Fiat Coupe Club UK

Multilink rear suspension

Posted By: Anonymous

Multilink rear suspension - 11/04/2008 22:10

I've finally collected the Dedra Integrale from Calais - so the 20vt Coupe Integrale 4x4 project can start soon \:\)

The Dedra Integrale has the same simple rear suspension as the coupe. So.... I was thinking of changing it for the Alfa GTV multi-link system (which has the same floorplan as coupe) at the same time as adding the Integrale 4x4. Anyone ever used the Alfa light alloy subframe on a coupe, with the multilink suspension?

I'm not sure if this can be made to fit the coupe and house the rear diff and drive shafts as well, but it has got to be worth a quick look ...if it's any good.
Posted By: mattB

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 11/04/2008 22:13

It's been mentioned on here before. As I recall one of the issues was that you'd require to fabricate a new fuel tank. As I guess you'll probably be doing that anyway, it's probably not such a big issue. I say give it a go.

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 12/04/2008 00:59

JohnS probably knows the most about it. I think he and Barbz looked into it.

Chris

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 12/04/2008 18:55

Thanks - I'll PM JohnS

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 12/04/2008 19:48

very ambitious project. id be keen to see how it develops. do keep us updated on here.

redd
Posted By: mattB

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 12/04/2008 21:14

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post302916

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post110509

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 14/04/2008 01:00

Many thanks for the links, it looks promising. I'll keep the forum updated on progress.
Posted By: Stichl

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 14/04/2008 12:00

Hello Phil,

Nice to hear that you have got your car and can start your conversion now :-)
To the GTV rear axle - this sounds really interesting...
But I worry that you won't have the place to mount a GTV rear suspension and additionally the 4x4 from the Dedra.
I saw a subframe picture from Risi engineering Race Car Coupe 4x4. Even they used the original Fiat Coupe rear axle with original suspension mounts.
Only difference: They seem to have the fixed the rear differential directly to the floor by means of two big poly bushes. They did NOT mount it to the rear axle itself (like it is original at Dedra / Alfa 155Q4).
I do not understand fully the sense in this modification. Maybe that they tried to avoid a transfer of the changes of load (coming from the drivetrain) towards the rear axle itself.
If you are interested I can send you the pic from this car

Ciao
Juergen
Posted By: JohnS

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 14/04/2008 22:31

I mentioned this in PM but I think the 156 crosswagon may have rear multilink and is a 4wd model. Doubt the subframe will be exactly the same but will be similar.

I notionally have a GTV subframe. Short answer is that it will bolt straight onto a coupe minus the wheel well but the track is a bit wider I believe (but may be wrong) and the hubs aren't interchangeable with the coupe so it is 5 stud (5x98). They age quite badly so get yourself one off as late a car as you can if buying one. GTV has a special fuel tank that sits over the subframe but that won't work with a diff in the way.
Posted By: Per

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 15/04/2008 19:33

How do they age badly? Bushings?
Posted By: JohnS

Re: Multilink rear suspension - 18/04/2008 14:34

look on the alfa forums theres tonnes of info on there about it, cannot remember but they are expensive to overhaul
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK