Fiat Coupe Club UK

Mercedes CLS

Posted By: Anonymous

Mercedes CLS - 15/09/2012 23:06

Anyone know anything about these, be it petrol or diesel.

Mercedes CLS

Thank you

Posted By: Cyclone

Re: Mercedes CLS - 15/09/2012 23:41

Your best bet is to pop over to MBClub.co.uk or similar as there is plenty of info and owners on there.

I have a CLS55 AMG and love it.

The only thing that gets bounced about to watch out for is the airmatic suspension which I think disappeared on 2006 models onwards. There have been issues ref the 7 speed box but not sure how serious this is if at all.

Overall the CLS regardless of engine is a very handsome car with great road presence. They do feel big and heavy and this reflects in the handling, however it's far from being bad. Interior wise there are some great options to be had, fortunately the AMG has most of them, but distronic comes in handy, air cooled / dynamic / massage seats are nice, the designo black finish is nicer than the wood finish (the worst being the dull light wood finish in many of the CLS's), keyless entry and start is a positive, but the are many more. However as standard the cars are already good.

Engine wise it depends on if economy is important, if so then go for the 320cdi. If not then the 350 petrol is a fine smooth engine, the 500 is a big step on in refinement and speed with the later 500 pushing close to 400bhp, the earlier models pre 2008ish 306bhp. Then there's the 55AMG, it's a bloody beast in standard format and a monster once tweaked.....

Jules.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Mercedes CLS - 17/09/2012 16:52

That looks like stonking value. The 320 CDI engine is fantastic (I have the E320 CDI Sport Estate) - soooo much grunt and returns mid-30's even when pushed. 7 speed box is great. I've long considered one of these. Nigel was consiering one too - not sure where he got to on it. Engine has chain-driven cams too so no worries there. It's also close to 7 years old when Merc drop their servicing prices.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Mercedes CLS - 17/09/2012 19:23

It looked nice until pic 5, what is it with yuk red interiors, I just don't get it?

Re: Mercedes CLS - 18/09/2012 21:28

Must be an age thing - unless you are 55+ Mercs always seem a bit brown cardigan... (Brabus, black and AMG are excluded as they are bonkers, yet seem to be produced because Audi and BMW do fast cars, not very Mercedes. But that could be a stereo type from my younger youth)

Re: Mercedes CLS - 19/09/2012 06:11

Originally Posted By: DaveG
It looked nice until pic 5, what is it with yuk red interiors, I just don't get it?

Same here. Someone could hurl in the back seat and you'd never notice!

Re: Mercedes CLS - 19/09/2012 09:01

Looks good to me - though would prefer black paint. Nowt wrong with Red leather yes
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Mercedes CLS - 19/09/2012 10:14

Nice looking car smile

Re: Mercedes CLS - 19/09/2012 16:40

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
Must be an age thing - unless you are 55+ Mercs always seem a bit brown cardigan... (Brabus, black and AMG are excluded as they are bonkers, yet seem to be produced because Audi and BMW do fast cars, not very Mercedes. But that could be a stereo type from my younger youth)

There speaks a man who hasn't driven a modern Merc is my guess wink Remember Mercedes have been racing as long as (if not longer) than most. And if you exclude AMG then you need to exclude the M-series and RS-series cars from BMW & Audi. BMW are probably the Johnny Come Latelys and Audi (Auto Union as was) lost their way for a very long time and produce a lot of very very dull cars even now

Re: Mercedes CLS - 20/09/2012 17:37

Thanks guys,

joined the MB club, 55AMG sounds like a beast Jules

MRS I totally agree with you about the merc, right enough I onced owned a volvo s80 , now that is an old mans car if ever there was one.

Only problem is that I would probably have to get rid of the coupe, I have a 4 door saloon which would go no bother. I never bloody use the coupe but it just pulls at my heartstrings frown

I'll take on board what's been said and mull it over.

Thanks smile

Re: Mercedes CLS - 21/09/2012 17:29

MRS - I own a modern Merc, my father-in-law has also has and has had modern Mercs (new(ish) c class, 200, 230 and now c220 cdi) and my uncle had the C AMG for a few years.

Merc lost their way from late 90's to mid 00's - rust, bad trim and general non Merc-ness in many cases. Glad they have recovered since!

On the BMW / Audi point - I'd have a Merc over either of those, mainly because of the cocks that seem to drive them!

Re: Mercedes CLS - 22/09/2012 12:00

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Cyclone04/DSCF9768.jpg[/IMG]
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Mercedes CLS - 22/09/2012 14:23

Pimp your ride!

Re: Mercedes CLS - 22/09/2012 18:07

It's only the wheels and I'll probably have them returned to silver.

Re: Mercedes CLS - 22/09/2012 20:27

Originally Posted By: Jamiepm
Pimp your ride!

what makes you come to that conclusion Jamiepm ?

I thought "pimp my ride" was about adding non standard items and too style excessively.

Black wheels don't come under that criteria.

Re: Mercedes CLS - 22/09/2012 20:52

Went to see two today, hmmmmmmmmm

Re: Mercedes CLS - 26/09/2012 15:56

Just because I know cyclone well,which prompted his return to silver response
wink

Re: Mercedes CLS - 27/09/2012 15:32

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
MRS - I own a modern Merc, my father-in-law has also has and has had modern Mercs (new(ish) c class, 200, 230 and now c220 cdi) and my uncle had the C AMG for a few years.

Merc lost their way from late 90's to mid 00's - rust, bad trim and general non Merc-ness in many cases. Glad they have recovered since!

On the BMW / Audi point - I'd have a Merc over either of those, mainly because of the cocks that seem to drive them!

Kinda lost at your point then wink

I used to think Porsches were old-man's cars - mostly because it was older guys driving them - mostly because they're the people that can afford them.

Totally agree on your BMW/Audi point. Agree too about Merc quality control (having owned two Mercs & a Smart from that era) though they've recovered well: my 08 E-Class has been almost totally fault-free - my only gripe being the Sat Nav occasionally being slightly wayward and still not having my road in it despite me having lived in the house for 7 years (and the map updated this year). The Comand system, in general, is a connectivity & useability tour-de-force.

Re: Mercedes CLS - 27/09/2012 23:53

Yes I did - it was an observation but I still think Mercs are a bit soft.

Glad you agree on the rest > it's not just me who hates those drivers!

Re: Mercedes CLS - 29/09/2012 22:54

Originally Posted By: Jamiepm
Just because I know cyclone well,which prompted his return to silver response
wink

My bad, smile

Re: Mercedes CLS - 30/09/2012 00:39

wink
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK