Fiat Coupe Club UK

Insurance claim advice please

Posted By: jon13

Insurance claim advice please - 04/12/2013 19:48

Hi all,

I'm in a position of uncertainty as to which way I should go, but basically an elderly gentleman drove into the back of my van a couple of weeks ago whilst I was stopped in traffic.Nothing drastic, just a couple of mph shunt.Luckily I have a tow bar mounting plate, which afterwards was only missing some dust..the bumper is missing a little paint from where his bumper lipped up over the plate and caught it...

His 13 plate car has a 4-5" crease in the bumper...
We both stopped at a garage half a mile up the road so we were off the main road at peak traffic time.He got out of his car, apologised admitted fault..'foot slipped off the brake'. I checked both he and his wife were ok.We then looked at the respective damage and both agreed it looked purely cosmetic and would probably leave it..
The next morning rolls around and I've received texts and calls from the man and his insurance company. The company state they can arrange repairs etc and cover vehicle without the need for me to inform my insurance company. I have called my provider and asked for a call back..I'm yet to receive one after over a week..

I don't want to claim off mine as I'm aware it may affect my premium even though I'm not at fault.
Do you think it's a good idea to continue through his company and then inform mine that it's all been done after the fact??

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Jon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Insurance claim advice please - 05/12/2013 11:36

If as it appears it's a "no fault" claim for you, whereby your Insurance Company recovers all costs, I'd be inclined to tell them what happened - what happens if you don't tell them and something goes drastically wrong with the repair, for instance, or they discover significant damage?

I wouldn't risk it but there'll be brighter people along shortly with alternative views i expect.....

Good luck whatever you do
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK