Fiat Coupe Club UK

Basic questions about changing my Clarion - Help!

Posted By: Anonymous

Basic questions about changing my Clarion - Help! - 12/05/2006 13:38

Folks,

Some basic help needed please!

I'm sure this information is already posted somewhere, but I want to replace my original Clarion radio/casette unit with a Blaupunkt Woostock DAB54.

I know nothing about ICE, I've never installed or changed a head unit before in any car, so the questions are:

- will the speakers in the Coupe cope OK?
- how do I get the old unit out?
- any problems with connectors etc?
- should I leave this job to the experts?
- any other advice / models?

Many thanks,

Toggy

Re: Basic questions about changing my Clarion - Help! - 12/05/2006 13:56

Quote:

- will the speakers in the Coupe cope OK?

That HU produces 26W RMS, so I would guess that they'll be OK unless you're using an amplifier. Obviously you could fit better speakers and get better sound.

Quote:

- how do I get the old unit out?

You should have two metal "keys" that slide down the sides of the cage to release the HU. There are other ways - try a search.

Quote:

- any problems with connectors etc?

The Clarion uses two 8 pin ISO connectors - see here. I don't know what connector(s) the new HU has. A wiring adapter may be available if required, or you can rewire to new plugs.

Quote:

- should I leave this job to the experts?

If you're happy making electrical connections, then it should be trivial once you have the old HU removed. There is one proviso - the original wiring has the "ignition switched live" feed on the ISO plug always on ! You may find that your new HU works with this, or it may drain your battery. I swapped mine with the switched live to the cigarette lighter (which is better always on IMO).
Posted By: bridges

Re: Basic questions about changing my Clarion - He - 12/05/2006 14:45

As Rog says.
This universal loom connector is the same as the Blaupunkt one if my memory is correct so will plug straight in to the back of the HU without needing any adaptor.

Re: Basic questions about changing my Clarion - He - 12/05/2006 23:48

Yes, your new unit will be plug and play.
Posted By: phil_20VT

Re: Basic questions about changing my Clarion - He - 13/05/2006 01:27

You dont have a disc changer do you?
I found when i changed my head unit the disc changer wasnt compatible.
You have to keep the brands the same between the head unit and the changer basically.

Re: Basic questions about changing my Clarion - He - 13/05/2006 03:55

No, no disc changer, so no issues there.

Got some Clarion metal head removers today from Halfords (£3.99), so gonna try and get the unit out tomorrow.

As an aside, when the radio is on MW, there is a huge amount of interference from the cooling fan, accelerator etc, but on FM, no problem at all.

I'm hoping this problem won't also occur with a £300 DAB Blaupunkt. Is this a problem with the car/wiring etc? or just a cheap Clarion radio/cassette??
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK