Fiat Coupe Club UK

Upgrading the Coupe's speakers

Posted By: Anonymous

Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 06/05/2006 05:42

Haven't bought a Coupe yet, still looking. Planning ahead my ICE. Help me please!

What are the positions and dimensions of the standard woofers and tweeters?

And ... if I buy components, are there any on the market whose tweeters fit into the current tweeter locations?

And where's the best place to put the crossovers in a Coupe?

Finally, is it easy to locate somewhere to feed the power cable from the battery, through the bulkhead? (a grommit or something)?

cheers
Posted By: bockers

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 06/05/2006 15:06

Front speakers are 16.5cm IIRC. Best to fit a good component system. The tweaters are easy to replce too. Just remove the end panels and they pop out, great place to store the crossovers too. If you are serious about getting this right you will also need to re-wire the speakers to get the cossover sorted properly.

I bought infinity components and they fitted very easily, need a bit of simple cutting for the speakers.See here Tweaterclicky for a great intsll.

John

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 06/05/2006 15:59

Quote:

you will also need to re-wire the speakers to get the cossover sorted properly..

i'm so sorry, but could you please explain what this means?

Quote:

I bought infinity components and they fitted very easily, need a bit of simple cutting for the speakers

I'm a big fan of Infinity, so i'm glad to hear you say this.

Could you please tell me which model you bought, and also what you installed in the rear speakers position?

Many thanks for your help!

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 06/05/2006 20:19

I installed Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 in the front. This requires some trimming of the door card. The tweeter install is detailed here.

Any new component speekers will come with cross-over units (there are none as standard, just a capacitor on the original tweeters). You'll need to rewire to be able to use these.

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 06/05/2006 20:26

hi Roger,

would you please be kind enought to show me a pic of your install (the front door cards I mean).

I'm a bit worried as desperately wamt the same components you're talking about, but don't know if I have the ability to alter the door cards ... ?

Also, when you say re-wiring, do you mean ignoring the existing speaker wiring, and running new wires from the crossover to the tweeters, and from the crossover to the woofer, and from the crossover to the amp?

How do you feed the wire into the inside of the door? (is there a grommit to go trough or something? And where do you feed the power cable through the bulkead?

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 07/05/2006 01:36

A picture of an installed woofer is here (or a larger one here). The opening in the door card needs to be enlarged a tad to get the Infinity grill surround in. I also used lots of dynamat. My trimming isn't the neatest, but you don't really notice it when in the car.

Quote:

Also, when you say re-wiring, do you mean ignoring the existing speaker wiring, and running new wires from the crossover to the tweeters, and from the crossover to the woofer, and from the crossover to the amp?

Yes.
Quote:

How do you feed the wire into the inside of the door?

Throught the grommet that takes the electric window, central locking and existing speaker wires. If you remove the relevant section of door seal and lower the carpet inside the car you should be able to get to feed wires in there.

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 07/05/2006 01:46

Quote:

And where do you feed the power cable through the bulkead?

Just behine the lefthand bonnet support is a grommet. This goes down inside the small panel in front of the door and forming the rear of the front wheel arch. Remove this panel and you'll see where to feed the wire into the inside cavity (this is where the door grommet feeds into). With the internal carpet lowered you will be able to get the power cable into the car.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 07/05/2006 02:22

As Roger says, and here are some pics to help.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/bockers/th_EbayPics023Small.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/bockers/th_EbayPics021Small.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/bockers/th_EbayPics019Small.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/bockers/th_EbayPics018Small.jpg[/IMG]

John

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 08/05/2006 23:23

thanks for the pics, that's really helpful.

I'm etting a bit confused now, due to too much research, and not enough knowledge/I.Q!

Please help me someone?

Basically, I want to replace all the speakers and add a subwoofer.

I know I want Infinity amp(s) and speakers. What should I buy! ?? (Including dimensions in inches .. )

I'm thinking:

FRONT Infinity components. But which ones will fit without mods (other than altering the factory tweeter grills per the guide on this forum, which I can do)...

REAR: Infinity 2 or 3 way 6 x 9 " speakers in the rear to go in the factory locations. Will these fit without mod?

SUB: Infinity 12" sub woofer.

AMP: Infinity REF5761A 6 ch power amp.

is this all looking ok guys? (i k now the amps not mental, or as good as a separate 4 ch and 2 ch), but I'm not looking for competition levles here, just very very good sound.

help?!

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 09/05/2006 02:45

hia, heinz why do you want infiity?

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 09/05/2006 02:47

hey mule,

always been a fan. Have upgraded the speakers in most cars i've wned with Infinity 2 ways. Always loved their tone.

Plus I demo'd variuos speakers in a car audio shop this week and still prefered the sound above the others ...

Do you like Infinity yourself?

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 09/05/2006 02:54

no over the years i have seen just about every ifinity kit availabe and always tried to steer customers away from them the only ones that were decent were beaters but they dont make them any more, but peoples choice is theres, thats the beauty of it, but you gotta buy a jl audio sub with out doubt the best sub woofer company on the market and always was, there is a lot to consider with audio and the installation is key it can make soooo much difference its unreal,

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 09/05/2006 02:59

well i'm always open to any tips, Mule - you seem like a knowlegeable chap ... i'm personally not particular so, but I am a musician and I love Infinity's sound.

I'm intrigued as to why you steer people away though, please fill me in?

Re: Upgrading the Coupe's speakers - 09/05/2006 03:44

hia, there just cheep and cheerfull, when i worked for auto sounds i had works vans for mobile installs alarms etc and could have anything i wanted in the vans for advertising etc, if we didnt have the exotic products i wanted i just used to raid the stock room and have a different install every month, when kids came in with there hard earned cash wanting to buy infinity/pionerr etc stuff they had seen in max power etc i used to try and give them the best deal/products for there cash so would show them the difference between whats popular and what rocks
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK