» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (386ka, jimboy, Woka, Spoonz, french_coupe, 1 invisible), 262 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,419
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,659
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fiat Punto mk2 20VT #1134775
23/11/2010 22:19
23/11/2010 22:19
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Welll this is my first punto mk2 that I've owned, the plan is to drop a 20vt in and with supporting mods aim for 350bhp. The car is a toy used on weekends and for 1/4 mile days.

Now for some info the electric steering will be getting removed and replaced with fluid steering this is a personal choice due to the feel, 3 ways i can go option 1 is to fit a punto mk1 subframe like Samsonite has done or option 2 find a powersteering rack that will fit onto the existing subframe, 3 the one im going to try first is the coupe subfame as this will then have the rear engine mount already done and will have the engine in the right postion. but then will also mean ill have to find hubs and suspension to fit then how wide the wheelbase will be so not the easyest option to go for but the one that will give the best engine position which is the most inportant thing to make it safe with the power.

the next big issue is the interior, the dials that are in now give no info to rpm, boost, oil temp and so on, and i dont want 10 gauges scatterd round 3 option again a punto gt clocks, a coupe clocks, or a racing clocks the cheapist one will be the coupe as i have the wiring and clocks next will be the gt.
The dash board and seats will be coming out, and im on the look out for a full roll cage but this is not a issue atm.

i have never looked at the mk2 in great detail yet so all these plan could get kicked into touch and might be stuck with the electric steering and dash. only time will tell

slow progress as had no spare time, but had a few hours on it today and got the subframe out of the punto and fitted the coupe one made a few liltle adjustment to get it to bolt in at the front, the coupe rack is very close to the hole for the original rack but never got round to test fitting

me and the fabricator then looked at how to get it to bolt in the back and we are goin to make a frame to bolt into the punto floor using the standerd mounting points then the coupe subfame will bolt into that using its original bolt holes so it will be as strong as it was designed by fiat

i need to see if the punto struts will match with the coupe hubs if not, ive already been onto a company which will make a unit that will bolt onto the coupe hub then fit in the punto strut which will be best due to the coupe being a wider wheel base as i dont think camber bolts will be enough will add a couple pics soon as there still on my phone

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

as you can see not much as happened as had to fix my other car, picked up a new coupe 20vt for all the wiring and parts needed, spare engine will be getting forged hopefully next year, you can really make out in the pics but the front track will be wider about 30mm each side

had a spare hour today so removed the engine out of the punto should be more updates more often now, you can just see the subframe in the 1st pics

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Today i got the subframe and hubs/brake off the coupe and got it mounted into the punto and made plates to hold the struts/ hub together so the car is pushable now the plate will be made probly when engines in to geth the camber and stuff right

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

well after much playing around with different stuts springs top mounts and so on i finally got the coupe shocks and springs to fit directly to the hub with diffrent top mounts and diffrent caps (untill its road tested and proved safe i will not say what i have used incase someone copys and gets hurt) that took nearly the hole morning in a scrap yard with a tape measure

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

so after i got the two struts finiished i started to strip the coupe down then just got hungry so thats where it ended today

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

got the other side strut modified and mounted today on the punto then and got the engine wiring harness out off the dash and the ecu and clocks,removed all the parts from the engine so its now just held in by its two mounts and will be dropped one night this week as the coupe is to low atm and wont come out from under the bay
click to enlarge

well got up nice and early today as sun was shinning and managed to get the engine out the coupe the dash out the coupe and stripped the front end off the punto ready to try and get the engine in next weekend
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

had spare 5 mins today and didnt like the engine just sitting there incase some pikies got in the yard, so moved it somewhere safe
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

well bit of a update, the misses is curently in disney land with the lil one so was up till 4 last night playin black ops laugh
i got rudely woken up this morning by my boss ringing me saying" where are you its 11am" so i told him im having the day off i got the reply "cod last night?" lol
so went in and done a few lil jobs to stop him stressing, then i set about the engine bay drilled the spot welds out of the battery tray and removed it dropped the subframe back out then lifted the engine into place with it hanging in mid air got the subframe back in bit scarey with the massive heavy engine swinging with me lying under it,
then fitted the rear mount to engine then had a good hour trying to get the bugger in the right place and bolted to the subframe finnaly got it bolted up with a slighty mod the the rear mount spacing it clears the chasis leg (but the pas catches in the rad support arm might be able to make it clear, time will tell when i get to make the front mounts up)
then dropped it to its feet happy with the progress today was not looking forward to chopping the chasis leg would have been alot easier but not the way i want to go

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1140534
05/12/2010 22:19
05/12/2010 22:19
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
05/12/2010
Well since the the punto is buried in a foot of snow, ive been sorting the wiring harness out, started out with all the wiring out of the coupe stripped it down and tryed to work it out, but fiat seem to like to take one wire through 30 connections so was a nightmare to remove wiring that isnt needed, so im going to fully redo it and make a new fusebox so spend 12 hours going through a really poor wiring diagrams and now left with the main connections i need with the wires traced to what there for, i would not recommend this to anyone unless your a auto electrician
so ended up with a big pile of binned wiring, so this week going to get the dash out of the punto as cant move it atm so front mounts will have to wait
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Last edited by Jack; 05/12/2010 22:23.
Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1143009
11/12/2010 20:11
11/12/2010 20:11
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
11/12/2010
Well the snows gone very quickly, so had a chance to work out the front mounts hopefully i got them at the right level, will be welding them up next weekend as thats when my welders free

Then set about removing the dash,once that was out just got the colum bolted up then set about installing the wiring to see if i could get it started well to see if i got the immo to work, turns over but wasnt get a pulse to the coil so checked the immo and the light on dash was flashing so couldnt do any more till i knew what the problem is after looking on the web its cause i used a booster pack so will try again on mon, hopefully a good battery will get it to work other wise it will be de-coded

just need to get the colum mounted proply, waiting on a front part of a rollcage to get that done

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1143779
13/12/2010 20:56
13/12/2010 20:56
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
well small update, had a good battery so put it on and turned ignition on code light comes on then goes off, so happy that the immo works, hoping the snow holds back till next week so can get the engine mounts all done and strenghten the legs this weekend

Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1145963
18/12/2010 21:10
18/12/2010 21:10
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
Well done a bit today even though it was -5 so was hard to move my hand's,
Removed both front wings and opened up the chasis legs then set about strenthening them got half way done and my welder had to go do a job for a few hours so had a tidy up of the engine bay to make it look as if its moving forward as a project lol, I then bolted up the engine mount then went to bolt up the gearbox mount and it hits the chasis leg frown as seen in pic, and also the dipstick is blocked by the brake fluid resivor just needs bending
I also seen if i could get the coupe rad to fit and first look it wont fit in full it sits way to low but didnt try to get it to fit anymore as hits the powersteering pipes and couldnt be arsed to remove it as had more welding to do then filled the coupe up of scrap as going the metal heaven on monday

click to enlarge

So i have to do decide either to redo the mounts to make the front sit lower which will make the engine sit at the wrong angle or modify the casis leg needs a corner cut off where the gearbox casing hits it
Need to find a pic of a hgt expansion bottle to see if that will fit in as coupe one has no where to mount it

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Last edited by Jack; 07/01/2011 23:39.
Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1153526
07/01/2011 23:38
07/01/2011 23:38
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
06/01/11

well got alll the welding done on the mounts and chasis, cut out where the gearbox was hitting stuck the bolts it to hold it in place as was 7 at night pitch black and freazzing, and the donner coupe went to the crusher and recived a parcel that been waiting for ages

click to enlarge

some goddies
cobra 4-point harnesses
click to enlarge
Greddy boost controller profec-b and baileys dv26
click to enlarge
And a Widget that shows live data from the ecu
click to enlarge

Last edited by Jack; 07/01/2011 23:40.
Re: Fiat Punto mk2 20VT [Re: Jack] #1153789
08/01/2011 20:01
08/01/2011 20:01
North East
J
Jack Offline OP
Making a profit
Jack  Offline OP
Making a profit
J

North East
well started the day by tightening the mounts up started on the gearbox side and got a bit worried as the timimg cover was touching the chasis, then tightened the engine side up and it made about a 3mm gap laugh you would think i spent days measuring it up

then set about installing the rad and put the rad support bracket in but it needed major cutting due to the location of the oil cooler pipes, so needs strengthed and brackets welded onh to hold the rad in its new location

then i installed the driveshafts and fitted some camber bolts to get the front wheels in the arches

then set about doing some wiring but got bored, so will be doing a liltle bit daily, then removed the sound proofing on the inner bulk head and took a grinder to the steering column bracket so now i can steer the car with the steering wheel instead kicking the tyres to turn

so will be getting it on the ramp next week to get the gear linkage mounted and hopefully see if it will start and the gauges work

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge