» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (carmine, Rosso, Flynngavs, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,627
Posts1,341,366
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,834
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790229
08/03/2009 20:35
08/03/2009 20:35

D
DanDan
Unregistered
DanDan
Unregistered
D

Chatting to a customer at work and went outside with him to fetch something from his car. Was parked next to mattyb's coupe so there were 2 of them sat there. We got chatting about cars and i pointed over to the 2 coupes and mentioned mine was the silver one and he called us "boyracers".
How dare he!! shocked

They are both completely standard too.

Also had a passenger in the car who got in and said in these words, "is that a custom dash?"

haha smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790291
08/03/2009 21:40
08/03/2009 21:40

J
JIM16vt
Unregistered
JIM16vt
Unregistered
J

You couldnt be closer to the truth,only time my coupe gets a diss[as a chav would say] is when someone or one of my mates in a fit of pure jealousy.
Funny enough just meet my mate at the shell,he lives other side of brum,i dont see him that often.
He couldnt stop asking about it and complmenting it.
Its fast yea but it brings so much more to the table than that,it really does
If you said to me do you want to swap your coupe for a lambo spider i would.Then i wouild sell the lambo and go and buy another coupe,and have lots more doe to spend on it.
For me the coupe is the best car in the world,i will never own another car unless i have another run around for work and that.

Last edited by JIM16vt; 08/03/2009 21:42.
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790363
08/03/2009 23:11
08/03/2009 23:11

H
Hedge
Unregistered
Hedge
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: Mrs_LickyL

I think it's up to all of us to try and change that perception by respecting, caring and loving our coupes.

I think that's a very valid point.
London - especially - is littered with poorly looked after Coops, I think.
As you say, I guess it's inevitable when they cost so very little.
Can't see them ever becoming classics but then I kinda don't care if they do or dont anyway.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790373
08/03/2009 23:29
08/03/2009 23:29

J
JIM16vt
Unregistered
JIM16vt
Unregistered
J

I think they will tbh.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790525
09/03/2009 10:28
09/03/2009 10:28
Westcliff-on-sea,essex
aust_powers Offline
Enjoying the ride
aust_powers  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Westcliff-on-sea,essex
I'll probably get shot down in flames for the following statement but:-

I think colour has a lot to do with it, take Saturday night as an example. I was out for a meal for my dads birthday and I parked along the main road outside the restaurant behind my brother in laws new black Porche. I clocked a few people walking past the porche to check out the coop laugh

Yellow suits the car so well, it is the kind of colour that not only makes a car stand out at night, but makes a already good looking car stand out even more. thumb

Austin

GT28rs,Pro alloy FMIC,Blueflame exhaust,SIP, Bosch 440cc,Helix organic clutch,Stage 3,331bhp,295lbft
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790565
09/03/2009 11:56
09/03/2009 11:56

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

just remembered, when some old biddy drove into the side of mine a couple of years back she was distraught at her first ever accident - she said to me " i'm so very sorry i've damaged your beautiful, classic car and i hope you can restore it to its full beauty" now this woman was driving a very expensive amg merc, so i was kind to her as she loved my car.....

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790568
09/03/2009 11:59
09/03/2009 11:59

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Hedge

London - especially - is littered with poorly looked after Coops, I think.

whilst that might be true hedge, i can understand why. i went down to whitechapel for the weekend last week and dont think i saw a single parked car without multiple dents. parking is awful, people dont EVER give way or let you out of junctions, and the dirt is unbelievable!!!

no wonder they don't give a fccuk about the cars, they just get trashed on a daily basis!!

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790598
09/03/2009 12:32
09/03/2009 12:32

P
peanuthead
Unregistered
peanuthead
Unregistered
P

i actully only get people mainly saying they don't like the fiat :-( i once had a stunning girl who works with me say how nice it was but genraly i get stick for owning this car.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: aust_powers] #790605
09/03/2009 12:39
09/03/2009 12:39

J
JIM16vt
Unregistered
JIM16vt
Unregistered
J

True,as much as i love the speed red and sprint/eletric blue[favourite couler coupes]i always had my hart set on a yellow one.
Looking at a yellow coupe,everthing else around it looks dull,black and white.
The coupe looks fresh next to any i mean ANY car!

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: aust_powers] #790614
09/03/2009 12:50
09/03/2009 12:50
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: aust_powers
I'll probably get shot down in flames for the following statement but:-

I think colour has a lot to do with it,

Austin

I was just going to post this. Having a Vinci Grey I don't get too many comments.

However friends Sprint Blue or Broom Yellow do smile

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Sedicivalvole] #790644
09/03/2009 13:20
09/03/2009 13:20
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
I dont really care what others think about it, i love these cars! Fiat have made/still make some brilliant cars so i've never understood the bad perception of FIAT, i used to love the old punto gt turbo and the little old 500 and the barchetta....if the public have a bad perception/dont like the car, theyre missing out on a fantastic motor with a real 'feel good' factor and are just silly badge snobs. Ive had nothing but positive comments/stares/admiring glances since owning the car, occasionally i get jokey, jealous jibes from my mates saying 'its a fiat something will go wrong on it soon' or all fiats are crap but i know that really theyre either jealous or dont know anything about cars otherwise why make a comment smile?

I'll be back smile

Alor Blue Seat Leon FR 180 atm smile
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Tommy_Coop23] #790649
09/03/2009 13:24
09/03/2009 13:24
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
Regarding the yellow comment, its so true. I dont get half as much attention in my red coop as my old yellow one. I dont usually like yellow cars, except the seat leon cupra r etc but the yellow looks amazing on the coupe and makes it look exotic and 'special' smile currently saving for a vis or 20vt in yellow smile

I'll be back smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Tommy_Coop23] #790654
09/03/2009 13:32
09/03/2009 13:32

H
Hedge
Unregistered
Hedge
Unregistered
H

Fact is that when any car is bought for pennies, it's gonna have pennies spent on it. Hence the majority of them are not going to be terribly well looked after.

Add in features like the Top Gear one where - let's face it - the car is ridiculed, then the public perception is a negative one and skewed, at the very least.

Until we have an awful lot more written off, I don't think they'll ever reach classic status. Even were that to happen, I very much it, still.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790662
09/03/2009 13:42
09/03/2009 13:42
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
I think top gear take the p*** out of nearly every car that they have on the show unless its a seriousely good car so i dont think it matters really and the fact that it costs little to buy doesnt really matter as it means that you can pick up a fantastic motor for little money

I'll be back smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790665
09/03/2009 13:43
09/03/2009 13:43
Selby
Mansilla Offline
My job on the forum
Mansilla  Offline
My job on the forum

Selby
I'm not convinced that Top Gear ridicule the Coupe in particular. Clarkson's job is to be rude about cars, whether they cost £800 or £800k. And I'd question how many non-coupe / vitara / huge lexus barge owners even remember that feature - if it were not for the endless repeats on Dave it would be long forgotten.

All I'll say on the classic debate is that the price is in Practical Classics each month, and the car has been featured more than once. Depends what you think a classic is.

1. Think of something witty and urbane
2. Imagine it written here
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Mansilla] #790682
09/03/2009 14:07
09/03/2009 14:07

P
Paulioski
Unregistered
Paulioski
Unregistered
P

Still speaking from the outside, (though not for much longer hopefully!) it was the looks that got me interested in owning a coop intially.
The styling and back end are gorgeous, though the dual lights at the front took a little while to appreciate..

yellow and red ones stand out a bit more for me, (though I do have a soft spot for scotts green) and the LE, with the nice touches like the rear light surrounds and side skirts.

When I mention to my friends about getting a coop its more the Fiat stimga thats the issue, when I explain a bit more about it, they usually quieten down wink

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790693
09/03/2009 14:42
09/03/2009 14:42
North Oxfordshire
S
simonj Offline
Competition Level
simonj  Offline
Competition Level
S

North Oxfordshire
I've only ever had positive comments about my Coupés, from little boys waving to nice comments at the pumps.

Back in 2007, I was lucky enough to accompany a 355-owning friend on a leg of the Ferrari 50th (?) anniversary convoy, which went around the world and had a few legs in the UK, to which Ferrari owners entered a draw and were them drawn at random. Chatting with other owners at the start and then at the party at Maranello dealership in Egham, whenever I was asked what I drove and said I'd had a Fiat Coupé, there were only positive comments from the Ferrari owners.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: simonj] #790696
09/03/2009 14:55
09/03/2009 14:55

W
will666666
Unregistered
will666666
Unregistered
W

Badge stigma will always happen, "oh you drive a fiat", so what? I debadged mine, but only because I wanted to clean up the lines on the outside and because I love people asking what it is... The amount of people, including a fair few young women say things along the lines of you've got that flashy silver sports car with the private plate, as opposed to you've got and 11 year old fiat...

As for the 355 owners, I've got a friend who owns a 355 and he loves the coop, he had one 10 years ago, and he even refers to his 355 as his sporty fiat, but although he is minted, he doesn't like to talk about it...

As for the younger generation, even the max power brigade seem to like the car as they know how much car you get for your money in terms of standard looks, standard performance, features and potential to modify...

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: simonj] #790714
09/03/2009 15:11
09/03/2009 15:11
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
I can't think of a single person I know who likes the looks of a coop... All my mates love the grunt but none of them have a nice comment about the styling.

I've showed pictures of them to people at work after a girl there was taking the piss out of it (she always does). The best I've heard was "It isn't that bad but I don't like it".

A guy at work has an Evo VIII FQ320 (@350bhp) and he was talking to her. He said his car was 'functionally ugly', but the FIAT "really goes out of it's way" crazy

He recently tried taking the piss with the breaking down thing, so I pointed out that his engine has let go at under £40k miles and he conceeded the point laugh

I don't think I've ever heard a positive comment on anything but the noise or pace of the thing... Maybe tastes in Essex aren't what they are in the rest of the UK?

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790723
09/03/2009 15:23
09/03/2009 15:23

M
Mrs_LickyL
Unregistered
Mrs_LickyL
Unregistered
M

I've just remembered something - one of the cops at work once asked me if I could change a tenner for the chocolate machine. I said something along the lines of I haven't got a penny as I get paid peanuts to which he replied "what? With that Ferrari you've got in the car park?" laugh

Mr L drove it to work last week and one of the cleaning ladies asked if it was a 1.6 shocked He was not amused . . . laugh

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Tommy_Coop23] #790786
09/03/2009 16:37
09/03/2009 16:37

H
Hedge
Unregistered
Hedge
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: Tommy_Coop23
I think top gear take the p*** out of nearly every car that they have on the show unless its a seriousely good car so i dont think it matters really and the fact that it costs little to buy doesnt really matter as it means that you can pick up a fantastic motor for little money

Every car? You think? Hmmmm.

It was a joke article and the Coop was in it. Ok, so the Alfa article was similarly funny, but at least the brand came out well in the end. As for the Coop, well, it did the car - and it's perception - no favours at all.

The fact it cost so little to buy is the exact reason there's so many shoddy looking ones knocking about. Hence the perception, IMO.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Trappy] #790799
09/03/2009 16:56
09/03/2009 16:56

J
JIM16vt
Unregistered
JIM16vt
Unregistered
J

TBH i thought essex was all xr2 and xr3,all the essex boys with doe then its a scooby or evo.
Jap cars for the older and ford for the younger people in essex.
Thats the way it seems to me anyway?
Funny how the people with negative comments on the coupe,mostly drive censored cars themself.
Take my friend adam,he said i should get a good car,for the money i had i should of got a scooby,i laughed and said what can you say?You drive a 1.4 old banger of a vauxhal NOVA.
I then said you had your licsense for nearly five years[same time sa he owned car]and all you done is put a stupid looking bodykit on then took it back off again.Then i said your car hasnt even got 3rd gear and you have the cheek to say that.
TBH i no full well he is just plain jealous,and just knowing that is enough to make me feel good about my coupe,he is the only one who give negative comments on it.

Last edited by JIM16vt; 09/03/2009 17:01.
Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #790826
09/03/2009 17:24
09/03/2009 17:24
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
Originally Posted By: Hedge

Most cars that appear on the show JC has a good old dig at, but thats what he's good at, I didnt say EVERY car.

Every car? You think? Hmmmm.

The article was funny and i thought the coop looked fantastic in police livery smile Its a well known fact amongst those in the know that coops are cheap to buy so no suprise there.

It was a joke article and the Coop was in it. Ok, so the Alfa article was similarly funny, but at least the brand came out well in the end. As for the Coop, well, it did the car - and it's perception - no favours at all.

There's shoddy ones knocking about because the owner has neglected them, just like with any car, only the general public or numbnuts see the car as a rusty nail, those in the know realise how much car they are for the money...

The fact it cost so little to buy is the exact reason there's so many shoddy looking ones knocking about. Hence the perception, IMO.

I'll be back smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #791079
09/03/2009 22:18
09/03/2009 22:18

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

i overheard a bloke and his girlfriend walking past my house one afternoon, the girl says to her bloke, "oh my god look at that ferrari!" the bloke stops and looks at the back of my car, smiles and matter of factly says, "no its just a bloody fiat!!" made my day!!! probably took her out that night for some donutting at mcdonalds car park in his mums saxo...

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #791084
09/03/2009 22:21
09/03/2009 22:21

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

also, in response to the early comments about jeremy clarkson/top gear, have a look on you tube, there is the original test drive of the coupe (not sure which exact model but a turbo none the less) and he says, and i quote, "the last time i had this much fun in a two door italian sports car, it cost over £150,000"

enough said.

All hail president clarkson

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #791195
10/03/2009 00:07
10/03/2009 00:07

J
JIM16vt
Unregistered
JIM16vt
Unregistered
J

Clarkson does give the coupe some good comments, It was Hammond and May who took the mick.

Also Clarkson did a review in top gear magazine[i belive]you could find it on the web.

If jezza never messed about with the wheels and done that stupid jay- turn at the beggining of lap I think we could of been in for a good lap time.I always wanted to know what it could do it in?

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #791484
10/03/2009 14:20
10/03/2009 14:20
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
Ive seen the review and very positive it was too, the public reaction as he parked it up in the middle of town was incredible smile. Crowds gathered round it.... love

I'm referring to the youtube video btw

Last edited by Tommy_Coop23; 10/03/2009 14:21.

I'll be back smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Tommy_Coop23] #791507
10/03/2009 14:50
10/03/2009 14:50

O
owl10
Unregistered
owl10
Unregistered
O

gets a mixed reaction, as expected really, its a bit of a marmite car, and personally there are one or two angles where i think it looks awful.

at least though it gets a reaction of some kind.

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: ] #791511
10/03/2009 14:53
10/03/2009 14:53
Stoke-on-Trent duck!
T
Tommy_Coop23 Offline
My life on the forum
Tommy_Coop23  Offline
My life on the forum
T

Stoke-on-Trent duck!
Best angle for me is front side from a distance, looks stunning, worst is rear viewed towards the rear side

I'll be back smile

Re: Whats the public perception of the Coupe? [Re: Tommy_Coop23] #791731
10/03/2009 20:33
10/03/2009 20:33
J
JKD Offline OP
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline OP
Forum is my job
J

Ive seen the review and very positive it was too, the public reaction as he parked it up in the middle of town was incredible smile. Crowds gathered round it.... love

I'm referring to the youtube video btw

I can't find this video that you guys are referring to!

It looks good at all angles, but the best view is when you are in the driver seat wink

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5