» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Edinburgh, barnacle), 251 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,611
Posts1,341,245
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,564
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grande punto springs/dampers #1318984
23/02/2012 15:29
23/02/2012 15:29

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G

Probably a silly question, but is the angle of the lower mounting plate (where the springs sits) the same on all dampers?

One of the springs on my Grande punto snapped (with less than 25K miles on it!) so I'm trying to replace the complete spring and damper on both sides. I didn't want to fit the same crappy Fiat springs so got some Sachs springs from Eurocarparts. Also ordered new dampers and top mounts from shop4parts.

Took all the bits to local garage yesterday and they fitted the springs and top mounts to the dampers, but the guy thought the springs were wrong as the top mount is sitting at a weird angle which really doesn't look right, as you can see in the following pics:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

The Sachs boxes for the springs have the correct part number and label saying they're for a Grande Punto 1.4 , also I went to my local Eurocarparts this morning and asked to see another set of the same springs (just in case the wrong springs were in the box originally) but they look identical to the ones I've had fitted.

So , could the dampers be wrong? It's really the angle that the bottom of the spring meets the mounting plate on the damper that's causing it to run "off straight" and end up so bent like that at the top... so do I need matching Sachs dampers or should the mounting plate be the same on all dampers?

Any suggestions welcome. smile

Re: Grande punto springs/dampers [Re: ] #1319016
23/02/2012 17:15
23/02/2012 17:15
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

ation
I thought you were trying to mix and match different parts from different models, but you're not?!

It does look strange, but you haven't fitted the top mount yet. Is there no pre load for the spring?

Do the springs fit the other way up and are they square ended. I.e. if you stood the springs on the ground would they point straight up?

Re: Grande punto springs/dampers [Re: ] #1319026
23/02/2012 17:39
23/02/2012 17:39

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G

There's nothing to adjust so I don't think there's any pre-load to change.

Yes, with the damper not actually fitted it's hard to say if the extra weight of the car will push the top mount flat, that was the one thing the guy at the garage said made him think they may be OK although it seemed unlikely.

The springs don't fit the other way, the top end where it fits around the top mount is flat (and they would probably stand upright on a flat surface that way around) but spirals inwards to the size of the top mount. The bottom end is wider and not flat and was much more steeply angled than the grove in the lower mounting plate on the damper.

Shop4parts have said that Sachs don't make springs for the 1.4 Grande Punto (and to be fair I can't find them listed on the Sachs site either) so not quite sure where Eurocarparts got them.

Have now ordered a set of Killen springs from shot4parts that they say will fit the dampers properly, so we'll see how that goes.

Re: Grande punto springs/dampers [Re: ] #1337238
23/04/2012 18:07
23/04/2012 18:07

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G

Forgot to update this, but if anyone is interested... turns out that it was fine at the strange angle and the original fiat springs/dampers are just the same.