Fiat Coupe Club UK

4G Networks - Advice wanted

Posted By: JLow75

4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 09:59

I am about to leave O2 and move to another 4G network & I am struggling with the decision!.

I only do SIM only rolling 1 month contracts, so it's not a disaster if I choose the wrong one, as I can easily move again.

I regularly listen to internet radio stations & use App's like Skygo & Mobdro to watch football games etc. It's ok at my house as I have Wi-fi. But I have two postcodes where I do not have access to wi-fi, mainly my 80 year old dad, who I visit frequently & not too far away my workplace gym - O2 at both these locations is abysmal, it sometimes barely will even connect to the net, let alone stream music or videos. never even get 3G

CV10 0TU
CV10 0HR

I have seen some good SIM only 1 month deals that offer 6 GB data per month.

I was looking at EE as it claims to be the 'fastest 4G in the UK' but the feedback I have read has shocked me - apparently it's terrible in alot of areas, people reporting not even getting 3G, let alone 4.

I hate these online 'network coverage postcode checkers' - they all seem to bring up perfect 4G coverage on those 2 postcodes!

So O2 (which also includes GIffGaff & Tesco) out of the question I have the choice of the remaining 4G networks:

EE
Vodafone
Three

Can users of the above networks comment on their 4G mobile internet speeds & consistency?

I'm very interested in Three - because Carphone Warehouse's I.D service (which uses Three's network) have a stonking SIM only deal - 500 mins, 5000 texts & 6GB data £12.50 per month!.

Anyone use I.D?

Also, regarding customer service & costs - do these SIM only deals usually cost more than stated (if you don't go over your allowances)

So to summarise I am looking for recommendations for the best 4G speeds & consistency in the Midlands

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 10:39

From a personal perspective (might just be the areas I frequent) Vodafone are abysmal at providing 4G despite what they say, and 3G is a very welcome but infrequent visitor too! I too will be looking to answer this conundrum when my deal expires!

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 11:09

Actually 3G would be sufficient for my needs - as long as it was consistent, which seems to be the main problem with O2. I know it's affected by many factors especially the weather.

It seems O2 & Vodafone appear to be the worst out the 4.

I'm going to go with Three I think - as I like their inclusive roaming in alot of European countries.

Unless someone can sway me towards EE

Not many allow tethering either now do they? (along with the demise of unlimited data plans)

Like I said I am only taking a one month rolling SIM only contract out - so if I do make a wrong decision it won't be a disaster I will just cancel & swap again
Posted By: Wishy

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 14:26

Originally Posted By: JLow75
Unless someone can sway me towards EE

I'm with EE and swaying you towards them isn't something I'm planning on doing. My mobile reception with them is generally OK but if I ever need to speak to them if there's an issue............
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 14:37

Been with Three for as long as I can remember and I am on one of there sim only deals with unlimited data. The only time I have had issues, so have other networks.
Posted By: Dan

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 16:37

Never had an issue with Three. Very cheap when you factor in free roaming. The only issue for me is when you have a voice mail you get a text notification rather than a proper voicemail icon.

I think I pay £9.90 for 1Gb a month
Posted By: SimonN

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 16:44

I have been with Vodafone floor some time. I went to leave them for to poor service and reception but they offered me a 4g package at a good price to stay, which I took. The 4g is excellent where you can get it, but it is patchy.
I would say to any one to avoid Vodafone.
Posted By: H_R

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 16:59

Im with EE but only due to an unbelievable iphone deal i got for my wife and I

Their coverage is good but the data coverage im disappointed with!
In city's with good speed its really good but i work out in the sticks a lot and even thought the phone icon says 3G it sometimes don't even work, I also get 3g then no signal 3g no signal.... cant believe you can get a decent 3g signal that disappears into nothing then pops back a couple of minutes later??

My company is with O2 and are planning to go to EE as apparently the emergency services use them so EE are obliged to improve their coverage, still they are on about getting vans fitted with 4g aerials to boost the signal in poor signal areas!

My daughters phone contract (my contract) is up for renewal and she will have a Three sim deal i have had one before and never really had any issues that i can remember except for no coverage in a few places provided it works you get a decent deal

If you just go for a 1 rolling month contract you could try it out and see how you get on before committing to a longer term!
Posted By: cjh

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 03/03/2016 19:26

Haven't read all the posts...BUT, i live in CV8 and switched last year from 02
I have zero complaints, I travel to Scotland and Ireland fairly often and never been let down...even getting 4g were my wife on voda phone can't get a signal. Very odd black spot...I do mean VERY

i got a great deal with unlimited text/mins & 6gb 4g data after vouchers came to £9.99 per month
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 04/03/2016 00:39

Check out the people's operator through us witch £12.49
Unlimited calls
Unlimited texts
6gb 3G data on eye network.
1 month rolling
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 04/03/2016 03:47

I'm with three and I get fantastic 4G speeds in Manchester. I've had over 100mbps!

Proof

click to enlarge

P.S There's an app called WSS which is better than Mobdro. I'm not sure if I can post a link to it on here but if you Google "WSS APK" you can download it from the first site that comes up wink
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 04/03/2016 18:06

I used to be on three, it was brilliant - only left because I got a mental EE staff offer
Posted By: Theresa

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 05/03/2016 01:20

Another vote for Three from me too smile

Re: 4G Networks - Advice wanted - 07/03/2016 13:03

Gone with Three (Well I.D Mobile Carphone warehouse - uses Three's Network)

Found via a Uswitch comparison

4G
5000 texts
500 mins
6GB Data

£12.50 per month laugh rolling 1 month Sim only contract.

will trial it before I port my number over. easily cancelled if it's no good.

The signal at my workplace seems abysmal on all networks
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK