Fiat Coupe Club UK

Am I getting old, or what?

Posted By: barnacle

Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 08:08

Passing casually through the bay of Eee I note that computers I used 40 years ago are all listed as 'vintage' (and of course, RARE, and usually 'for spares'). Even laptops from a decade ago are vintage, it seems. Most of these vintage (er, museum quality in box!) computers have totally unrealistic prices - at least, if you're Barnacle, and aren't prepared to pay eight hundred notes for something of interest but no practical use...

Similarly, cameras - y'know, the proper ones with film in them, not these electrical nightmares - that I'm still using also seem to have acquired the same trio of attributes. Though their lenses are almost always 'optically perfect' somehow.

Obviously, vintage now starts in 2010, rather than 'before I was born'. Surely it can't be long before the Coupé is vintage laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 08:44

Writing's on the wall Neil... laugh

Remember those things called LP's? They have a fancy name now, "vinyl" - it's what we used to put down on t'floor laugh

I still have all my old ones, even a few 78's and 45's ("what's that" I hear :D)

And as for reel-to-reel tapes, for the cognoscenti I still have a working Vortexion valve-driven unit, plays at either 3.75" or 7.5" per second cool
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 10:44

Aye! The time just keeps rolling on. I remember early cars that I had, some came with 8 track players, remember them. hippy
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 15:55

I find this post hilarious and a little worrying because when I met all you old lot I was young, and now I feel old..............so you're definitely vintage Neil laugh

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 16:51

The frightening bit for me is, I’ve had my Coupe for over 14 years now and it only seems like yesterday when I set off on my journey of discovery with the beastie, not really the way to think but another 14 years and I’m 80 shocked
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 17:45

Well I didn't count this last birthday (a big one) as I had this idea of spending it in Holland cool

If I keep doing that I'll stay the same age in the UK crazy

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 17:46

When you got your coupé, Jim, I'd already had mine twelve or thirteen years... I'm approaching antique!

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 22/06/2022 18:15

Neil, I couldn’t afford a Coupe when you first purchased your beastie.
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 23/06/2022 09:20

Cameras

I've nearly finished my reel of 12 snaps.
Then I'll be able to pop down to the chemists and get them developed.
Might get them back in time for Raby Castle in two weeks !

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 24/06/2022 13:23

Reel of 12? That must be 645 on 120 film? Or one of those tiny 25mm short cartridges?

(Some of us are on 5x4 and Quarter Plate sheet film laugh )
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Am I getting old, or what? - 24/06/2022 14:51

I was never particularly interested in photography but as an apprentice Deck Officer on the Shell tanker fleet we did go to some interesting places, mainly Far East.

I bought a Rondo Colormatic camera for £8.00ish( roughly a months apprentice pay) in Singapore early in 1962 and got charged £12.00 duty on it at Heathrow when I flew home in November that year.

Totally idiot proof, if you remembered to take off the lense cover that is.

Attached picture rondo colormatic.jpg
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK