» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (shaky20vt, Jamjam12), 275 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,736
Posts1,342,222
Members1,597
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,615
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,310
PeteP 21,576
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,368
Edinburgh 17,001
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Worst worry" and "best "moments" with your Coupe #1672498
20/06/2024 23:38
20/06/2024 23:38
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline OP
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline OP
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Behind Enemy Lines
Just been thinking about my Coupe experience- good and bad.

Running out of fuel (doh was parked uphill, low fuel and then a 2 mile trip up and even steeper hill to the garage - cue thinking cam sensor, yellow fuse of death, ecu blow out?..nope 2 gallons of fuel after a walk of shame and she was back...of course it was at a t junction on a set of lights....)

The time the alarm system went awol - driving everywhere with hazards flashing and not a clue why..! as I cruised around in "stealing me" mode.

Shredding the aux belt when I went toe to toe with a modern Boster GTS - driven by a friend. Beaten only just (i should have simply changed up earlier and let the trubo do the work....but got in to a "grunt" race with an extra cylinder on their car). As the power steering stopped and the battery warning light illuminated at ...well high speed....I realised what had happened.... Cue 1-Thanking the gods i had Joe put on his aux guard custom pulley- a car saver!! Cue 2...I was calm enough to be able to figure out how much battery life the car had..drive to a pub, Have a pleasurable pint and a half- chit chatting about how close it had been. And then calmy driving off....all the while knowing what had happened....confidence sometimes is king.

The time I took her to Nurburgring. On the way- high summer in Belgium near Slijpe on theE40 - a road that can see some commuer congestion but usually rolls freely. Que a traffic jam due to a crash. Then dark summer rain storms.....then the most biblical hail storm I have ever been in (and I have been in USA hail many times) with hail the size of gobstoppers- i just sat there fearing that the car had been peppered and ruined...and that the glass was going to come in...i even thought about getting out and throwing clothing over her....she survived somehow without any dents. How to this day i do not know.

And the fact that each time I do maintenace/repair- she rebels. Going sulky.

The good...

First buying her. A bit unloved by the last owner...driving her pretty much the whole country home.,..I had toppped up fluids, she was warm and at a motorway toll gate - just thought "aw to hell with it- why not" and pegged her- cue illegal speeds in 2nd!!!!!! flat out".

Realising she needed a real bit of resto....cue first trip to FCSS....and a lot of work later-with realisations that one of the injectors was not right. Nor was the MAF, nor the temp sensor....you get the picture -then picking her up and just feeling her run so "sweet" with that 5 pot burble.

Surprising a 911 996 4s (gosh i sound like a boy racer- but all of these have been traffic light grandprix moments) at another set of dual carraigeway roundabouts- when he just assumed he would pull out in to the fast lane and disappear....and just cut me of -but could not detach me from the rear of his car-even though it sank inches at the read as he pressed the gas and gave it his all....smiles all around from me.

After advice that coupes can come alive under a Mr Flea (Leighton) tune-up - taking the decision to have him give her a very customised "GT" spec- more frugal on fuel, but better speed with revs and much more toruge everwhere....and seriously swearing out loud when I first put my foot down! Cue the same day getting in to a dual carriageway roundabout to roundabout rodeo with a Ferrari 550 brachetta-(yes a proper one-hens teeth)in the same colour as mine- i think he just assumed this little red "fiat" would be humiliated.....and yet when the speed got serious...he faded away...yes of course his car was cooler and i wanted it. And no doubt he could have gone faster...but i think mine was totally able to see of the bigger Fiat brand that day!!! And Mr Fleas work has proven to have been such a good decison- anyone driving her can not beleive she is- whn psuhed but how easy under normal driving conditions. I was always acverse to tuning...but if you want a teateful considered step up the ladder-m with BETTER mpg..I promise you-do it!

Hoping to take her out again this weekend!

Wondered what your experiences have been?

Regards MM

Re: "Worst worry" and "best "moments" with your Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1672531
23/06/2024 10:27
23/06/2024 10:27
Cleveland
P
PaulL Offline
Club Member 1872, Regional Rep N.E.
PaulL  Offline
Club Member 1872, Regional Rep N.E.
Enjoying the ride
P

Cleveland
Hello MM

Your adventures seem a little more exciting than mine !

My favourite trick is revving the engine and moving slightly forwards at lights, while in the slow lane next to a nutter.
When the lights change and he is 400 yards away in a cloud of smoke, I turn left.

Worst is getting invoices. However small

Re: "Worst worry" and "best "moments" with your Coupe [Re: PaulL] #1672748
03/07/2024 10:13
03/07/2024 10:13
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
Worst moment was a total brake failure at 70mph when I applied brakes to come off dual carraigeway at my junction!! Managed to get off at the next junction and crawl home with gearbox/handbrake use. Helix braded hose had been rubbing, worn through and dumped all fluid.

Most fun was a rolling (ca. 40mph) start burn up with Nissan GTR, he only dropped me by a car length, before he experienced the magic 3rd gear and must of wondered what they hell was following him with laugh out loud driver :-)

Oh yes, returning from Flea's on M4 with OBC in passenger seat, not wanting to get pebble-dashed by a gritter, so undertaking by going off at junction and then coming back on, giving it some beans and experiencing the full benefits of the 360bhp re-map......

All my numerous visits to Rog at Powerfiat, PowerItalia and PowerDevelopments were a highlight and a great laugh.

Last edited by Mark_S; 03/07/2024 10:25.

997 C4S