Fiat Coupe Club UK

can you clarify for me

Posted By: Anonymous

can you clarify for me - 25/03/2006 21:23

Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a coupe though there are 2 concerns with it.

1 ) it doesn't come with any remote fobs. It's a 1998 S reg 20v turbo. Should it have 2 fobs?

2) When they lock the car it automatically unlocks a few seconds after it has locked.

What do you guys think?

Walk away?
Posted By: Tartandude

Re: can you clarify for me - 25/03/2006 21:29

Quote:

1 ) it doesn't come with any remote fobs. It's a 1998 S reg 20v turbo. Should it have 2 fobs?

Mine is 98 R 20VT , it came with 2 fobs but perhaps your owner just lost theirs? Not sure

Quote:

2) When they lock the car it automatically unlocks a few seconds after it has locked.

This is pretty normal if one of the doors isn't shut properly, are you sure the doors were all shut? If they were it could point to a more serious problem.

Re: can you clarify for me - 25/03/2006 21:31

Well I've been told they have no fobs at all. Seemed very confused when i mentioned it, they only have the 3 keys.

The doors are all shut apparently, the car is closed, they have just walked up and shut the door.

Re: can you clarify for me - 25/03/2006 21:31

the doors unlocking themselves can be solved easily by spraying wd40 in each of the locks for a few seconds. mine did the exact same thing until recently!

Re: can you clarify for me - 25/03/2006 21:33

Did both your doors unlock? Or just the door you locked?

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 00:02

Get them to knock a couple of hundred off the price and get a brand spanking new alarm fitted...will be much more reliable than the factory one and you'll get at least 2 fobs

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:03

Cheers,

Vickster, how will the 3 keys work with the new alarm, etc?
Posted By: mattB

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:04

The keys wont work with the alarm. It will work with the fobs you get with it.

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:06

but will the keys still work, i.e red, blue etc.

You will still be able to lock the car and set the alarm with the keys won't you?

Where would you recommend for alarms?

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:08

The keys will work, they are just to lock/unlock the car and to deactivate the immobiliser.
The alarm is a seperate system.
Posted By: mattB

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:09

The keys will still work, but you will need the fob to deactivate the alarm (when you fit a new one).

The keys dont deactivate the standard alarm, this works off of the fobs. But they do disarm the standard imobiliser (CODE system). I'm fairly sure that even with an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser that you will still keep the standard one too.

As for recommendations, look in the yellow pages i guess.

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:10

ok, so if i took the car as it is and fixed the confusion with the doors and locked it with the keys. The car would be locked, but the alarm wouldn't be armed?

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:11

Yes, it would be locked and immobilised, but not alarmed.

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:16

Toad and Cobra are reckoned to be pretty good alarms (can personally vouch for the latter)...Just ask at a local alarm place...I think you'll keep the same immobiliser just have a different alarm ... this what I did with an old punto

Something like this ...

http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/default.asp?docId=12401

The fobs operate the central locking ... can the current alarm just not be removed, it evidently doesn't work anyhow if there are no fobs (mine is like this)

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:24

Well I've not bought the car yet, i'm making my mind up whether it's worth a 520 mile round trip to see and get it. I just need to clarify if there are fobs. If not then i'll get some money knocked off.

If the doors not staying locked is easily fixed then i'll get some money off for that too and take the car. It's parked in a secure car park at work.

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 03:41

Has an experienced owner checked it out for you?

Re: can you clarify for me - 26/03/2006 12:45

Mark on here, went to have a look but the garage was closed at the time. He could check the car but not the papework, etc.

The car is based in southampton
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK