Fiat Coupe Club UK

Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 11:35

I'm after the cheapest, least glamorous decently waterproof and warm winter coat. I often have to stand around in the cold surrounded by my fashion-conscious teenage stepchildren. Clearly I want to be as obstinately untrendy as possible. My Tesco jeans have been a great success on this measure (especially as they have brown lumps of PU foam on the leg), but the "Oh god what's he wearing now" factor of my Hi-viz yellow bomber jacket has worn off.

As I need a practical, waterproof and warm winter coat at absolute minimum price, can anyone recommend something that screams these criteria for maximum teenage embarrassment? I'm currently liking this , except that it's too expensive and a bit too poncy.

In my youth an NCB donkey jacket would have done the job, but they are all vintage picket-line chic these days.

Any ideas?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 11:56

Well as a confessed tight git, get yourself either to Primark or Matalan, much cheapness to be found.... hippy
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 14:08

With the added bonus of being the style of choice among street dwellers
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 15:22

You need to define cheap. This is a snip and I know it'll suit you sir

WOW - The ideal coat for Sir Jim
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 15:41

Originally Posted By: patch234
You need to define cheap. This is a snip and I know it'll suit you sir

WOW - The ideal coat for Sir Jim

laugh Is the figure quoted what they will pay you to take it away?hurl
I generally just pop into the local TK Maxx and see what's on offer.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 16:11

My days of keeping up with fashion are long gone that's for sure, but even I draw the line of the choice of cold weather attire up here. The grey or dark blue "hoodie" is chosen by even the older chap on the street, usually well worn ( like the wearer) & different coulered trousers to match, either the blue to match the grey or the grey to match the blue, you get my drift laugh

Purely from an observational point of view by the way... laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 18:11

So I thought I'd look up 'dirty mac' on the bay... just on the offchance, you understand.

It was not a successful search...

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 18:38

I found one:

click to enlarge silly

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 19:12

Hmmm. Some interesting answers... I'm really looking for something practical and effective but utilitarian. I'm not 100% sure the mink meets the criteria, nor the Primark/Matalan idea. The TK Maxx route is ok and I have bought things there before, but sometimes they are accidentally rather too much of a fashion result.
I regularly wear hoodies and don't feel any stigma attached, but what I'm after is something properly warm and waterproof.
Military kit I'd consider, but preferably not camo - it can be a bit too well thought-of youth wise.

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 19:22

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=110998943266
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 03/11/2013 20:11

Jim, mil kit also comes in olive drab flavour, as modelled in Last of the Summer Wine...now that can't possibly have any yoof cred! smile

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 05/11/2013 02:30

I just picked up a brand new waterproof Kappa ProThem Ski coat for £15 and a nearly new Nickleby showerproof coat for £10, both from charity shops. Both for motorbike use.
Wife just bought a BNWT House of Fraser - Jacques Vert mid-calf length, shaped charcoal grey wool coat size 12 with fake detachable collar for £19 (£300 new!)
Your old enough to be cheap IF you drive a Coupe ..

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 05/11/2013 05:32

Very good idea Robshed - I'm a big fan of Charity Shop Chic, but you do have to be lucky...

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 05/11/2013 10:07

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

In my youth an NCB donkey jacket would have done the job, but they are all vintage picket-line chic these days.

Any ideas?

Or used for funerals laugh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NCB-Donkey-Jac...=item19e42af453

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 05/11/2013 10:17

Love it!

Bit small for me though; plus it seems to come with a lot of baggage!

Re: Forum Power - cheap waterproof & warm winter coat - 21/11/2013 10:44

Wow, it's just what I've been waiting for - hopefully they'll make a fleece-lined version and I'll be in heaven!

Waterproof material
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK