Fiat Coupe Club UK

Baku Grand Prix

Posted By: barnacle

Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 13:11

Excitement, mayhem, and carnage - and that was just Eddie Jordan's shirt... did he actually pay for it or was he wearing it for a bet?

The race, though... disappointing. Not fond of street circuits that require suicidal overtaking moves.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 14:46

Azerbijian
Certainly an interesting end to the race.
The championship is coming alive nicely!
I suspect Vettel's class will prevail in the end?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 16:45

Great race - the Red Bull crash was inevitable.

I suspect Hamilton’s talent will prevail wink

Vettel threw away 2nd place.

The Mercedes AMG GT-R is the star car of this season so far!
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 16:48

They should employ the car clappers from London. They would of cleared the car in one lap.

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 16:57

Originally Posted By mikndo69
They should employ the car thieves from London. They would of cleared the car in one lap.

FTFY wink
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 19:12

Certainly an eventful race. I do the GP Predictor game and by the end, 6 of my top 10 were languishing in the DNF heap!

Vettel is doubtless a highly talented driver - 4 championships don't lie. However, when he is put under pressure, he cracks. Time and again, with today's needless throwing away of a certain second place the latest example.

I have a soft spot for both Hulkenberg and Grosjean, but today - especially Grosjean ("Ericsson hit me...!") - WTF?!

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 19:24

Leclerc is doing his reputation no harm in that Sauber Alfa
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 29/04/2018 19:50

It's going to be an interesting season
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 30/04/2018 07:52

Originally Posted By barnacle
The race, though... disappointing. Not fond of street circuits that require suicidal overtaking moves.

I don't think you can ask for much more in a race than we had yesterday. If you found it disappointing, I suggest you look elsewhere for your motorsport excitement!

Give me a street circuit like Baku over the snorefest that will be Barcelona in 2 weeks time.....

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 30/04/2018 09:35

A poor choice of my words. Not disappointed by the racing, but by the choice of venue; it's one of those courses where the winner is pretty much set on Saturday as the track can't be overtaken on without suicidal maneuvers, as demonstrated...
Posted By: Freddie

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 30/04/2018 14:48

I think it make's the season more interesting from now on,

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 30/04/2018 15:20

I’m not sure that’s true at all, barnacle. Baku has topped the tables of overtakes per race. Overtaking isn’t meant to be easy and the Red Bulls cocked it up but the ding-dongs between themselves and with the Renaults was great. It’s exactly what we want and the cock-ups means that it’s pretty much perfect: close enough to give it a go but difficult enough to make it challenging. Where there’s no overtaking at the front it just means that qualifying was “accurate”
Posted By: bockers

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 07:47

It was interesting on a circuit where many cars were running minimal down-force it allowed closer drafting, and then lunging overtakes. Much like F1 was in the 70s and 80s before Aero became king. Also then carnage will ensue fast moving machinery is now in much closer proximity to each other.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 08:28

I watched this race for a change, the first time in a long time, and just when I thought it was getting a bit boring I fast forwarded a bit, only to find I had missed the Red Bull crash. Overall it was pretty good I think, I might watch a few more races this season, but not any of the processional ones...
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 09:04

Originally Posted By bockers
It was interesting on a circuit where many cars were running minimal down-force it allowed closer drafting, and then lunging overtakes. Much like F1 was in the 70s and 80s before Aero became king. Also then carnage will ensue fast moving machinery is now in much closer proximity to each other.

They have just passed a new tech regulation for reducing the front wing downforce for next year. Hopefully that will have a positive effect on drafting and the teams won't be able to find the downforce in other areas on the car!

The rear DRS flap is being increased in size too yes
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 09:37

it's one of those courses where the winner is pretty much set on Saturday as the track can't be overtaken on without suicidal maneuvers, as demonstrated...

Did you actually watch the race?

2017 race, Hamilton was on pole and Riccciardo won it from starting 10th on the grid.
2018 race, Vettel on pole, and Hamilton won it from 2nd on the grid.

It had more overtaking in the 1st 10 laps than the Monaco GP has had in 10 years. It'll have more overtaking than Barcelona will have in a couple of weeks time too.

If you had watched it, you'd have seen both Renaults pass the RB of Ricciardo without doing a 'suicidal maneuver' Before the RB cars collided, Ricciardo passed Verstappen. Räikkönen made 4 passes. Alonso made 9 passes during the race. I could go on.

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 17:47

I did indeed, and dispute not your analysis. There was indeed overtaking, but between two similar cars?

Re: Baku Grand Prix - 01/05/2018 18:13

I did indeed, and dispute not your analysis. There was indeed overtaking, but between two similar cars?

Renaults and Red Bulls. Both run Renault engines - Red Bulls are a better car but Renaults were on better tyres. Overtaking isn’t meant to be easy but possible. That the two identical Red Bulls were so close just goes to show that even identical cars were able to duel it out.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK