Fiat Coupe Club UK

Odd 20v ?

Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Odd 20v ? - 06/12/2018 17:23

Chaps

Must get around to a build thread for my track 20vt. In the meantime - odd one this.
Did a cambelt on it the other day. With a pal who is a mechanic. Had the correct cam locking tools (Laser 3636). They didn't seem to fit the inlet cam 100% - checked with Laser - definitely the right ones etc. They did hold the cams enough we could do the belt. It starts and runs, bit of a cover noise issue to resolve as all 3 covers I have here are warped to hell....
In stock I had a polybush for the o/s engine mount which I am doing tonight, and a polybushed stabiliser bar.
The stabiliser bar supplied to be was different to that fitted to the car - spoken to a few 20vt pals who all say mine is wrong and the supplied one is correct (mine is the lower one) :-
click to enlarge
This is the bracket on my engine:-
click to enlarge

So i checked my two 'spare' engines:-
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

And also the broomy I have here awaiting me starting a resto:-
click to enlarge

Anyone shed any light? Spoke to prev owner - he isn't aware the car had an engine change. But the stabiliser oddity plus the cam tools not being quite right:-
click to enlarge
have me thinking,...one person wondered if it was a Lancia block for example - but thats way past my knowledge level !!!!

Anyone got any thoughts? Not sure where the engine number is on these...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Odd 20v ? - 06/12/2018 18:49

They changed the stabiliser bar at the engine side quite late in production, your coupe is the late type all the other pics are the early type.

I also used Laser 3636 cam locks when doing my belt change and it was similar to yours, the inlet side didn't fit 100% but it was good enough to stop the cam moving and do the job.

So basically all normal and nothing to worry about. smile

Re: Odd 20v ? - 06/12/2018 19:50

Thats interesting Graham, thanks.
The car is a '96.
How late did the bar change?
Been having a scout around for an engine number but it is looking blank!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Odd 20v ? - 06/12/2018 20:46

Actually checking Eper I got that the wrong way around, they changed it very early in production on 04/12/96, yours is the early type and all the others are the later type. rolleyes

Re: Odd 20v ? - 06/12/2018 21:06

Thanks graham
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Odd 20v ? - 07/12/2018 12:59

Graham is correct - Fiat changed the bar from the old "dog-bone" version with captive bushes at each end to the later version where the captive bush was only at the chassis end.

Crazy idea, as the bushes collapse quite readily (especially with tuned cars) - the later system means you have to faff around making an aftermarket bush fit into the cast alloy mount. The original bar was an absolute doddle to replace when the bush inevitably collapsed

Re: Odd 20v ? - 07/12/2018 13:31

Yes i was thinking that Nigel - as one of the bushes in my dog-bone looks a bit crappy.....
Be a nightmare to replace the later design.
Know of anyone doing polys for the dog-bone?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Odd 20v ? - 07/12/2018 14:46

Originally Posted By jonnyboy54321
Know of anyone doing polys for the dog-bone?

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Upper+Right+Engine+Mount+Bush+/12714.html

But I think this is the bush for casting at the engine, rather than for the dog-bone

Re: Odd 20v ? - 08/12/2018 09:53

Yes that is the one i have in stock which of course doesn't fit....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK