Fiat Coupe Club UK

Am I insured...

Posted By: Anonymous

Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:30

if I buy a 2nd car tonight and drive it home if I have fully comp on my coupe? After all, I have the owner's permission as that's me! Or does the car need it's own insurance policy before anyone is insured to drive it? Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: JimO

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:32

I don't think so as not only do you need the owners permission but doesn't the car have to be insured as well which yours won't be but i am not 100% about this and am prepared to be proved wrong

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:35

I guess it would still be insured by the current owner even if technically by then he wouldn't own it anymore??
Posted By: stan

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:36

Highly unlikely, although without reading the exact terms of your insurance it is impossible to say for certain. You *may* find that you are covered to drive other vehicles which you do not own, third party cover only, but a lot of companies have removed that cover recently as it was being abused.

Remember that the golden rule here is, despite what the AA tell you in the adverts, it's the car that needs the cover, not you.
Posted By: stan

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:37

Telephone your insurance company and find out what time they close at. A lot stay open late in the call centres.

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:37

Yeah, but if he doesn't own it, then would his insurance still be valid.

IMO just drive really fast so the police don't see you, maybe pick it up at night and leave the lights off or something like that ;\)

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:38

It's a cinquecento so maybe I can put it in the boot \:D

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 21:39

\:D There you go problem solved
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Am I insured... - 16/05/2007 22:48

get a quote from norwich union,i think they still give 7 day free fully comp insurance on the car you buy

Re: Am I insured... - 17/05/2007 05:26

If you buy the car, then you are the owner. You are generally covered for your own car and 3rd party on "someone elses" car 3rd party if you have thier concent.

As you own the car now then I would say you are not covered by any existing policy and need to make additional provisions.

Re: Am I insured... - 17/05/2007 13:19

I agree with Dwayne, you won't be covered as you have just bought the car.

The third party extension only covers cars not owned by you and there has to be a valid insurance policy already on the car. It's that last bit that's been tidied up recently to try and stop the council estate pool car scams.
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: Am I insured... - 17/05/2007 14:16

My current insurance policies give 3rd party cover for vehicles not owned by me providing I have the owner's permission to drive/ride, etc. and don't mention that the car must be insured under its own policy.

There was legislation planned to make it compulsory for all privately owned vehicles to have a specific policy insuring them, but I haven't heard anything about it for ages.

Re: Am I insured... - 17/05/2007 21:00

As Stan noted - my fully comp RAC policy excludes the 3rd party cover element for vehicles you don't own.

A leaflet with the insurance explained that this 3rd party cover was only ever intended for emergency situations when you had to drive someone elses vehicle, but as people didn't understand it and it was in some instances being abused, then it was no longer part of the policy.

Re: Am I insured... - 17/05/2007 21:19

No, you are not insured.

IF your company gives cover for driving other cars, you are only covered to drive vehicles that you do not own.

Just because you have comprehensive cover, that does not mean that you have cover to drive other cars. By the same token, your own policy may only be third party fire and theft and the insurer may still give cover for driving other cars.

However, if you do not own the vehicle, there is no requirement for the vehicle to be insured elsewhere.

Best bet is to add the new vehicle to your policy for a few days or just arrange the annual policy when you get the car.

As I work for an insurance company, I probably shouldn't recommend just driving it uninsured, which is what I would probably do.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK