Fiat Coupe Club UK

Just a thought on legal cover.

Posted By: OO7

Just a thought on legal cover. - 18/11/2008 03:49

I was thinking the other day about the extra legal cover most of us take out when we renew our insurance and is it really necessary?

Back in the day we all took this out to cover our backs. The thing is now you can get no win no fee legal help. So is it still worth the extra £30+ on our cover and are insurance companys just taking the piss asking for the extra money?
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 18/11/2008 13:42

Typically the no-win/no-fees boys only cover personal injury claims, so they are probably not interested in any part of a legal battle that's related to vehicle damage.

They also rely on taking cases with a good chance of success, so if it's at all marginal then you might have a time convincing them to represent you.

They're also not experts in motoring law, unlike somebody appointed by your insurance company, so even if they do represent you, you may not be getting the best legal advice possible.

As will all things, you pays your money ...
Posted By: phil_20VT

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 19/11/2008 13:10

If an accident is your fault you have no chance without this.
I always thought the same as you until i was unfortunate enough to have a claim made against me both for damage to a car and a personal injury.
Posted By: OO7

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 19/11/2008 17:26

Oh well, it was just a thought. (I should know better than to have them )

Cheers.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 21/11/2008 21:14

you ask me it should be bloody included for free, its essentially paying them for a job twice.

but please....dont get me started on the insurance sope box
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 22/11/2008 10:05

LEGAL COVER is ULR unninsured loss recovery.
Any unninsured losses incured in the event of a non fault claim can be recovered through this
so it depends on who you are and your situation if its worth taking out...
You can claim loss of earnings if you miss work or overnight accomadation etc aswell as its other features eg trying to get excess back from 3rd party etc.
Id recommend it, i always buy it myself and i wouldnt rip myself off.
Also if your paying £300+ insuring your coupe and putting on direct debit, legal will only cost a coupe quid a month.
Posted By: dbriglee

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 23/11/2008 10:12

a story for you boys.. I had 3rd party on my last car. The idiot behind me decided to overtake me as i was in the process of turning right.
I wasnt really bothered about my car (battered punto) but was more my no claims i was worried about.
No witnesses and he said something different and different location, so according to insurers we both would lose 2 years no claims and it would be 50/50 fault.

I was not having this! Argued the toss for ages and sent letters with pics of crash too (always keep a disposable in the glove box!)

Anyway! The only reason i could dsipute it was through the legal protection side of it. Eventually proved my case and got 1400 quid (car was cosmetic write off), could still drive the car (needed new mot legally), and kept my no claims.

Defo get legal protection!!!! especially 3rd party
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 23/11/2008 11:05

^^^^^ yes totally agree with above only thing is i would always go fully comp...had a nasty experience years ago & had 3rd party...not my fault etc, but what a fannying about i had. fully comp all the way...

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 23/11/2008 13:01

Originally Posted By: dbriglee
a story for you boys.. I had 3rd party on my last car. The idiot behind me decided to overtake me as i was in the process of turning right.
I wasnt really bothered about my car (battered punto) but was more my no claims i was worried about.
No witnesses and he said something different and different location, so according to insurers we both would lose 2 years no claims and it would be 50/50 fault.

I was not having this! Argued the toss for ages and sent letters with pics of crash too (always keep a disposable in the glove box!)

Anyway! The only reason i could dsipute it was through the legal protection side of it. Eventually proved my case and got 1400 quid (car was cosmetic write off), could still drive the car (needed new mot legally), and kept my no claims.

Defo get legal protection!!!! especially 3rd party

v good point if your tpft legal is even more important, as you wont be dealing with your own insurers if its not your fault, its not worth saving £20 always take legal if you ask me.

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 10/01/2009 10:14

The lagal cover is good, as mentioned, ununsured loss recovery, but just so you know, the majority of them will still only take the case if they can win it, they are not garunteed to try for you.

If you say you want it but are unsure of the cost most of the time you will get it for free, they have targets to meet and that includes legal protection

Re: Just a thought on legal cover. - 12/01/2009 19:00

yeah obviously if you ran into the back of someone and are trying to claim your exess back they wont waste your or there time
but if your tpft and have been ran into and its a non fault claim its much easier and less hassle letting your legal cover recover your exess than chasing the 3rd party yourself
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK