Fiat Coupe Club UK

So.......

Posted By: bockers

So....... - 17/10/2017 06:10

I apologise in advance to those of you who have yet to notice this phenomenon.

The proliferance, especially on TV & Radio, of people starting every sentence with "So".

Why!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 06:16

It's not a recent phenomenon

The Spectator wrote about it six years ago

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/11/its-so-annoying/

I agree though - it's infuriating
Posted By: came2dance

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 06:39

So what exactly is your problem confused tongue
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 07:32

Almost infuriates me as much as the propensity for law enforcement being called the Plice
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 07:40

Sky F1 asked Nico Rosberg to be part of their team at Japan and had obviously asked him to try to avoid starting every sentence with “for sure”. And, every time he did, he would correct himself which was even more irritating than just letting him speak the way he does...
Posted By: Gripped

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 07:47

Yep, I posted the same topic a couple of years ago after hearing yet another scientist on "The Life Scientific" answer every question with. "So, ................."

I like to end every sentence with "Know what I mean?"

Know what I mean?
Posted By: Wishy

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 08:47

I do know what you mean like.

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 09:08

So we cant start sentences with so or end them with know what i mean like. So for sure I've no idea where this will end up like, know what I mean crazy
Posted By: Gripped

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 10:04

Like, in essence, essentially, basically and fundamentally, I agree.

Know what I mean like?

Or innit ?
Posted By: bezzer

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 10:26

"Can I get........" That's my current pet hate.

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 10:29

So, Arrrghh, my daughter says that all the time when we are dining out and the waiter comes around she's like "can I get the xxxxx" I keep telling her it should be "Can I have" like, know what I mean!
Posted By: Mansilla

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 11:01

I'm so glad you have all reached out about this issue.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 11:35

I actually heard someone saying, just the other day, "I was, like, literally..."

Grr.

PS - reporters: please learn the difference between 'insure' and 'ensure'; they don't mean the same thing - they're nearly polar opposites.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 12:13

Oh good, another language rant!

I'm definitely up for this

Dam*, the forum bot changed my d e f o to definitely !

Or should that be defin8ly
Posted By: jimboy

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 12:30

I was recently visiting a mate who is semi retired from design engineering & he listens to radio Scotland & is driven mad by "so"
He's one step grumpier than myself, he has written several letters explaining how annoying this is. I'm not at the letter stage yet.

I'm going to stop now, if I start pointing out my dislikes, I will not be able to stop. soapbox

Re: So....... - 17/10/2017 14:57

Originally Posted By jimboy

I'm going to stop now, if I start pointing out my dislikes, I will not be able to stop. soapbox

Just when it was getting interesting Jim laugh
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: So....... - 18/10/2017 05:39

"So" is just the latest incarnation of "well", which every interviewee used to say before beginning an answer. It is (as I'm sure everyone here is well aware) a device our brains use to buy time when structuring our response to a question. It is *almost* never voluntary (when used verbally) and joins the ranks of verbal tics we humans use as part of our complex communication.

Doesn't mean it isn't annoying though!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: So....... - 18/10/2017 18:23

Is it actually?
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: So....... - 18/10/2017 18:40

"So ..." is just something to say while you are formulating your next sentence. If you made no sound at all the other person would not know you are about to say something. You can use "Er ..." or "Um ..." in the same way, it just primes the other person in the conversation to listen to you. If you didn't make these sounds the conversation would have odd gaps and would not flow properly. If you find this annoying you must be in a constant state of discomfort!

The one that IS annoying is "at the end of the day ..." usually on TV discussion shows where The Public get to air their views. "At the end of the day, does it really matter if Theresa May has a spare £140,000 to spend on a silk scarf? It's 'er money innit? Knowottamean?"

Re: So....... - 18/10/2017 19:25

Originally Posted By AnnieMac
If you didn't make these sounds the conversation would have odd gaps and would not flow properly. If you find this annoying you must be in a constant state of discomfort!

A gap or two is not something I find annoying at all. It allows conversation to "come up for air", or to show that someone may be exercising some caution (not like some POTUS's) before they emit something, or just plain giving some more consideration to their answer.

But then speaking as a musician I may be more inclined to say that.... smile

Re: So....... - 20/10/2017 05:47

I meant - if you find "Um"s and "So"s annoying.

Re: So....... - 20/10/2017 05:51

I've noticed that if you listen to teenagers conversing a lot of it is just strange noises, like a video game. It's frightening, the dumbing down that's going on in schools.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: So....... - 20/10/2017 06:18

I do not see it to be much different than when I was a teenager at school in the 80's with respect to how parents (adults) viewed us and our attitude and vocabulary.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: So....... - 20/10/2017 07:11

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Originally Posted By jimboy

Just when it was getting interesting Jim laugh

Aye Simon, the over use of "wunna" & "gunna" seems to be over used at the moment.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: So....... - 20/10/2017 07:31

Does overly exuberant snapping of fingers on both hands above your head count too as an annoying recent thing?

Possibly as annoying as whipping of the fingers

Re: So....... - 21/10/2017 19:08

A different vocabulary is one thing, but when they are just making sounds it's so weird, like eavesdropping on cavemen.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK