» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 259 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,624
Posts1,341,348
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,834
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239751
29/11/2006 14:29
29/11/2006 14:29

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I fail to see why a car must have a cat if it can pass an emissions test without it.

Ross

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239752
29/11/2006 14:32
29/11/2006 14:32

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because the Government says so?

Certain toxins are also converted (I don't know the exact physics)so are less harmful to the environment, hence the "converter" bit of the name.

Last edited by jayzee; 29/11/2006 18:06.
Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239753
30/11/2006 03:18
30/11/2006 03:18

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

if the car passes the emmissions test its fine, it would never be taken any further (imo, although academic as i am sure it wouldnt). If you was pulled by the police and they noticed, you can just say that it passed its mot though??? If that was the case they would probably ask you to take a retest possibly.

Most police are just normal blokes, and it depends if you draw attention to yourself, if you are sideways round a round about for driving like a tw@t then he will look for things like that, but if you drive like that possibly you should get done. but thats a different topic.

Ultimatly if the car had a cat from the factory then it needs it on now, if it doesnt, then you can be done. wether you would or wouldnt would be a different matter... i would say wouldnt, at worst be told it must be fitted, and 7days to do so!

My oppinion

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239754
30/11/2006 05:00
30/11/2006 05:00

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But are you insured?

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239755
30/11/2006 12:49
30/11/2006 12:49

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

1. Insurance companies will only insure a car if its road legal in its country of registration.
2. if a car is not road legal due to a deliberate act by the user / keeper then the policy is not void, but becomes 3rd party only, so that other people dont loose out.

To satisfy the law in EEC areas (most civilised countries too) you need cover against 3rd party risks. So if you remove the cat, technically the insurance company 'could' down grade your cover to 3rd party. in much the same way as they do if a driver has their licence suspended by a law court but is caught driving.

So yes you would be insured but at a much lower level. Your risk it is then. or as i said earlier, create a group buy for houses in the Isle of Man. Cats are not needed here... .. oh and yes did i mention the lack of speed limits out of town????

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239756
30/11/2006 17:43
30/11/2006 17:43

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So that's it then.... a trip to Longlife to get my cat put back on.

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239757
03/12/2006 07:09
03/12/2006 07:09

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im insured and i know im covered as you can run an LPG converted car without one as even without a cat its still better for the enviroment than petrol

On the police thing, i got pulled over the other night for exuberant(spelling vickster!) driving and he thought
1, i was driving some kind of TVR(!!!), please i have airbags and ABS
2, the car next to me was a saxo(mk2 golf GTi)!

so i dont think the cat thing would be a worry unless they were traffic police clued up on cars well enough but id say the average exhaust note would give it away and also when the insurance assessor see it to value the write off potential of the car...

PS i passed my last MOT without a CAT using the bloke that iceberg has doing his MOT's

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239758
04/12/2006 03:48
04/12/2006 03:48

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

An MOT pass is not sufficient for a car to be road legal. A cat is required by law.

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239759
04/12/2006 04:18
04/12/2006 04:18
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
I think we're going round in circles on this thread, so can we bring it to a close, please?

The debate about cats and MOTs is largely irrelevant - typically insurance documents require that your car is road-worthy, which is not the same as MOT'd or road-legal.

It is not the job of insurance companies to enforce construction & use regs, so any modifications they accept are covered, even if they technically make your car illegal for road use. From a legal viewpoint your insurance company would find it impossible to back out of providing cover for an item that was declared to them and which they accepted as a material part of your contract.

If, of course, you don't declare a de-cat, or if your insurance company won't provide a quote with it as a modification the boot is on the other foot and you could well find yourself in trouble.

So, can we end it there?

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239760
04/12/2006 20:16
04/12/2006 20:16

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't see how it makes much odd's while there may be a legal requirment for vehicles to be fitted with a cat the form size shape and airflow charteristics would be of no interest to an insurance company other than if by changing it, it affects the vehicles performance.

After all you could have a cat fitted which is pretty much non functional, either through wear or because the cells have broken up which *technically* makes the vehicle unroadworthy, however the driver and insurance is unlikely to be aware of this fact.

I think it would only come into play if it was deemed that the component was the cause or contributed to an accident, such as the coupling failed and the pipe came off causing an accident, or by increasing the performance to such an extent etc etc.

Otherwise from the conversation I had from my insurers it would seem that they would only replace the broken parts with OEM equipment, therefore if you smashed the car up, they would repair it to how the manufacturer had it thus you would loose any extra goodies (even if declared, unless you specifically insure the modified vehicle parts).

If you were to smash your car up to the point where the cat is damaged then in all likelyhood the cars going to be a total loss anyway. So the decat is neither here nor there.

If the accident was subject to a police investigation and it was found a car was heavily modified and that was a cause of the accident then it may be a different story. But you have more to be worried about with worn tyres or brakes.

As far as I'm aware anyway is the insurance assessor simply looks to agree the cost of repairs quoted by the repair shop to ensure they are not getting ripped off for unessary bits.

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239761
04/12/2006 23:10
04/12/2006 23:10

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just declare a 'non standard' exhaust. That way you are just been honest but vague.

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239762
05/12/2006 18:40
05/12/2006 18:40

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another option you have is to fit a high flow cat.

Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239763
05/12/2006 19:15
05/12/2006 19:15

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The insurance wouldnt pay out though as the car wouldnt pass the MOT for emmisions. if they spot checked you on the road, and yes i have seen it done. and tested the cars output it wouldnt pass and having a non valid MOT means no insurance as the car is not road legal then.

But THOUSANDS of cars are being driven with dodgy tyres / brakes / suspension etc which would fail an on the spot test. An MOT is not meant to gaurantee that the car is ok for a whole year - that would be impossible. Tehcnically You could drive out of the MOT station straight into another and fail (although unlikely)!

As the general public are not expected to be solicitors, I think if you notify your insurance company and they except the risk of a cat-less exhuast they would find it very hard not to pay out to both 3rd parties AND to you. I cant see the courts swinging in the favour of the insurance company if they told you its OK!

So - how about this as an attempt to come to some kind of agreement

IF decat NOT declared then you are liable to have your insurance reduced to 3rd party and are liable for prosecution for failing emissions / be made to fix it.

IF decat IS declared then you are pretty safe insurance wise but still liable to prosecution / putting it back on after a spot check?

Last edited by warnysouth; 05/12/2006 19:23.
Re: De-cat... are you technically insured? #239764
05/12/2006 19:54
05/12/2006 19:54
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
OK, we're going round the loop again, so this one is being forcibly closed.

Thank you to all who have participated.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2