Fiat Coupe Club UK

Buying back a written off car??

Posted By: Anonymous

Buying back a written off car?? - 21/12/2006 23:27

Just got the forms from mine and as I expected, it's 'uneconomical' to repair.
I dont know yet if I want to buy it back, but there is an answer in the FAQ they send me that is concerning me,

"Can I buy the car back? - It is not our policy to allow this because the Government and the Association of British Insurers have issued guidelines to all insurance companies with specific instructions on what must be done with written off cars"

Can anyone tell me where I stand on this before I phone them? Seems odd to me as you can buy cat C and D cars quite easily from salvage yards. Like I said I don't know if this is what I want to do yet, has anyone got experience with this sort of thing?
Thanks

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 21/12/2006 23:51

Yes they can now decline.

They may Cat B that one, and thats the issue.

But its worth a try, although they will probably want 1k back for it.

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 21/12/2006 23:52

Will they???? bloody hell they arnt getting that from me

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 01:23

i wouldent have thought a coupe at cat c would be any more than £500-£800 at least?

thats a cat d any day of the week!!
ive bought cars from auction cat x with bonnets flipped on them!

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 01:53

Aren't Cat B, cars that are too dangerous to be put back on the road whatever the expense? I cant see it in that catergry

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 02:23

Quote:

Aren't Cat B, cars that are too dangerous to be put back on the road whatever the expense? I cant see it in that catergry

No its down to the repair cost v.s car value. Its all changed recently.

Cat b's are often too bad to repair, but has changed with EVLA regs.

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 02:25

Quote:

i wouldent have thought a coupe at cat c would be any more than £500-£800 at least?

thats a cat d any day of the week!!
ive bought cars from auction cat x with bonnets flipped on them!

Cat X as the insurer has disputed, they cannot sell un-recorded if they have paid out and written off, there's more to it in that instance.

The visable damage doesnt determine the category its the repair cost.

If that goes in with a 3k estimate its a C.

Why do you think a 3k punto can be a B or C just for a attempted theft? 1.2k worth of ecu work and thats it!

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 02:26

Ah ok thanks Carl, I think the best bet will be to get the highest settlement I can out of them, It might end up at your killing shed...

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 02:26

IJK's insurer wanted 25% back on a Cat C, that worked to £1250!!!

Cat D with them would be 40%
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 06:24

Quote:

"Can I buy the car back? - It is not our policy to allow this because the Government and the Association of British Insurers have issued guidelines to all insurance companies with specific instructions on what must be done with written off cars"

It's a guideline , not cast in stone by some stupid nanny state government.

Or not yet anyway.

Give them time.

Pete

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 22/12/2006 16:05

Mine old 20v was recently a cat c and I bought it back for £300 which was quite a good deal I thought
Posted By: JonH

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 24/12/2006 01:17

Is the insured loss value that they are giving you for the car at an acceptable value to you ?.
If they say 'we will give you 4K' and you rate the vehicle at 5K then you have every right to challenge their complete valuation.

In the ensuing correspondance you can imply that you would probably accept their valuation IF they chuck the car in as well.

It worked for my mate, albeit on a CatD lightly rear-ended Marea HLX, last year.

And dont phone them - written word only. Written words have to be processed and give you a better audit trail.
Just a thought, anyway

(if the car is already at a breakers or authorised garage awaiting confirmation of scrapping you will probably find its not stored in a safe area and bits have been taken off it already - if previous experiance is anything to go by anyway)

Re: Buying back a written off car?? - 24/12/2006 03:27

Thanks for your thoughts Jon, interesting.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK