Fiat Coupe Club UK

amp draining battery...help!!

Posted By: Anonymous

amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 00:44

i have a vibe enclosure(amp/sub) but its draining my battery. has anyone had this problem....anyone got a fix for it??

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 01:50

maybe you battery is on its way out and the amp is accelerating its death...

other ideas are...

do you have a good earth?

but most likly your hu isnt telling your amp to switch off, where is you remote wired to and does you hu switch off, as mine doesnt so the amps are perminatly on, you might need to fit an inlie switch on your remote just a toggle or push switch.

Paul

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 02:14

Quote:

but most likly your hu isnt telling your amp to switch off, where is you remote wired to and does you hu switch off

This sounds like the answer to me. The HU "switched live" is always on as wired at the factory. Wiring it to the switched live from the cigarette lighter may stop the problem. To confirm this, try measuring the voltage on the amp remote wire when the HU is "off".

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 03:30

there is perminant power to my head unit, as the lil red light ion the corner is always on, but i think this is a common thing with the coops!? i was hoping i wouldnt have to put a switch in as they are hidious....damn!!

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 03:52

out of sight out of mind, put it in the ash tray or somewhere you can not see. even in the boot? but could be a pain going to the boot everytime, would be straight forward though.

Paul

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 04:35

or i could jus take the fuse out the the power wire every time lol....

cant i wire it to something live on crank insted of the batt?

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 11:21

I'd just wire the "switched live" from the cigarette lighter, that way you'll switch it off when you turn the ignition off.

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 14:45

how do i do that exactly? i have my switchable boost controller & snooper also running off my cig lighter..

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 15:35

just take the positive feed off the lighter, and wire your remote (blue cable) to it, i know in somecars the ciggy lighter is a perminate live, not sure on the coupe, but you probably know the answer to the already, do you have to switch your boost controller off or does it go off with the engine? (same with your snooper)

a little switch would take 2mins and cost under 50p. you can hide it behind the hu in the footwell, then just put your hand round the side and flick it on, 2 cuts and 2 conectors. If your ciggy is switched then this would be the easier option long run but more hassel pulling your snooper and boost controller out etc now.

Paul

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 21:01

so if my cig lighter is not perminently live the i dont not need a switch, i just need to connect the blue wire to it and all is done??

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 28/02/2006 22:56

yep.

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 01/03/2006 01:04

Quote:

so if my cig lighter is not perminently live the i dont not need a switch, i just need to connect the blue wire to it and all is done??

Your HU may also drain the battery. Did you have it before the amp was fitted? The safest fix would be to make the HU "switched" feed really be ignition switched by connecting it to the cigarette lighter switched live.

I've actually gone a stage further and swapped the "switched" live from the HU with the (really) switched live from the cigarette lighter. That way I can use a solar charger through the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off and my HU + amp don't drain the battery.

Re: amp draining battery...help!! - 01/03/2006 01:06

how did u do that roger? electrics aint my thing lol
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK