Fiat Coupe Club UK

Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighter

Posted By: Deano

Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighter - 13/03/2006 22:01

Ive heard i can get a feed from the electric window and sunroof switches how true is this?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighter - 14/03/2006 01:52

Its very true.

Can't remember which colour you need though I'm afraid.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 02:44

why not ciggy lighter tho? You can tap into it some way up the loom.

John

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 02:46

On some cars the lighter is always live, i know on my '96 16vt it is, along with the CD head unit.

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 03:31

Deano, what Coupe do you have?
John

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 18:20

20v turbo LE, good point bockers, I think i'll tap into the loom further up (via scotch lock)?, by the way is the cig lighter removable from the from as I cant be arsed to take the H.U cage out again to look at the illumination bulb?

PS my non standard h.u is currenty fed by 2 permanent lives, does this mean the remote live (BLUE) to my amp is the same or does it switch to 0v when the unit is manually turned off or the facia is removed?

One more thing will having the head unit fed of the cig lighter overload the wiring/ will a bigger fuse be req?

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 18:25

I have never been able to remove the ciggy lighter and and even with the whole ashtray out of the car i still could not figure out how to do it. The wires do unplug at the back but it is quite a streatch to get to it. Easier with the gear lever gaiter unclipped IIRC.

John

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 14/03/2006 20:46

Deano, it should switch off whenever you turn off your HU. If it doesn't you might fry your amps, or kill your battery

Re: Switched/Ignition live other than ciggy lighte - 16/03/2006 02:28

Got the old multimeter out and blue remote wire does go 0v when the hu is switched off or facia removed so amp shouldnt kill my battery in the future.

Anyone know how to test if the battery has a drain on it, the reason I ask is I want to make sure my HU isnt drawing current when the facia is removed or switched off as I havent got it connected to a ignition switched live yet,

Cheers Deano
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK