Fiat Coupe Club UK

Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad

Posted By: bockers

Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 09/01/2012 22:27

ANy Apple guys have a good application for this. I have a NAS drive with all our music and media on it. It is uPNP and DNLA compliant.

Is there a good simple app that will enable browsing and playing of this media on the iPad and ipod?

Many thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 10:12

Here is a list on wikipedia of UPnP/DLNA compliant iOS apps - might be something in there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients#iOS_:_iPhone.2C_iPod_touch.2C_iPad

Might depend on what format the files are in as to whether you can play them though. I think there are some versions of VLC for the iPad that might be worth trying first.
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 10:57

What NAS do you have?

VLC was pulled from the app store and is now only available via jailbreak. It wasn't that great anyway as it struggled to play a lot of my files as it didn't use hardware acceleration. May have improved since though.

I have used plugplayer which was ok but I only used it very shortly. I have used AirVideo which is good but needs a server app to be installed (can be on a desktop) which can transcode video so no issue with formats, but it video only.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 11:35

Slightly off topic, any recommendations for makes/models of NAS devices? Can they be formatted EXT3 so I can put a load of stuff recorded off the TV in HD? (filesize > 4 Gb)

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 11:42

I bought a Zytech, this one just after xmas fro under £100. 2Tb and has usb and esata ports.

Now everything in my house (Roberts wi-fi radio, Sony Blueray Player, desktop, laptop & my phone) can stream music, video and pics with ease and 2 seconds of set up. But so far my the two iPads my daughter have remain unconnected. I suppose I will have to get an apple TV box rolleyes

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 12:49

An Apple TV wont help. Its basically the same as an ipad and needs a iTunes library to read. Note that most (if not all) NAS devices which have "iTunes Servers" don't seem to work as they are not proper iTunes Servers.

for music it is probably best to enable the squeezecenter server and get a app which can use this service.

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 12:51

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Slightly off topic, any recommendations for makes/models of NAS devices? Can they be formatted EXT3 so I can put a load of stuff recorded off the TV in HD? (filesize > 4 Gb)

I will be selling both of my Synology NAS soon as I am replacing them with custom built servers. Let me know if you are interested.

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 12:59

Just another reason for me to dislike Apple. Shame as they were a lot more open 10yrs ago and my Apple Netwon was one of my favorite gadgets.

Kindle fire for me laugh
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Playing music that is on my NAS drive on an IPad - 10/01/2012 14:30

Going even more off-topic (sorry John, I'm not helping much, but thanks for the eBuyer link) I was given the Steve Jobs biography for Xmas, would not have bought it myself, overall I still don't like the way he did things and imposed his closed system hardware/software thing, and he killed off the Newton, but his one (only?) redeeming feature in my eyes is that he used to drive a Fiat 850 Spider with an Abarth engine cool (it caught fire, so not so cool).

Hyper - yes I would be interested, but they may be out of my price range (was only looking to spend £100-150 say)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK