Fiat Coupe Club UK

My new Italian Coupe

Posted By: andyps

My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 12:52

I've bought another red Italian two door coupe, straying from Fiat this time though
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

The body is great but it has been off the road for over 20 years so needs recommissioning for the brakes and cooling system at least.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 13:09

Very nice, not too many of those about nowadays.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 13:12

Nice purchase Andy, looks like rain so get it back in the dry wink
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 13:19

Lovely

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 13:28

It is tucked away in a garage I'm renting until I make some space at home for it.

Been looking for one for a while as there aren't many for sale in the UK, quite a few in Europe but they seem a little more expensive there and the Italians often didn't respond to messages sent via the advert sites.

Really looking forward to my first drive!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 17:10

ok, ignorant person alert.. What is it?! (edit - don't say Lancia!!)
Posted By: barnacle

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 19:29

Lancia Fulvia Zagato?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 19:37

Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1.3S
Posted By: avtokrator

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 19:59

Oh...those sound�� The gentleman who sold me my first coupe had one in blue, and at his age the only authentic motor-related joy for him was sitting in it for couple of hours and revving or just listening the sound at tickover. Very nice find ��
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 21:25

Wow. Awesome shape and style. Very jealous
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 18/04/2016 21:31

Very nice. One of my customers has a bluey-green one that he runs most days.
Yours looks in much better condition than his.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 01:36

Very nice cool

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 10:31

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1.3S

Spot on - a Series 2, to be even more precise.

I haven't had chance to fully look it over but it does appear to be in very good condition bodily which is why I chose this one. There was another for sale at the same price which had an MOT but was in need of a lot of body repairs. My thought was that it is easier to sort mechanicals than bodywork - I'm OK with a welder but am not a panel beater so matching the outer shape of the car without a lot of filler would be difficult for me, or expensive to have done.

Just looking forward to having the time to get it on the road - a few other jobs to do first unfortunately.

Thanks for the positive comments.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 10:58

Yes I couldn't work out if it was S1 or S2, what is the difference? Do you have the rear bumpers?

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 11:10

They were always a great looking car ..I nearly bought one once...a very long time ago , but I was into more power then ..bought a mk1 3ltr Capri instead ...but they were always a but delicate with the all aluminium body so I reckon a decent body is an easier restore ...

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 12:20

I do have the rear bumpers, they came with it but will need rechroming as there is some rust on them. I will fit them, mainly as any bump to the rear would be pretty drastic without them.

The first cars were an all aluminium body built on the Fulvia Coupe steel floorpan. The next batch which were also Series 1 had steel bodies with alloy bonnet and doors, with the side opening bonnet and a hatch on the back to access the spare wheen. All the series 1 cars had a four speed gearbox.

The series 2 moved to an all steel construction and a five speed box. However, the first series 2 cars were built with the series 1 body so have the five speed box but alloy panels - I really wanted one of these series 1.5 cars but there were only 600 built and the two that have been for sale recently were beyond my budget, particularly as one of them was in Southern Italy so transport would have been pricey. I almost bought an early all alloy one from California but the seller messed me around a bit and I lost trust in him - it was a big commitment to buy a car from a private seller completely unseen so I passed on that one.

There is a great video on Jay Leno's Garage YouTube about the Zagato - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKxEcQ3r7k - but it isn't all factually correct, particularly the power quoted!

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 12:36

very cool car. Congrats.

So, he says it makes 115bhp from its 1.3 which back then would have been quite an achievement. What does it actually produce?

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 12:57

90hp for the later 1.3. The 1.6 was the 115hp version but not sure how much Italian exaggeration there is in those figures wink
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 21:41

That's a bit gorgeous. Have fun!
Posted By: Gripped

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 19/04/2016 22:09

Great video. Love the attention to detail those Lancia engineers had.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: My new Italian Coupe - 20/04/2016 06:51

Originally Posted By: andyps
90hp for the later 1.3. The 1.6 was the 115hp version but not sure how much Italian exaggeration there is in those figures wink

Even those (claimed) figures are very good when you consider the most powerful Alfa Sud was 105bhp for the 1.5 QV. The Alfa Giulia was putting out around 65bhp for the 1.3 (actually, not too different from the modern Fiat 500 1.2)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK