Fiat Coupe Club UK

Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity

Posted By: Anonymous

Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/03/2012 13:34

Hi guys,

I have looked at This Page but I don't find it particularly helpful, so I wonder whether anyone here has had experience of this?
I have a Cinquecento (1108cc) into which I have installed a 1368cc 16v Stilo engine. I bought the engine a few years ago and don't have a receipt, and I carried out the change myself. I'm not sure what sort of evidence or inspection I would need to provide in order to notify the DVLA of the change. Can anyone offer any useful advice or experience please?

Thanks,

James
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/03/2012 14:04

OT, I would love to see some photos and info on this James.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/03/2012 14:42

I did it many years ago, it was a simple process, but for the life of me I can't remember which form I filled in and posted off.

Check on the V5, there maybe something on there?
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/03/2012 14:46

Section 7 on the V5 James, just enter new engine number and cc and send off and job done smile

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/03/2012 15:44

Thanks guys, I'll check the V5 to see what it says.

Sam - It's still a work in progress, but I might make a post about it here and/or on the FiatForum once it's finished (hopefully soon). Might put a teaser pic or two here later.

James

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 03/03/2012 21:45

Friend of mine is going through this experience just now, and has been since November. It seems your typical government nonsense, round and round in circles.

He's having to provide photographic evidence of the new engine number, and certification from the garage that carried out the work (which has since gone out of business, could be interesting). None of this can be done electronically, everything goes back and forth as letters.

All so he can pay them more money for road tax.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 03/03/2012 22:06

Had this problem with the kit; we couldn't read the number on the block, but Joe was able to find the original V5 from the donor which persuaded them.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 03/03/2012 22:08

Changed my 106 Rallye's revvy little 1.3 8v (100BHP) to a gruntier 1.6 16v (120BHP). All I did was send off the V5 with the new engine's cc capacity and paid extra for tax. Informed my insurance company and I only paid a few £ extra. it was really easy for me.

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 04/03/2012 19:56

I've filled in Section 7 of the V5 with the new engine number and capacity and will send it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't prove any more difficult than that...

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'll report on the outcome when it happens.

James

Oh, and teasers as promised. Various stages along the way so far:
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 04/03/2012 20:01

Looking good. thumb
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 04/03/2012 20:06

Cool! cool I bet that flies
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 04/03/2012 22:07

Nice one James, looking forward to the write up. Would love to know how you addressed the engen management side as I know the 1.4 is fly by wire....well I think..

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 03/05/2012 16:47

Update: DVLA sent back the V5 without making changes. They are requesting some form of proof of the engine number, of the kind listed in the link I posted at the top.

rolleyes

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 01/08/2012 19:03

After some delay from not really knowing how to go about getting evidence of the engine number and capacity etc, I asked Joe (CC) to inspect the car and write a letter confirming the details. He very kindly obliged and I sent it off with the V5. The new V5 came in the post today and I'm pleased to say that it shows the updated engine number, new capacity and reduction in seating to 2 smile Yay!

James
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 01/08/2012 19:05

That's good to hear James, just need to sort your top mounts now thumb
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/08/2012 00:08

[quote=Countrycruising]That's good to hear James, just need to sort your top mounts now :thumb: [/quote]

And then book Barry in for Combe :thumb:

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/08/2012 08:47

Originally Posted By: MiniMetaller
it shows the updated engine number, new capacity and reduction in seating to 2 smile Yay!

Is it rear engined now or have you just done away with the rear seats/got buckets etc..? (Sorry can't view the pics from work)

Re: Notifying DVLA of a change of engine/capacity - 02/08/2012 12:33

It's still front engined. I've removed the rear seats and filled the space with roll cage. Buckets up front too.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK