Fiat Coupe Club UK

Experiencing brake fade

Posted By: Anonymous

Experiencing brake fade - 18/11/2010 16:22

My coops getting brake fade quite quickly

On a 10 minute journey the brakes are fading

I have stripped the brakes down serviced them (wire brush and copper slip)

At the minute all I can think is the pads are of a poor quality (bendix)
The brembo brakes ain't sticking or leaking and I recently adjusted the rears so they wasn't dragging for mot

Any suggestions please
Posted By: Per

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 18/11/2010 18:58

Have you replaced the brakefluid with water? Change it back! smile

Something is seriously wrong. Did you try bleeding the brakes?
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 18/11/2010 18:59

How recently was the fluid changed ?

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 18/11/2010 19:19

The brake fluid hasn't been changed by myself yet it went through mot last Friday fine and on the way back I drove it pretty hard back to the garage I work at only covering 3 miles and after some hard but not excessive braking the pads absolutly stank and the brakes faded
As mentioned I suspected the pads were overheating and glazing over

The fluid change was the next todo as I'm unsure when it was last changed and it could be boiling up way to quick

Cheers for your input

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 20/11/2010 16:26

got my brake fluid changed today and ordered some mintex discs and pads all around,quite cheap in comparison to ebays saved nearly £80 so once there on and i have worn them in i will let you all know if the quality is good
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 20/11/2010 20:40

Great stuff - good brakes are important.
Posted By: gj88

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 20/11/2010 20:42

I can tell you now, the mintex brakes that are on my car are absolute crap and will be changed as soon as funds allow.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Experiencing brake fade - 21/11/2010 09:53

There are different grades of Mintex - standard is '1144' and a slightly better compound is '1155' - I've tried both and found them to be fine at town driving and gentle A road trundling. As soon as I gave them some grief though, I boiled the pad material (not the fluid - I actually had clouds of smoke from the wheelarches as the bonding resin melted, then boiled away)

It depends what you want your car to do - if it spends 90% of its time in town, with just the occasional countryside potter, Mintex will be just fine. However, if you tend to use the car's potential, I think you'd find them to be inadequate. If you're well-modded, I would strongly recommend you buy the best brakes you can afford, as a modded Coupe can get to silly speeds very quickly.

Ask Marco, Begbie and Mario about brake fade when I took them out for a spin in my car at the AGM...
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK