Fiat Coupe Club UK

Lowering the rear only?

Posted By: Anonymous

Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 16:47

For a year ago or so I bought a set of lowering springs from Novitec, but never got to fit them as I thought the front of an LE is dangerously close to the ground anyways, but the rear could really use some lowering. Now, is it possible to only mount the rear ones, without any consequences, and will it even look ok?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:11

Its not just the spring length (and thus the ride height) - you'll be changing - you'll end up with different spring rates as well, which will alter your handling

basically, your car will be hard at the rear and soft at the front - it would probably oversteer.

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:12

How much would you be lowering the rear? i think if one tyre was noticeably closer to the arch it might look odd... like you've got a boot ful of bricks!

When lowering do you need adjustable tie bars (like a TT) to control camber or is it an easy spring change?

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:13

I dont think it would look right either, unless the back was lowered only very slightly. Is the front of the LE dangerously low? what kinds of roads do you drive on? \:o

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:23

Well the front is quite low on the LE, especially because of the lips...and if i reduce it by 35-40mm as the spring does, then it will be VERY close to the ground
Posted By: Welformed

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:32

If you dramatically change the pitch angle of the car you will increase undercar lift as well (unless the rear 'diffuser' on a Coop is actually any good at pulling air out from underneath, I don't know - probably no good at all!). This will make the front less grippy and maybe downright dangerous at 90mph+.

That plus the reasons above, like much more and very 'snappy' oversteer, I wouldn't recommend it at all!

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 17:53

Originally Posted By: yogisdk
Well the front is quite low on the LE, especially because of the lips...and if i reduce it by 35-40mm as the spring does, then it will be VERY close to the ground

I have an LE kit and 35mm lowering springs. I have at least 5" of ground clearance on the bodywork (less on the exhaust flexi), which is still plenty enough to get over speed bumps, and most kerbs, I can get my trolley jack under the side skirts. give it a try and see if it works for you \:\)

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 18:20

i don't think i have 5", clearance that is \:P

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 18:25

have you measured it?

(clearance, that is)

how much is it lowered?

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 18:40

i haven't measured it to be fair, but it wouldn't clear a regular sized kerb! have to be careful when parking!

its got eibach springs which are a 35mm drop!

also I can't get a trolley jack under the skirts, have to drive onto blocks of wood!
Posted By: Tartandude

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 18:48

Mine is lowered by 30mm over standard and I've got LE lips fitted.

Still a fair bit of room I'd say \:\)

Clicky

Edited to add: Oooh good point about the trolley jack, I may have to do the same

Re: Lowering the rear only? - 14/02/2008 19:11

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/meldin01/?action=view¤t=CIMG0668Small.jpg

hmmm, how many inches do you think that is?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK