Fiat Coupe Club UK

Forum Powah! What courtesy car?

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 07:02

As part of the next stage in developing our business, we will be looking to buy a courtesy car for our customers to use while we are working on their cars at our unit.

The criteria are as follows:

Budget - £2.5k max
We want something reliable, steady, not flashy and with a maximum engine size of 1.2, so that anyone over 18 will be insured to drive it. It needs to have a "quality" image and not intimidate customers. We would also prefer silver (to be consistent with the silver colour of our van). The car will be given "ChipsAway" livery.

This is possibly the first (and I hope only) time in my life where I have deliberately tried to buy the dullest car for the money!

Unsurprisingly, I've been looking at VAG products, but I wondered if anyone had any other ideas?
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 07:38

The Skoda Citigo is supposed to be a very good city car, Jim. You can pick them up within your budget but I can't find any for £2500 in silver.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252656138863

Failing that the Kia Piccanto could fall within budget. These come with a 7yr warranty from new so should have at least 2yrs warranty remaining as the came out in 2012.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604213204530?atmobcid=soc3

The Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroën C1 can be picked up cheaply nowadays.

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 14:20

Cheers, Dan. My Dad just bought a Citigo, so I should be able to check it out.

We thought about odd-ball choices like the Nissan Cube and Smart4Two, but I worry that they might intimidate non-petrolhead customers.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 14:29

I think the smart is a bit quirky and might irritate people. How much are the ForFours?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 17:39

Mrs Ed and I have been really impressed with a VAG cousin, the Seat Mii. Hers is the Mango edition.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 24/01/2017 18:46

Surely just a basic Vauxhall Astra/Corsa, Fiat Punto or Ford Fiesta would do the job?

Most people would just be happy they have a courtesy car to use for a couple of days while theirs is off the road (well, I would be anyway).

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 25/01/2017 19:36

You're probably right, T, I might be overthinking it!

In theory, the customers will only ever be without their car for a few hours as repairs are same-day. The courtesy car actually fulfils a dual role - not only is it convenient for the customer, it gets us to their car so we can pick it up.

I've broadened the search somewhat; also looking at... Fiats!
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 25/01/2017 20:53

You'd be best with something that costs pennies to tax and run about in - thinking

Peugeot 107/Citreon C1/Toyota Aygo (but the Toyota carries a daft premium over the Frenchies!). £20 a year tax remember.

Suzuki Alto, albeit very basic, but bloody bullet proof and cheap tax bracket.

New shape Pandas 2012- are now almost in that budget.

I get no real issues with any of the above.

VAG cars are far more service item hungry.

Don't buy a small Kia. So poorly built, yes you get a 7 year warranty, but it doesn't cover brake calipers (and these fail alarmingly often!). It'll be constantly in the garage whoever's paying for it.

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 25/01/2017 22:40

Thanks for the advice, Dan, I did wonder about the 107.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 10:18

I would say that for your ease it should be Petrol. It's all too easy to put unleaded in a Diesel, but not easy to get diesel into a petrol due to the smaller filler.

I would also suggest that it should be Automatic. There are a lot of people who only have an automatic licence and I would guess that your job may bring you into contact with these folks.

So.... ideas...

A Mini....

A Fiesta....

A Focus?

A Grande Punto?

There is also the Fusion, Panda, Nissan Note or an older larger car.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 12:08

Originally Posted By: Barmybob
It's all too easy to put unleaded in a Diesel, but not easy to get diesel into a petrol due to the smaller filler

Oh I don't know, my wife has managed to do both (diesel car filled with petrol twice, petrol car filled with diesel once) rolleyes

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 16:21

Thanks BRob!

We are definitely looking at petrol, not diesel. There won't be any benefits to a diesel for the use the car will have.

I may be wrong, but I think automatic will put off more people than it attracts. The only automatics I've repaired have been high end cars where the customer has other vehicle options and wouldn't need a courtesy car. But a point worth considering.

In order to enable younger drivers (in particular stepson) to be insured on our trade policy, the vehicle must be 1.2-litre or under, ruling out the New Mini. I fear a classic Mini might be a little long in the tooth, although it would be brilliant in every other way! Except possibly reliability...
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 17:39

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

I may be wrong, but I think automatic will put off more people than it attracts. The only automatics I've repaired have been high end cars where the customer has other vehicle options and wouldn't need a courtesy car. But a point worth considering.

I wouldn't have thought that someone using a courtesy car for a day or so would be that bothered whether it has an autobox or not.
I'm guessing that you will aim to complete any repairs within the same day anyway.

But, as Bob suggests, those most likely to need small dents and scrapes removed may not have manual licences, in which case a manual courtesy car would not be a lot of use.

Something reliable and cheap for you to run which all your customers can drive seems to be the main consideration

I doubt if many customers will be petrolheads.

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 18:50

In theory, all our repairs are same-day. If any are not, we'll have to see what the customer wants to do.
According to my fellow franchisees, the courtesy car is very seldom used as such, being essentially a device to allow us to pick up the customer's car without involving a 3rd party.

So far, I haven't come across any customers without a manual licence, but - going by my own family and friends - I do know people who are apprehensive about automatics. As far as I know none of the other ChipsAway franchisees use autos. Nonetheless, I might go down that route on the off-chance.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 26/01/2017 19:14

I'll be bringing you my coupe, Jim, so I'd like another of those please smile

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 27/01/2017 06:39

Certainly, Neil. Any colour you like, as long as it's metallic red. And you might need to de-SORN it!
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 27/01/2017 13:14

Ideal would be something that transcends class - not easy in this day and age when image seems so important. The original Mini was such a car though. I would be happy with a small car that was not cramped and not too old - maybe a Panda ...

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 28/01/2017 18:35

Originally Posted By: neil_r
Ideal would be something that transcends class - not easy in this day and age when image seems so important. The original Mini was such a car though. I would be happy with a small car that was not cramped and not too old - maybe a Panda ...

This was my thinking, Neil, which led me in the direction of the VW contenders, as to me they have a (general public in the UK) image of reliability and classless quality.
However, I think Theresa was right in saying I could be over thinking the whole thing...
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 31/01/2017 09:59

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
[quote=neil_r]I think Theresa was right in saying I could be over thinking the whole thing...

Car people probably do analyse these things too much. Most important is that it looks clean, straight and safe. No basic town car will please everybody.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 02/02/2017 19:54

Fiat Panda or Seat Ibiza would be my suggestion Jim, or maybe a Skoda Fabia.

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 11/03/2017 16:42

Today we bought the next vehicle in the ChipsAway fleet!

Slightly over budget at £2999, but only 40K on the clock, FSH (mainly Fiat), cambelt done 18 months ago, very clean and seemingly not bad value compared with other similarly-priced cars.

Thanks as always to all FCCUK brains trust members above.

Here she is:

click to enlarge
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 11/03/2017 16:51

Those Bravo's are daft cheap now. I've been tempted by a T-Jet Sport as a runaround. Nice one Jim.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 11/03/2017 19:58

Bloody hell, that's a fifth of my mileage, same vintage. From the wheels, that's the 1.9 diesel 150 dynamic?

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 12/03/2017 06:33

Looks very clean and tidy, Jim.

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 12/03/2017 07:00

It's the 1.4 T-Jet Dynamic 120bhp petrol, Neil. It is pretty tidy, but still needs a little love. It's only done about 2k miles per year for the last 4 years, so I think it's spent some time standing around...

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 12/03/2017 07:53

I've done more than that most years on my bicycle!
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Forum Powah! What courtesy car? - 12/03/2017 13:23

SWMBO has a Bravo 150 t-Jet and I cant sing its praises high enough. They are very practical, comfortable and spritely too.
Great choice!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK