Fiat Coupe Club UK

Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 15/10/2018 09:44

Having thought my season was finished, this event popped into my calendar. Basically an invitation race to garner interest in a potential series for next year.

Fabulous collection of Alfas with the most modern being a 75 but some lovely original GTAs and a Touring bodied 2600.

Horrible conditions on Sunday (Silverstone abandoned racing and we watched the Superbikes from Brands which was like a crash collection video). Qualifying was red-flagged after a crash in our race - I think I got about 4 laps in. Qualified 5th overall from 30.

The race was delayed. It transpired that this was because both race ambulances had to take injured drivers from the MX5 race to hospital leaving no medical coverage. Our race was shortened from 30 minutes to 15 - I wasn’t too upset though it represented an incredibly expensive race measured by the minute.

I’ll post a video but it was a fun race on a treacherous track - wet but not raining. I got up to 4th at the start but outbraked myself letting a Sud past on the long back straight. I then passed another Giulia before being passed myself by the beautiful wide-bodied GTA Junior that had qualified 2nd then outbraked himself into the first corner.

I finished 5th overall but took a class win behind an Alfetta GTV, a pair of Suds and the GTA Junior and having fended off another Alfetta.

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 04:30

Video https://youtu.be/7f5nYqmv5LE
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 05:01

Sounds like a challenge - and probably great fun! I'll watch the video when I get a minute...
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 07:25

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider

Wow that looks incredibly good fun

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 09:33

Originally Posted By BBR
Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider

Wow that looks incredibly good fun

It is unless this happens....

https://youtu.be/yz0PwXGJnMc
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 10:03

Ouch!
That looks like an expensive mishap shocked

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 16/10/2018 18:50

Originally Posted By Dazvr6
Ouch!
That looks like an expensive mishap shocked

Yup - especially as I think that was a GTA....!!
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge, Donington - 17/10/2018 20:26

Thanks for posting MRS - you had to be pretty brave to keep your foot down in those conditions. shocked
Tragic for the owner of 33 - hopefully he can get it repaired?
Well done on the class win!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK