Fiat Coupe Club UK

definitive corrosion hotspot check guide

Posted By: jonnyboy54321

definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 05:51

Chaps - have done a bit of searching about. Do we have a defined guide of where is good to look for corrosion and how it will manifest itself (with pics)?
I'm not talking about the obvious stuff (hat if you can't spot it you aren't capable of looking!!), but more rarities/idiosyncracies to the Coupe - seems like rust is the single most important factor in viability/non viability - viability being a hot topic at mo!

Thoughts? Anyone? Or have I just missed it somewhere?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 06:02

Working from the back for the underside:

Rear inner arch to boot floor.
Spare wheel well.
Rear eiffel towers.
Rear chassis rails above subframe mount areas.
Rear chassis rail to floor pan join.
Rear jacking points.
Floor pans, especially where the cable dowels fix.
Front jacking points and inner sill join areas.
Front inner arches behind the liners.
Front lower suspension turret plate.
Front suspension top mount turret plate.
Front eiffel towers, bases and top panels.
Under side of front cross member.

Top side:

Void under front scuttle panel below wiper mechanism.
Front suspension top turret drain points.
Door seal to kick plate area.
Rear quarter panels below Pininfarina badges.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 06:06

Bonnet insides above wheel area, to left and right. Bubbling usually appears.

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 06:09

Eiffel towers? Do we class that as front struts? Not a phrase I've heard before till I came over to the Fiat dark side, and I've done around 300 motors!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 06:32

Originally Posted By jonnyboy54321
Eiffel towers? Do we class that as front struts?

No - there are four vertical structures that secure the corners of the front and rear bumpers and also the front undertray. They are flimsy and rust easily.

Also check closely the floorpan recess just forward of the rear offside wheel. There's a plastic cover for the fuel filter assembly and moisture can get trapped behind the cover. By the time you see rust here, its already got a hold

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 06:54

Front and rear eiffel towers.

click to enlarge

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 07:10

That'll be these then ........

pics

(I know about oil cooler pipes!!)

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 19/09/2017 07:46

Yep, that's the fronts.
Posted By: shaun47

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 21/09/2017 17:50

Originally Posted By Countrycruising
Front and rear eiffel towers.

click to enlarge

Do you have more of these? For sale?
Posted By: Skiday

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 14/10/2018 21:46

Currently I have everything off the underside at the moment and am tackling the rust. Most of it is surface rust, but some of it is very difficult to get to. Here is a picture taken today where I have ground away the stone chip to get to the rust. Trouble is, before I washed off 18 years worth of dirt you couldn't see any rust. Even then you only see small pinpricks of rust, but lurking underneath is always a much larger patch. The worst parts are, as you can see in this pic, the areas just ahead of the rear wheel arches.

click to enlarge

And also the seam behind the plastic wheel arch protectors where the boot floor meets the wheel arch;

click to enlarge

It looks bad but, but before I cleaned off the underside and took out the wheel arch protectors you would have said it was quite good under there!

Andrew
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: definitive corrosion hotspot check guide - 14/10/2018 22:07

Originally Posted By Skiday
Currently I have everything off the underside at the moment and am tackling the rust. Most of it is surface rust, but some of it is very difficult to get to. Here is a picture taken today where I have ground away the stone chip to get to the rust. Trouble is, before I washed off 18 years worth of dirt you couldn't see any rust. Even then you only see small pinpricks of rust, but lurking underneath is always a much larger patch. The worst parts are, as you can see in this pic, the areas just ahead of the rear wheel arches.

click to enlarge

And also the seam behind the plastic wheel arch protectors where the boot floor meets the wheel arch;

click to enlarge

It looks bad but, but before I cleaned off the underside and took out the wheel arch protectors you would have said it was quite good under there!

Andrew

This sounds a fascinating mission Andrew, why don't you start a thread in the Project section? Remember only you contribute to that yourself, start another Discussion thread for others to comment smile

And yes - bang on the head for those two places!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK