Fiat Coupe Club UK

DAB internal glass antenna

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

DAB internal glass antenna - 15/01/2016 09:23

I'm hoping to fit a DAB head unit and will need an aerial. Plenty of FCCUK people I assume have trodden this path, so has anyone got any recommendations for (or bad experiences of) inexpensive stick-on glass aerials?

Many thanks for any advice...
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 16/01/2016 00:03

Here you go Jim

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 16/01/2016 09:24

Thanks Simon, I read your thread earlier. You're happy with the reception, then? Probably a bit better coverage in Edinburgh than Stroud, mind!

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 16/01/2016 12:38

Very happy. I can imagine those nestling valleys in the Cotswolds being more problematic but as long as the element has a clear view of the sky you should have your best chance of reception.

If it gets flaky you could always fall back on FM, even AM, but to have the DAB option where you can listen to such cricketing magic that's going on in SA right now is always worth it smile
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 16/01/2016 21:07

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/pioneer-mvh-270dab-car-radio

Only £40 jim
Posted By: wink

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 16/01/2016 22:13

If it's a powered antenna you should just check that it's compatible with the headset you choose. I'd stick to the same manufacturer for both headset and antenna to be sure.

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 17/01/2016 07:41

Thanks gents. Coupedummy, I've already bought a DAB head unit: a Pure Highway H260DBi for £70 (a bargain, I think!), though that Pioneer is very good value.

I'll check which aerials are compatible, wink, though I know that the HU supplies power through the aerial connector.
Posted By: szkom

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 17/01/2016 10:08

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
I know that the HU supplies power through the aerial connector.

It will do, to a degree. But sometimes you need to wire a seperate power supply for external aerials via the blue wire on the headunit. But just check what the aerial requires vs what the headunit can switch it that's the case. For example the headunit might only be able to provide a 1/2 amp. The aerial may need 1.

A quick glance at ebay seems to suggest a couple of different aerial plug styles. The pure units seem to be a jack plug type.

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 19/01/2016 12:44

The Pure HU has a male SMB aerial connector, which supplies 12V down the centre pin of the co-ax.

I bought the DAB film antenna from Halfords, as recommended by Edinburgh. I told the Halfords people (friendly and knowledgeable) that I had the Pure Highway and they immediately told me that this antenna is compatible. It also specifically says that if power is supplied by the HU, it should be sufficient. The HU warns that you shouldn't use a separate power feed unless the antenna can't pick up the one from the centre pin.

I think first, I'll try without a separate power supply. However, if that doesn't work, the next option is to change the HU settings to turn off the on-board 12V supply and then go for a separate one.

Good. Glad that's clear. All I need now is a car to install it in... Now, what could that be...?

Re: DAB internal glass antenna - 19/01/2016 14:08

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
The Pure HU has a male SMB aerial connector, which supplies 12V down the centre pin of the co-ax.

I bought the DAB film antenna from Halfords, as recommended by Edinburgh. I told the Halfords people (friendly and knowledgeable) that I had the Pure Highway and they immediately told me that this antenna is compatible. It also specifically says that if power is supplied by the HU, it should be sufficient. The HU warns that you shouldn't use a separate power feed unless the antenna can't pick up the one from the centre pin.

I think first, I'll try without a separate power supply. However, if that doesn't work, the next option is to change the HU settings to turn off the on-board 12V supply and then go for a separate one.

Good. Glad that's clear. All I need now is a car to install it in... Now, what could that be...?

A Clennell classic (forgive me Jim) laugh

Yes, that's the same advice re supply issue I received and have no issue with it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK