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Biggenz

Proper proper proper laugh

Unichip has more features than the standard remap Dave .
Google it and you'll see lads running over 700bhp on a unichip.

Early ones were hit and miss but the latest version offers as much as some stand alones.
You can also see all the stock ecu parameters in live or freeze frame easily.
Including finding out why the stock ecu map brings the injector light on in 3rd gear and above.
As I thought the maf voltage is hitting 4.88 volts before the light comes on then going out of range after.
Maybe a reason why most setups tail off the boost to bring the maf back into voltage range.

This setups so good that you can connect your phones to it via Bluetooth and see what it's doing.
Very good customer support and safety features.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384236
11/10/2012 23:06
11/10/2012 23:06
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Interesting that UniChip is making a comeback in terms of reviews on the forum

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384239
11/10/2012 23:11
11/10/2012 23:11

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

I was expecting to get torn a new one when I mentioned it but early ones were incorrectly fitted and there was also very poor technical advice from unichip in terms of problematic tuning.

Onwards and upwards.
Great to use map sensors in conjunction with the maf too.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384245
11/10/2012 23:45
11/10/2012 23:45

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo

Early ones were hit and miss but the latest version offers as much as some stand alones.
Including finding out why the stock ecu map brings the injector light on in 3rd gear and above.
As I thought the maf voltage is hitting 4.88 volts before the light comes on then going out of range after.
Maybe a reason why most setups tail off the boost to bring the maf back into voltage range.

This setups so good that you can connect your phones to it via Bluetooth and see what it's doing.

John I know a fair bit about it as I have installed the unichip q's on a few cars and also been there while they are mapped from my point of view.

1. The Unichip Q is not that new, been around about 5 years. It can be very clever for certain applications, but ultimately it works the same as the old Unichip by intercepting signals to the ECU in order to trick it to do something else e.g. MAF voltage, crank sensor.

2. There are limits to what it can do because it is not actually controlling the car, the factory ECU is. Bigger injectors can be a real problem

3. It may need extra hardware e.g. MAP sensor, iDriver etc, in order to get it to work.

4. It's not a cheap option, with average supply/fit/map costing £450-750 depending on what is required.

the guy I know who does this is also one of only a few who are apporved by dastek south afirca and been out there for their courses.

However in general terms you would always tune with the ECU to have full control where possible.

Dont get me wrong this is a good bit of kit and in the right circumstances can be very clever. sometimes there is no alternative if ECU is "locked out" other than standalone.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384246
12/10/2012 00:14

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Dave its not often that a live map gives you change from £450 to £700 taking into account fuel and distance etc.

I would disagree saying live map is superior as its clearly not.

And if you want to revert back to standard then you can sell the unichip for minimum £400 whereas the live map chip is worth nothing.
So the investment gives back a return.

Map sensors and injector drivers are included in the £700 mapped price.
So no additionals.

Fitting these takes 20 minutes.

Fitting bigger injectors is actually easier on the unichip than in the stock ecu.

Also live mapping is about intercepting or corrupting the signals.
Neither are what you would class as direct.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384247

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

John I know a fair bit about it as I have installed the unichip q's on a few cars and also been there while they are mapped from my point of view.

1. The Unichip Q is not that new, been around about 5 years. It can be very clever for certain applications, but ultimately it works the same as the old Unichip by intercepting signals to the ECU in order to trick it to do something else e.g. MAF voltage, crank sensor.

2. There are limits to what it can do because it is not actually controlling the car, the factory ECU is. Bigger injectors can be a real problem

3. It may need extra hardware e.g. MAP sensor, iDriver etc, in order to get it to work.

4. It's not a cheap option, with average supply/fit/map costing £450-750 depending on what is required.

the guy I know who does this is also one of only a few who are apporved by dastek south afirca and been out there for their courses.

However in general terms you would always tune with the ECU to have full control where possible.

Dont get me wrong this is a good bit of kit and in the right circumstances can be very clever. sometimes there is no alternative if ECU is "locked out" other than standalone.

and who and where are they based

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384377
12/10/2012 15:46
12/10/2012 15:46

B
Barbz
Unregistered
Barbz
Unregistered
B

Quote:

Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer??? cool

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384382
12/10/2012 15:59
12/10/2012 15:59

B
Barbz
Unregistered
Barbz
Unregistered
B

Quote:
Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer???

Could only find a Paul Shepherd in your nick of the woods?

http://www.unichipeurope.co.uk/dealer-network.asp

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384541
13/10/2012 10:59
13/10/2012 10:59

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Dave its not often that a live map gives you change from £450 to £700 taking into account fuel and distance etc.

I would disagree saying live map is superior as its clearly not.

And if you want to revert back to standard then you can sell the unichip for minimum £400 whereas the live map chip is worth nothing.
So the investment gives back a return.

Map sensors and injector drivers are included in the £700 mapped price.
So no additionals.

Fitting these takes 20 minutes.

Fitting bigger injectors is actually easier on the unichip than in the stock ecu.

Also live mapping is about intercepting or corrupting the signals.
Neither are what you would class as direct.

A live map with the ecu is cheaper as there is no hardware to buy or install costs. the unichip costs £250-400 before the mapping even starts so thats more than most live maps, It also still costs the same for everyone to drive to a tuner and any fuel for mapping. You won't get £400 back for a unichip as they sell on ebay for £50-150.

Live mapping does not intecept or corrupt signals you have got it wrong The unichip intercepts signals so it fools the ecu to do something else. A live map is direct and changes maps in the ecu only so you do not change any sensor signals or voltages that go into the ecu This means it still has the right signals from the sensors which is clearly better.
Bigger injectors are better and easier with a live map as it is programed to use them unlike unichip which just changes the signals, On some cars I have seen the car runs really rough with bigger injectors on unichip and that is with the extra idriver.

Originally Posted By: Barbz

Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer??? cool

You know I'm not.

Originally Posted By: Barbz
Quote:
Hi Dave

Are you an Authorised Unichip installer/dealer???

Could only find a Paul Shepherd in your nick of the woods?

http://www.unichipeurope.co.uk/dealer-network.asp

Thats right Paul Shepherd is a friend of mine.
Originally Posted By: fiatcoupe86

and who and where are they based

Hi it's Paul Shepherd of circuit motors

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384545
13/10/2012 11:16
13/10/2012 11:16

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

We've mapped 4 coupes now with the unichip with bigger injectors.
Paul shepherd doesn't map coupes as far as I'm aware therefor I can only assume that you've purchased the cable from eBay and your illegally mapping the unichip.

This is piracy and the exact reason why unichip ONLY supply to registered dealers.
Otherwise inexperienced so called mappers will be on forums rubbishing there products without the knowledge to know what's causing the issues.

If your not a registered dealer of this system then you don't have the updates or customer support.
Hence why there running rough.

If you do have the above then its down to the mapper or a serious issue on the vehicle.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384563
13/10/2012 13:50
13/10/2012 13:50

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Paul shepherd doesn't map coupes as far as I'm aware therefor I can only assume that you've purchased the cable from eBay and your illegally mapping the unichip.

This is piracy and the exact reason why unichip ONLY supply to registered dealers.
Otherwise inexperienced so called mappers will be on forums rubbishing there products without the knowledge to know what's causing the issues.

If your not a registered dealer of this system then you don't have the updates or customer support.

If you do have the above then its down to the mapper or a serious issue on the vehicle.

Johnny There you go again making incorrect assumptions

I have never said I map them however you have and now that has changed to we, So this means its not you doing the mapping then, which im not supprised about as you don't have the knowledge to do it.

As you mention about registered dealers you are also not on their list so does this mean it is you that has purchased the equipment this way and are as you put it illegally mapping your customers cars.

I have never said I'm a dealer of the dastek equipment but that I have had alot of dealings with it, two completely diffrent things but yet you fail to see this.

The running rough is not down the mapper all the updates are in place it's due to the unichip not being the best way to do the mapping i'm not talking about going from 330cc injectors to 450 though im talking about going to big injectors for the bigger power ie 675cc.

Also once your tuner starts to tune other cars than coupes you will also see the unichip acts very diffrently on them esspically with bigger injectors.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384576
13/10/2012 14:40
13/10/2012 14:40

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

Sorry to be a bit off topic but does anyone know if i need to disconnect the battery before taking out the ecu?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384580
13/10/2012 14:56
13/10/2012 14:56

C
Chalky
Unregistered
Chalky
Unregistered
C

yes disconnect paddyn smile it always safer to do so when working on anything related with the battery

Last edited by Chalky; 13/10/2012 14:57.
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384582
13/10/2012 15:00
13/10/2012 15:00

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

will do, cheers chalky

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384588
13/10/2012 15:42
13/10/2012 15:42

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

ok so i have just fitted a gtech 1 with b varient and there is now a strange noise coming from the engline bay! it sounds electrical! this only activates when i turn the key to have the lights on the dash! any clues?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384589
13/10/2012 15:44
13/10/2012 15:44

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

and also my heaters / blowers dont work!

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384590
13/10/2012 15:52
13/10/2012 15:52
Windsor/ Reading
knight7660 Offline
Competition Level
knight7660  Offline
Competition Level

Windsor/ Reading
paddyn start a new thread mate so we can try and keep the thread on topic

LE53 (452BHp & 389ftlb's with Quaife)
Wine red VIS FOOFY
Audi RS4 B7
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384591
13/10/2012 15:53
13/10/2012 15:53

P
paddyn
Unregistered
paddyn
Unregistered
P

ok will do, cheers

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384629
13/10/2012 18:00
13/10/2012 18:00
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
Ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Sandhurst
JBT, Senny and Barbz, wind it in a bit please. We don't need another slagging each other off session. Either take it to PM or the phone.

Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Unichip [Re: Begbie] #1384634
13/10/2012 18:23
13/10/2012 18:23

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Begbie
JBT, Senny and Barbz, wind it in a bit please. We don't need another slagging each other off session. Either take it to PM or the phone.

...or the AGM. laugh

Re: Unichip [Re: Begbie] #1384638
13/10/2012 18:47
13/10/2012 18:47

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Begbie

Alexis no slagging off here just pionting out the FACTS and defending myself accused of somthing.

Anyway point taken on board

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384641
13/10/2012 18:57
13/10/2012 18:57

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

i did not mean to start a slagging off match just some addvise one witch is better gtec chip or piggy back system

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384652
13/10/2012 19:27
13/10/2012 19:27

C
Chalky
Unregistered
Chalky
Unregistered
C

For price I'd still go for a flea map over unichip or gtech just because the experience. I ran gtech for awhile and when I fitted my wide band it showed that it was running lean.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384679
13/10/2012 20:08
13/10/2012 20:08

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Was pointing out a quotation of fitment and the legalities of the quotations.

My mapper has mapped them already Dave as I said above hence why I said its superior.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384705
13/10/2012 21:00
13/10/2012 21:00
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
A few technical points regarding the Unichip smile

I was expecting to get torn a new one when I mentioned it but early ones were incorrectly fitted and there was also very poor technical advice from unichip in terms of problematic tuning.

Well having removed in the order of 15+ Unichips from Coupes, not a single one was fitted incorrectly. Some dodgy wiring and solder on a couple, which took a bit of time to rectify, but none incorrectly fitted. A couple had some issues like Jimbo's, which was resolved as soon as it was back running direct via the ECU.

Unichip has some features that can be very useful for certain applications e.g. Alpha-N, especially on older cars. However, it also lacks a lot of features and can struggle with modern ECUs, even something very simple such as raising the rpm limiter cannot be done. A car with lairy cams or a big turbo, well it's not much good if you can't raise the limiter.

The early ones were not hit and miss as you say, in fact the very basic principles of tuning are the same as the Q version. You wire into the various sensors, MAF/MAP for fuel, crank/cam for spark timing, TPS if required and likewise the boost solenoid, and then adjust/clamp voltages. The Q version is absolutely no different in this regard, it's still all about manipulating voltages in order to fool the main ECU into thinking the engine conditions are actually different. Of course when tuning via voltages, well this does have implications for example:

1. Most sensors are 0-5v, what happens when you reach 5v? Well in terms of a MAF or MAP sensor, this means the Unichip is incapable of adding any more fuel as the limit is already reached. Given that most cars, especially turbos, flow more air when tuned, well it can be a big problem. This is not the same as the injectors being maxxed i.e. 100% duty, there can still be more fuel available from the injectors, but the Unichip has no way to access this due to a voltage ceiling.

2. On the opposite end of the scale, if you run with bigger injectors (not huge, just moderately bigger e.g. 50%), then you would have to reduce the MAF/MAP voltage in order to trim the excess fuel. No problem, except the ECU may not allow this due to a minimum pulsewidth value or lower voltage limit, nothing to be done here. There are further problems with reducing the MAF/MAP voltage in that it will distort the calculated load to a lower level as determined by the ECU (remember we are fooling the ECU here). The result is that the ECU "sees" less air flowing into the engine than is the reality. At lower load levels the ECU has much more advanced spark timing, so the potential for engine detonation is much greater. So now instead of advancing spark timing for maximum power, you now have to reduce it in order make everything safe. This of course can be done, but it demonstrates how the Unichip can operate in a very hack way and is often counterintuitive, and unless you really know what you are doing under all conditions, well the recipe for disaster is there.

The above are two basic examples. You can also have issues with ECU compensations and learning, misfire detection, lambda integration, engine management lights… etc. Of course most remaps are sold on the power levels! Well the Unichip can make good power, but it certainly can’t make more power than a direct ECU remap. The reasons for this are simple, you cannot overcome all the basic parameters of the ECU that control the engine. A very important example would be knock sensors. It doesn’t matter what you do with the Unichip, advancing the timing into knock means the ECU will react and very swiftly by retarding timing. The Unichip is not a free for all control system, the ECU is the daddy in this relationship, and if you want to safely adjust the knock level then you need access to the relevant parameter within the ECU. All these issues are not a problem if tuning the main ECU, certainly not if you know what you are doing with it wink

You cannot see the factory ECU parameters, what you can see is the sensor voltages that it is wired into, two totally different sets of data.

As for the injector light and boost issues, well in this regard 2 + 2 does not equal 5. You have not understood how the boost control system works and other related parameters. I have, and continue to tune cars via ECU boost control beyond the MAF range as you put it (1.7bar holding 1.4bar at the redline), and of course if you have external boost control then the ECU cannot have any impact on boost control.

Wow...

That is all I'll say on the personal remarks, but as for a vehicle running rough, well you would need to tune more than just a handful of Coupes before making comments like that. The difference in engine management between manufacturers and models is huge, and this has major impacts on how Unichip works. Ultimately the integral point of any engine management is understanding how it all works, not just reacting to numbers on a screen.

I haven't mentioned as yet, the Unichip iDriver. Now this is a more recent addition to the Unichip range, and is essentially an extra module that needs to be purchased, which does allow some “direct” control over the fuel injectors, rather than just via the MAF or MAP sensor voltages. The installation requires wiring into all the injectors (quite a lot of wiring all in), and as a result it allows some manipulation of injector duty. Using the 20vt as an example, you simply cannot run bigger than 400-440cc (dependant on injector type) via the Unichip without the iDriver, it simply cannot work with correct air fuel ratios under all conditions. However, the iDriver is far from a complete solution and it doesn't sell itself as such either. Firstly, it does not give complete control of the injectors as this is not what the Unichip is about. It simply allows +/-50 adjustment range to the pulsewidth as already sent via the ECU, so there is a limit to what can be achieved. This is not the end of the story either, because not all injectors are the same and the process through which an injector fires is not just about pulsewidth duration. In basic terms, if you cannot change these other parameters (which the Unichip cannot) then you end up with horrible jumps and steps in injector millseconds causing rough and unstable idle and light load bucking. There can also be issues with closed loop lambda control, whereby you try to force the injector to deliver more fuel, but because the ECU is still in closed loop the fuel is subsequently trimmed and you are back to square one, remember the ECU is still firmly in control despite these tricks being played on it! I'll stop here because I could easily spend all night on this subject, if only tuning was as easy as + or - on the keyboard. It requires a thorough understanding of all the main principles within the system in order to achieve a powerful and holistic tune.

In summary, the Unichip is not straightforward, but I do like it a lot for certain applications, especially of course when the factory ECU is locked out. It can work very well for basic setups and "special" conversions (as I have undertaken on a number of older cars), however, it is by no means a replacement for remapping the factory ECU. The cost alone is significant, more than double or triple the average price of an ECU remap, and none of the associated hardware, wiring intervention or having to make such extreme hacks to the engine management as mentioned above. It has been around for a good while, and in the early days many Coupes were tuned like this as there was no other option. Of course, back then power levels were much lower, if you had 280-320bhp you were really at the top of the game! Invariably the Unichip is chosen by the tuner, not the customer. This is simply down to the fact that it allows a tuner with no knowledge of the factory ECU the ability to “tune” a vehicle. I could tune every single Coupe with the Unichip, but of course I won’t because tuning the Bosch ECU is a much better approach and ultimately a lot cheaper.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384708
13/10/2012 21:21
13/10/2012 21:21

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Thankyou
Experienced answer,.

Re: Unichip [Re: Flea] #1384712
13/10/2012 21:28
13/10/2012 21:28

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: Flea

Well having removed in the order of 15+ Unichips from Coupes, not a single one was fitted incorrectly. Some dodgy wiring and solder on a couple, which took a bit of time to rectify, but none incorrectly fitted. A couple had some issues like Jimbo's, which was resolved as soon as it was back running direct via the ECU.

Unichip has some features that can be very useful for certain applications e.g. Alpha-N, especially on older cars. However, it also lacks a lot of features and can struggle with modern ECUs, even something very simple such as raising the rpm limiter cannot be done. A car with lairy cams or a big turbo, well it's not much good if you can't raise the limiter.

The early ones were not hit and miss as you say, in fact the very basic principles of tuning are the same as the Q version. You wire into the various sensors, MAF/MAP for fuel, crank/cam for spark timing, TPS if required and likewise the boost solenoid, and then adjust/clamp voltages. The Q version is absolutely no different in this regard, it's still all about manipulating voltages in order to fool the main ECU into thinking the engine conditions are actually different. Of course when tuning via voltages, well this does have implications for example:

1. Most sensors are 0-5v, what happens when you reach 5v? Well in terms of a MAF or MAP sensor, this means the Unichip is incapable of adding any more fuel as the limit is already reached. Given that most cars, especially turbos, flow more air when tuned, well it can be a big problem. This is not the same as the injectors being maxxed i.e. 100% duty, there can still be more fuel available from the injectors, but the Unichip has no way to access this due to a voltage ceiling.

2. On the opposite end of the scale, if you run with bigger injectors (not huge, just moderately bigger e.g. 50%), then you would have to reduce the MAF/MAP voltage in order to trim the excess fuel. No problem, except the ECU may not allow this due to a minimum pulsewidth value or lower voltage limit, nothing to be done here. There are further problems with reducing the MAF/MAP voltage in that it will distort the calculated load to a lower level as determined by the ECU (remember we are fooling the ECU here). The result is that the ECU "sees" less air flowing into the engine than is the reality. At lower load levels the ECU has much more advanced spark timing, so the potential for engine detonation is much greater. So now instead of advancing spark timing for maximum power, you now have to reduce it in order make everything safe. This of course can be done, but it demonstrates how the Unichip can operate in a very hack way and is often counterintuitive, and unless you really know what you are doing under all conditions, well the recipe for disaster is there.

The above are two basic examples. You can also have issues with ECU compensations and learning, misfire detection, lambda integration, engine management lights… etc. Of course most remaps are sold on the power levels! Well the Unichip can make good power, but it certainly can’t make more power than a direct ECU remap. The reasons for this are simple, you cannot overcome all the basic parameters of the ECU that control the engine. A very important example would be knock sensors. It doesn’t matter what you do with the Unichip, advancing the timing into knock means the ECU will react and very swiftly by retarding timing. The Unichip is not a free for all control system, the ECU is the daddy in this relationship, and if you want to safely adjust the knock level then you need access to the relevant parameter within the ECU. All these issues are not a problem if tuning the main ECU, certainly not if you know what you are doing with it wink

You cannot see the factory ECU parameters, what you can see is the sensor voltages that it is wired into, two totally different sets of data.

As for the injector light and boost issues, well in this regard 2 + 2 does not equal 5. You have not understood how the boost control system works and other related parameters. I have, and continue to tune cars via ECU boost control beyond the MAF range as you put it (1.7bar holding 1.4bar at the redline), and of course if you have external boost control then the ECU cannot have any impact on boost control.

Wow...

That is all I'll say on the personal remarks, but as for a vehicle running rough, well you would need to tune more than just a handful of Coupes before making comments like that. The difference in engine management between manufacturers and models is huge, and this has major impacts on how Unichip works. Ultimately the integral point of any engine management is understanding how it all works, not just reacting to numbers on a screen.

I haven't mentioned as yet, the Unichip iDriver. Now this is a more recent addition to the Unichip range, and is essentially an extra module that needs to be purchased, which does allow some “direct” control over the fuel injectors, rather than just via the MAF or MAP sensor voltages. The installation requires wiring into all the injectors (quite a lot of wiring all in), and as a result it allows some manipulation of injector duty. Using the 20vt as an example, you simply cannot run bigger than 400-440cc (dependant on injector type) via the Unichip without the iDriver, it simply cannot work with correct air fuel ratios under all conditions. However, the iDriver is far from a complete solution and it doesn't sell itself as such either. Firstly, it does not give complete control of the injectors as this is not what the Unichip is about. It simply allows +/-50 adjustment range to the pulsewidth as already sent via the ECU, so there is a limit to what can be achieved. This is not the end of the story either, because not all injectors are the same and the process through which an injector fires is not just about pulsewidth duration. In basic terms, if you cannot change these other parameters (which the Unichip cannot) then you end up with horrible jumps and steps in injector millseconds causing rough and unstable idle and light load bucking. There can also be issues with closed loop lambda control, whereby you try to force the injector to deliver more fuel, but because the ECU is still in closed loop the fuel is subsequently trimmed and you are back to square one, remember the ECU is still firmly in control despite these tricks being played on it! I'll stop here because I could easily spend all night on this subject, if only tuning was as easy as + or - on the keyboard. It requires a thorough understanding of all the main principles within the system in order to achieve a powerful and holistic tune.

In summary, the Unichip is not straightforward, but I do like it a lot for certain applications, especially of course when the factory ECU is locked out. It can work very well for basic setups and "special" conversions (as I have undertaken on a number of older cars), however, it is by no means a replacement for remapping the factory ECU. The cost alone is significant, more than double or triple the average price of an ECU remap, and none of the associated hardware, wiring intervention or having to make such extreme hacks to the engine management as mentioned above. It has been around for a good while, and in the early days many Coupes were tuned like this as there was no other option. Of course, back then power levels were much lower, if you had 280-320bhp you were really at the top of the game! Invariably the Unichip is chosen by the tuner, not the customer. This is simply down to the fact that it allows a tuner with no knowledge of the factory ECU the ability to “tune” a vehicle. I could tune every single Coupe with the Unichip, but of course I won’t because tuning the Bosch ECU is a much better approach and ultimately a lot cheaper.

i thought you could not live remap a fiat as when i went to wallace performance up my end they said it could not be done and gave me the option of unichip

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384715
13/10/2012 21:31
13/10/2012 21:31

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Wow...

i thought you could not live remap a fiat as when i went to wallace performance up my end they said it could not be done and gave me the option of unichip

Look at fleas sig or in the traders section on here

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384726
13/10/2012 21:48
13/10/2012 21:48
kidderminster
nick_d Offline
My life on the forum
nick_d  Offline
My life on the forum

kidderminster
Maybe they said that because 'THEY' can't live map the coop....
What they CAN do is sell you the unichip and map it for you at a great PROFIT to themselves!!

Nick

368bhp @ 1.5 bar
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384730
13/10/2012 22:13
13/10/2012 22:13

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

The emulator and software required and actually getting hold of it from Italy is expensive.
Wallace performance are very well respected and know there stuff so stick with there recommendations with using the unichip.
Will work out cheaper and there experience on this setup will get good results.
One of my customers running the unichip rates there work and professionalism .

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384739
13/10/2012 22:39
13/10/2012 22:39

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

As it's been mentioned already why is it the injector light comes on in 4th- 6th gear when pushing on? The car also seems too loose power when the light comes on?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384740
13/10/2012 22:44
13/10/2012 22:44

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

Its not suprising that Wallace Performance would recommend the Unichip, it's simple maths.

If you are in the business of selling performance parts and services then in order for your business to grow and for you to make more money, your best bet would be to appeal to the largest possible audience.

The Unichip offers you this ability. It kinda "does what it says on the tin". It's a uni-chip.

Wallace Performance can have their people trained up on the Unichip and then offer tuning services which will work on 90% of the cars on the road. But becuase the Unichip is this "jack-of-all-trades" solution, it will always be the "master of none".

Personally, i see it in the same vein as aerodynamic additions you can buy like Spoilers or front spliters etc. They're designed to do a job and yes they do it, but you would be far better off redesigning the shell of the car to incorporate these features. Not only will you end up with a better result, but you'll also be far less likely to experience a component failure as you're not simply bolting things onto the car.

:Disclaimer (before someone jumps down my throat) :

I have no experience of Wallace Performance, buying or selling performance parts or services or The Unichip or how it works. I have simply applied a little business logic to the "Why Wallace Performance recommend a Unichip" conversation. I have also used the Ronseal catch-phrase without permission.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384741
13/10/2012 22:46
13/10/2012 22:46

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

The emulator and software required and actually getting hold of it from Italy is expensive.
Wallace performance are very well respected and know there stuff so stick with there recommendations with using the unichip.
Will work out cheaper and there experience on this setup will get good results.
One of my customers running the unichip rates there work and professionalism .

yeah they more about the jap seen but matty from wallace has a coop to

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384742
13/10/2012 22:49
13/10/2012 22:49

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: porkypaul
As it's been mentioned already why is it the injector light comes on in 4th- 6th gear when pushing on? The car also seems too loose power when the light comes on?

If you are having this problem then if Flea has mapped it get it back to him to check as it couldn't possibly be a sensor or component failing putting it into limp mode it would obviously be the mapping rolleyes

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384743
13/10/2012 22:57
13/10/2012 22:57

C
crazylegs
Unregistered
crazylegs
Unregistered
C

Well Martin to keep things simple and only from my side but I would spend the money on a uni chip or stand alone any day due to you can get some money back in resale and more people can map these in more areas.

For me buy good tools once not cheaper tools twice.

All the best Martin with the research there is more than enough info above.

Good luck.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384747
13/10/2012 23:20
13/10/2012 23:20

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

If you are having this problem then if Flea has mapped it get it back to him to check as it couldn't possibly be a sensor or component failing putting it into limp mode it would obviously be the mapping rolleyes

It's been like that since it was mapped Dave. So not sure what you are implying?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384749
13/10/2012 23:25
13/10/2012 23:25

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Do you still work for flea as last we spoke you didn't and you certainly wasn't in favour of the live map .

Paul The maf goes out of range at4800rpm to 4.88 volts consistently followed by the illumination of the injector light.
When the boost tails off he maf comes back into range and he light goes off.
And as if by magic it stores no code even with the software plugged in.

Running the unichip allows the use of a map based sensor which means the maf is redundant effectively and therefor controls the lower revs only.
I will be using this system when your engine has been replaced as bore wash has killed it.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384750
13/10/2012 23:29
13/10/2012 23:29

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

Cheers John for clearing that up. The reason I ask is I know of a few cars which do the same as mine.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384753
13/10/2012 23:32
13/10/2012 23:32

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

i am still confused what to get or do so meany pros and cons for the unichip

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384755
13/10/2012 23:35
13/10/2012 23:35

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

I don't know what's involved in the stock ecu so it is what it is.

I will make sure your setup is properly optimised Paul.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384756
13/10/2012 23:37
13/10/2012 23:37

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Ring Flea and Wallace performance on Monday
Pros and cons for them both I'm sure .

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384758
13/10/2012 23:41
13/10/2012 23:41

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

It's been like that since it was mapped Dave. So not sure what you are implying?

The reason I say this is if it has been happening since the map get it back there to be checked surely that would be the thing to do not keep driving it? If you notice a problem then do nothing about it how will the problem go away?
Is Leigton even aware of this problem that you say has been happening since it was mapped?

Do you still work for flea as last we spoke you didn't and you certainly wasn't in favour of the live map .

Paul The maf goes out of range at4800rpm to 4.88 volts consistently followed by the illumination of the injector light.
When the boost tails off he maf comes back into range and he light goes off.
And as if by magic it stores no code even with the software plugged in.

Running the unichip allows the use of a map based sensor which means the maf is redundant effectively and therefor controls the lower revs only.
I will be using this system when your engine has been replaced as bore wash has killed it.

Johnny there you go again with incorrect information I have never said that about the live maps,
Also I haven't done work for Leighton for a long time now probably over 2 years.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384762
13/10/2012 23:45
13/10/2012 23:45

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

Too late now mate the engine is knackered.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384763
13/10/2012 23:47
13/10/2012 23:47

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Funny that Dave as you did.
Infact there's several witnesses to your conversation.
3 of them are currently on the board.

If you want to dig a bigger hole then feel free.
I find it comical that your current stance in black and white differs vastly from what was said in person.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384767
13/10/2012 23:52
13/10/2012 23:52

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

I also did question it on the way home from having the mapping done.

That's good too know John.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384769
13/10/2012 23:55
13/10/2012 23:55

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

John I'm not going to get into a bitching match with you and I'm not digging a hole.

I know what I have said and I have never said I don't favor the live map confused so no idea where that has come from

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384770
13/10/2012 23:58
13/10/2012 23:58

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Paul ,Moral of the story is sometimes things go wrong and you should insist the car is checked if your not happy.

Dave it was said from your lips out of your mouth from your head on your neck.

If your feeling a bit of amnesia then we can all remind you of this next time we meet .
And before you accuse me of being "bullish" that's not a threat just clarification of fact.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384777
14/10/2012 00:06
14/10/2012 00:06

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

TBH thought it was right as I've seen a few cars that this happens on.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384778
14/10/2012 00:07
14/10/2012 00:07

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Ring Flea and Wallace performance on Monday
Pros and cons for them both I'm sure .

Agreed.

As for the original question unichip or gtech I would way up what you want to do with the car and what power you want How much money you want to spend,
There is a big cost diffrence between the unichip and the gtech, you can also search to see the average power for the gtech on here.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384779
14/10/2012 00:10
14/10/2012 00:10
west bromwich
C
coupedummy Offline
Je suis un Coupé
coupedummy  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
C

west bromwich
I just want to now if the unichip piggy back system is any better than the cheap gtec chip as I was going to get the piggy back system fitted to my first coupe

Back to original question chaps.

The gtec chip was a cheap generic tuning chip which offered a lot of bang for buck. After further testing it was found as all cars are never the same some ran lean,some ran rich and not optimised for a specific setup.

The unichip was as good as the mapper tuning it and judging by people here it is better now then earlier versions( I personally have no experience on the unichip) but does piggyback the original ecu.

Other option is remap the original ecu. Leighton has been doing this for a few years and others are breaking onto the scene. A more tested method over recent times.

Last option,standalone kit( I have no experience and I think for more very bespoke applications)

Think what you need to assess, is your spec and what exactly your after with your car. Then choose your desired option for mapping.

[Linked Image]
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384780
14/10/2012 00:12
14/10/2012 00:12

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Paul ,Moral of the story is sometimes things go wrong and you should insist the car is checked if your not happy.

Dave it was said from your lips out of your mouth from your head on your neck.

If your feeling a bit of amnesia then we can all remind you of this next time we meet .
And before you accuse me of being "bullish" that's not a threat just clarification of fact.

Jonny I didn't think that was bullish but feel free to try to remind me of somthing I haven't said and as Alesix says send me a pm if you wish or start a thread in another section

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384783
14/10/2012 00:15

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

I was told by someone that's maps high end supercars, race cars etc that if you are going too fit bigger injectors that you should fit a stand alone ecu?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384784

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

No Dave you clearly said it and I'm sure the various members texts I have got will also remind you as well.
Backbones can be repaired,but I'm not the liar here so I'm not hiding behind pm's.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384786
14/10/2012 00:23
14/10/2012 00:23
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Back on topic regarding the Unichip before this banal stirring deletes another useful thread.

When you run aftermarket boost control it obviously means the ECU is not controlling boost. Within this remit, the ECU expects to see X boost, therefore if it falls out of this range for a significant period it then flags an upper or lower threshold error. That's it, there is no implication on performance or any other running issues. If I tune the ECU accordingly for an "aftermarket controller" then no light, but as it makes no difference... As I noted in the technical post above, tuning for big boost is no problem.

It is expensive, very expensive. I don't use this though, all my software for all the ECUs I live map e.g. Fiat, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Renault, TVR etc, it is developed in house by me smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384788
14/10/2012 00:25
14/10/2012 00:25
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I would also note that all injector light "errors" are logged on the 20vt and can be read.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384789
14/10/2012 00:27
14/10/2012 00:27

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Would it also be an idea to offer discounted mapping checks annually to make sure everything's ok as this rich running and injector light issue are becoming common.
Agreed the car could leave and develop a fault but better safe than sorry.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384790
14/10/2012 00:28

S
sparkyman
Unregistered
sparkyman
Unregistered
S

For starters ignore about 30% of the replies, hidden agendas

Phone Flea and Matty and ask their opinion.

Matty,iirc had a 400bhp coupe about 4 years ago and had his coupe for quite a while before going to the dark side. I have dealt with Matty at Wallace Performance several times and they did the work on my coupe to a high standard and charged me less than the going rate, Matty seems to me, like an honest guy and will try and do the best for you and your car. When I was last up there a good couple of years back Im sure they had a 1000bhp racing evo.

Matty dosent come on here much, feel its only right to state the above.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384791

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

Jonny I didn't think that was bullish but feel free to try to remind me of somthing I haven't said and as Alesix says send me a pm if you wish or start a thread in another section

I'm not trying to hide behind anything thats why you see I also said start another thread.
Then you probably didn't see it as you have missed lots of points that I have made in this thread,
So thats enough of the bitching on this thread sorry to the OP for the OT but hope I have answered your initial question.

Johnny if you wish open a thread somewhere else that everyone can see and we can dicuss it there feel free.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384792
14/10/2012 00:29
14/10/2012 00:29

P
porkypaul
Unregistered
porkypaul
Unregistered
P

It was on the standard ebv when it was mapped.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384793
14/10/2012 00:34
14/10/2012 00:34

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Not bitching its highlighting a clear misunderstanding for what your recommmending and also a blatant mistruth.
I think it's a bit late to say back on topic as its for all to see now so if you want to raise a pm then feel free.

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384795
14/10/2012 00:47
14/10/2012 00:47
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
It was on the standard ebv when it was mapped.

In that case it is likely to be a significant sensor issue and can result in limp mode instantly in order to protect the engine, so there would be a significant loss of power as the boost is reduced to base, although you would almost certainly notice/see this boost drop. Either way the code would be logged Paul.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384796
14/10/2012 00:49
14/10/2012 00:49

S
Senny Dave
Unregistered
Senny Dave
Unregistered
S

No mistruth from what I have been saying it was all facts, I also haven't said anything about getting it back on topic I just appoligised to the OP for it going OT but yet you don't see what is in black and white as you put it

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384798
14/10/2012 00:53
14/10/2012 00:53

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Yes I see the black and white.i also listen when people talk as you did.
Although these discussions aren't always favoured on an open forum I think it's highlighted some issues requiring answers.

Anyway..........

Flea:-
The sensors all work fine,the car didn't go into limp mode ,the loss of power was caused by the excess of fuel higher up the rpm.
As in dropping into the 10's.
No faults are logged by my software.
The black smoke was always apparent on this car followed now by white oil smoke.
The excess fuelling caused bore wash causing crank case compression.
Taking away the fuel stopped the smoking and the oil smoke however the damage internally is unrepairable .

In your opinion Flea what sensor issue would've caused such symptoms?

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384801
14/10/2012 00:58
14/10/2012 00:58
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Please start another thread John if you want to get stuck into that on behalf of Paul, no problem for me. This one is about Unichip smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384803
14/10/2012 01:04
14/10/2012 01:04

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

If Paul wishes to get an answer for the questions asked by me above then that's upto him.
The relevance may not be on this thread but as your offering an alternative to the unichip (not relevant to the unichip)maybe answering that on this thread and any others raised by Paul would stand you in favour.

Re: Unichip [Re: Flea] #1384805
14/10/2012 01:16
14/10/2012 01:16

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Back on topic regarding the Unichip before this banal stirring deletes another useful thread.

When you run aftermarket boost control it obviously means the ECU is not controlling boost. Within this remit, the ECU expects to see X boost, therefore if it falls out of this range for a significant period it then flags an upper or lower threshold error. That's it, there is no implication on performance or any other running issues. If I tune the ECU accordingly for an "aftermarket controller" then no light, but as it makes no difference... As I noted in the technical post above, tuning for big boost is no problem.

It is expensive, very expensive. I don't use this though, all my software for all the ECUs I live map e.g. Fiat, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Renault, TVR etc, it is developed in house by me smile

well the coupe i am buying has a blitz boost controller and its this one here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLITZ-SBC-ID-I...=item3f1ba009d2
and the coupe i am buying was a members car from essex its silver one a t reg with the le leather seat with the red inserts

Re: Unichip [Re: Flea] #1384808
14/10/2012 01:44
14/10/2012 01:44

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

[/quote]
how long do you take to remap it

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384809
14/10/2012 01:51
14/10/2012 01:51

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

whats the full spec of your car, if it is relatively standard i would personally just get the gtech chip and get it on the rolling road after, it's £20 and has worked really well on heaps of cars

i am sure that you may get additional performance from another more specialised chip for your car as has been stated the gtech chip is a generic chip but you have to ask are the other options particularly the unichip really worth the additional expense

another person to speak to would be graham_l as he writes the gtech chips, worth giving him a pm for some info, decent bloke and he will be happy to answer any queries u have

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384811
14/10/2012 01:54
14/10/2012 01:54

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

its got fmic a blitz boost controller i think its had something dont from barbz himself

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384812
14/10/2012 01:57
14/10/2012 01:57

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

dont really now whats it had done till end 26th as i not getting the car till then

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384813
14/10/2012 02:11
14/10/2012 02:11

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

fairly standard then, for me it would either be a gtech chip (generic) £20 or a remote map (or live map if you are down there picking up the car, best option) from flea £200 (fc performance) who will be able to taylor the map for your setup, the expense associate with the unichip just doesn't seem worth it although i have no doubt matty would map the car really well for u although i would doubt if you would get much change from £500 from all accounts

i have no experience of the unichip so cant comment on how well it works or otherwise, but i dont think on your set the extra expensive is worth it

Last edited by doug20vt; 14/10/2012 02:15.
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384814
14/10/2012 02:24
14/10/2012 02:24

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: doug20vt
fairly standard then, for me it would either be a gtech chip (generic) £20 or a remote map (or live map if you are down there picking up the car, best option) from flea £200 (fc performance) who will be able to taylor the map for your setup, the expense associate with the unichip just doesn't seem worth it although i have no doubt matty would map the car really well for u although i would doubt if you would get much change from £500 from all accounts

i have no experience of the unichip so cant comment on how well it works or otherwise, but i dont think on your set the extra expensive is worth it

no doug the car is up here it was from essex but the guy that owns it transported it last year from essex and its up here now

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384816
14/10/2012 02:46
14/10/2012 02:46

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

might be worth trying the gtech chip and see how happy you are with it and if you arent happy with it then go for one of the more expensive options but obviously there is only so much performance you will get from the car without changing the turbo

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384817
14/10/2012 02:54
14/10/2012 02:54

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F

might be worth trying the gtech chip and see how happy you are with it and if you arent happy with it then go for one of the more expensive options but obviously there is only so much performance you will get from the car without changing the turbo

I will be changing the turbo at somepoint

Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384822
14/10/2012 07:22
14/10/2012 07:22
west bromwich
C
coupedummy Offline
Je suis un Coupé
coupedummy  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
C

west bromwich

I think it's a bit late to say back on topic as its for all to see now so if you want to raise a pm then feel free.

I'm afraid try to guys. This is fiatcoupes86 thread, not a thread to continue to argue your differences of opinions chaps. We all no where this usually goes.

All been voiced and hope the op can take what he can from the thread and take if from there.

Any further questions fiatcoupe86?

As said the gtec is a generic map and not always suited to some cars so get all characteristics checked out when installed e.g fuelling etc.

Last edited by coupedummy; 14/10/2012 07:29.

[Linked Image]
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384834
14/10/2012 09:24
14/10/2012 09:24
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
FWIW, my injector light comes on, but only after a few seconds of base boost. No performance change - don't feel a thing

The light doesn't come on after prolonged higher boost though, which I find a bit weird

When the light is on, a small lift of the throttle is enough to make it go out

[Linked Image]
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384841
14/10/2012 09:52
14/10/2012 09:52

G
gargoil
Unregistered
gargoil
Unregistered
G

no doug the car is up here it was from essex but the guy that owns it transported it last year from essex and its up here now

I have just removed a unichip from my car. I have had my second Coupe for just over a year now. In that time the car ran generally fine however was always very jerky and not very smooth coming off and on boost. This was with original EBV/new EBV and subsequently an Armvall PRV. I had regularly (about onece - twice a week) hunting revs at idle betwen 750-2000rpm), no boost leaks, icv working as expected etc - car otherwise in good health.

I recently have removed the unichip from my Coupe, with helpful instructions from Leighton. The unichip looked like it had been installed by a child with "My first soldering kit"; bare wire showing which hadn't been insulated, random wires just hanging down, wires not tie-wrapped together and the unichip wasn't actually attached to the car. It just seemed to have been wedged above the ECU housing.

I am now running a Flea mapped ECU (Still to get the the rolling road to have fuel trace done!) However I have had no bother at all with hunting revs/jerkiness etc and am very happy with it. Fleas assistance/customer service is superb.

My previous car was a Clio 172 Cup which also had a Unichip fitted to it when I bought the car. Maybe just coincidence but I had bother with the Clio cutting out/hunting revs/ rough running. Eventually got a custom map and the Unichip removed and no issues at all.

The Unichip on my Coupe was dated 2005 and the Clio one was dated 2008. I have no knowledge of what Unichip dealer fitted either of them.

I don't think I even have to say which one I would recommend. smile

Last edited by gargoil; 14/10/2012 09:53.
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384861
14/10/2012 11:35
14/10/2012 11:35
N.E Scotland
mattB Offline
Club member 6
mattB  Offline
Club member 6
I AM a Coop

N.E Scotland
Martin- sounds like the current mods on the car are a bit unknown so would suggest a first stop of getting it on the rollers and see how it performs. Then make a decision on what the next step should be.

As for the rest of the bickering rolleyes

Death-rattle-tastic
Re: Unichip [Re: ] #1384863
14/10/2012 11:42
14/10/2012 11:42
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey

well the coupe i am buying has a blitz boost controller and its this one here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLITZ-SBC-ID-I...=item3f1ba009d2
and the coupe i am buying was a members car from essex its silver one a t reg with the le leather seat with the red inserts

I have this controller and a live map and it has run sweet for years now. Personally I'd keep it pure with a live map.

997 C4S
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3