Fiat Coupe Club UK

I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 18:14

Wooohoo!! laugh

After successfully wall mounting my tv and hiding all the cables etc, the missus has now agreed the tv is too small for the wall!! Woooooot!! laugh

We have a 42" lcd at the moment which is 3yrs old. This will be sold to a mate.

I want a 47"-55" led tv with or without 3d.

Recommendations please. I found a nice 55" on hot uk deals for £969, but this is probably outwith my reasonable budget!

Ross

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 18:32

If you're getting to that size i'd say get a projector.

But i dont think your mrs would be too please with you ripping all the cabling back out laugh

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 18:55

Originally Posted By: Truffle
If you're getting to that size i'd say get a projector.

But i dont think your mrs would be too please with you ripping all the cabling back out laugh

Yeah, its quite a small room really as well, so not enough room for a projector.

Ross

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 19:50

Samsung UE46D7000. Bit out your price range but worth it. I looked at everything in the price range, LED, plasma etc, and nothing comes close to it.

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:45

Looks nice spec on that mate. laugh

I dunno. I fancy an LED tv but not overly struck on getting 3d.

This looks like a potential contender.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-led-tvs/lg/47lw450u/lg-47lw450

But would prefer this -

http://www.richersounds.com/product/3d-tv/lg/50pz570t/lg-50pz570

But wary about getting plasma.

Is led worth the extra money?

Ross

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:47

I went into Currys PC World and they had an LCD, Plasma and LED all showing the same demo clips from the same source.

I preferred LCD overall for the type of programmes I watch.

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:52

Thats a good idea Daniel.

I'm probably gonna try* to pop into Richer Sounds, tomorrow and see what comparisons I can see on their screen.

Ross

* I have pulled a muscle in my back, due to my dodgy knee.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:55

Originally Posted By: Jonny
Samsung UE46D7000. Bit out your price range but worth it. I looked at everything in the price range, LED, plasma etc, and nothing comes close to it.

I have the UE46D8000, a simply stunning TV, even when it's turned off.
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:57

Ross,
If energy is what you're concerned about then either LCD/LED, if you want a more natural looking image then plasma

Jamie

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 21:59

Originally Posted By: Jamiepm
Ross,
If energy is what you're concerned about then either LCD/LED, if you want a more natural looking image then plasma

Jamie

I don't have high energy bills, so maybe plasma to rectify that? laugh

Decisions decisions.

Ross

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 22:09

i am clearly very out of touch, because nobody on here seems to think that £500 is a lot of money for a tv, and that a 50 inch tv is perfectly acceptable in a small room?

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 22:33

If I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket it wouldn't be going on adding 5" to my telly, that's for sure.
Posted By: Brewster

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 22:45

LED is definitely worth the money. I bought a 46" Samsung LED when I spent a whole day touring shops 18 months ago. It was by far and away the best picture I'd seen all day, even compared to other LEDs and although it was more money (£1k) than I'd intended to spend it has been worth every penny.

It's the first flatscreen I'd bought, using a CRT prior to that. Everyone who's seen it has been astounded by the picture from BluRay and 1080i source TV. A number of my mates have since been out and replaced their LCD/plasma tellies on the strength of it.
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 26/03/2012 22:51

Have a look at a txl47et5, new model out from pansonic, led, 3d etc.........

Although I dont agree with the plasmas using far more energy, panasonics plasmas last year use about 30 pounds a years..........

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 08:28

Hows your budget? laugh

Loewe Connect 40 LED 3D HD 1080p Digital...D + Free iPad 2

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 08:34

i paid 650 before christmas for a samsung 51" plasma 3d tv and it has a colour enhancer and the reviews are better than most led tv's. has its own 2d-3d converter and its the best thing ive bought. my mate has a 40" samsung led tv and he agree's there isnt any difference in colours bananas contrast from his to mine. plus plasma are better for gaming(more smoother)

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 08:44

Plasma will do nothing extra to 'smooth' gaming as there are very few console games which run at frame rates which would push a modern TV.

As an example, 60fps is considered an 'ideal' frame rate for console games. So you need a TV with an output of at least 60Hz, or 120Hz in 3D (as it has to fire two images, one to each eye).

Every modern TV will do that without breaking a sweat.

(also ALOT of console games dont even his 40fps so there really is no benefit)
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 09:28

Originally Posted By: craigthecoupe
i am clearly very out of touch, because nobody on here seems to think that £500 is a lot of money for a tv, and that a 50 inch tv is perfectly acceptable in a small room?

No, I'm with you on this one.

This may or may not make you feel better smile
Posted By: barnacle

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 09:51

32 inch.
Posted By: benje

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 10:17

Originally Posted By: Truffle
Plasma will do nothing extra to 'smooth' gaming as there are very few console games which run at frame rates which would push a modern TV.

As an example, 60fps is considered an 'ideal' frame rate for console games. So you need a TV with an output of at least 60Hz, or 120Hz in 3D (as it has to fire two images, one to each eye).

Every modern TV will do that without breaking a sweat.

(also ALOT of console games dont even his 40fps so there really is no benefit)

I thought it was more to do with input lag than anything else? I.e how quickly the TV can process the image presented at the HDMi input.

No idea how much of a difference it makes though as I often see figures of 35ms banded about, and I think you need cat like reflexes to see any benefit smile
Posted By: JimO

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 10:37

Originally Posted By: AndrewR

No, I'm with you on this one.

This may or may not make you feel better smile

I too am enjoying the coffee here smile

My lounge is 7m x 5m, I have a 47" TV in there, that looks too big too me!

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 10:54

I bought my 40" TV a few years ago when I lived in a tiny cottage, and the living room was less than 4x4m laugh

P.S I bought mine from John Lewis and when it broke (with a 5 year guarantee) they just brought me another one. Superb service.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 11:13

I agree too. Admittedly, I was driven too hard by stinginess and ended up with a crap TV, but at the end of the day, it's just a TV. I don't want my living room dominated by it - reminds me of that Black Mirror episode... that I saw on, er, TV.

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 19:33

i thought it was just me for a minute. just to add, if my budget was 1k for a tv, i'd, at a push spend £250 on a telly, and go on a holiday with the rest.
HTH smile

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 21:34

I'd just like to clarify that that is what I meant too. And not what it looks like it insinuates.

D'oh. Again.

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 27/03/2012 22:44

Bought this one

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis....mp;source=63258

Not overly bigger than my old 42' in overall dimensions, but the frame is a lot smaller and that means bigger overall screen size.

Superb picture from it, as it's led and really happy. Would have liked a 50' but it was just too expensive. Plus think it would have been too over powering.

Ross
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 31/03/2012 08:54

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-47lw4...-1181833?page=2

was gonna point people to this one.

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 31/03/2012 10:33

I was looking at this tv also.

Was happier getting the 550t as its a better tv.

Good price for the 450 though.

Ross

Re: I'm allowed to buy a new tv!!! - 09/06/2013 07:40

I was waiting for my X1/9 in MotorMechs on Friday and this bad boy is in Selfridges........... Great Gift at £35k!!!!! - Picture was unbelievable.

85" TV!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK