Fiat Coupe Club UK

Simple Tuning

Posted By: Anonymous

Simple Tuning - 06/01/2006 20:44

Hello all,

Got a little query. I've got to have my gearbox out to fix an oil leak. While its out i'm thinking I may aswell upgrade the clutch as I think mines going. I'm thinking of adding a GTEC I chip but that will be it for now.

Is it worth upgrading the clutch as I know the std one can be good for up to 270BHP.

What increase can I expect from the GTEC I chip?

(To be honest I was quite happy with my std coop but a fellow colleague has bought an RX8 with 228BHP and i'm fed up of hearing that his car has more power !!!)

Cheers

Jonny S

Re: Simple Tuning - 06/01/2006 21:04

Hi & Welcome...

If you're happy don't mess with it! You'll keep up nicely with an RX8 (look at the coupe vs thread on here)

A Gtech1 will add about 20-30bhp & lbsft of torque and remove the boost limiter in 1st & 2nd gear.

Of course, before then you should have a boost gauge and derestrict the air in (drilled airbox?) and the exhaust out (SS catback?)

Gtech1 (if you can get hold of one) is stonking value tho!

Std clutch will be fine.

Re: Simple Tuning - 06/01/2006 21:13

I'd add a GTEC chip and a K&N filter + a boost guage and a PRV/PBV - toal cost about £200. Drill the airbox if you like extra noise - but does not make that much difference to the feel of the car. The exhaust will make some difference on a near standard car - but not a massive one (again mostly the noise, certainly not as much difference as the chip.) I'd replace the exhaust when your current one wears out, or you want to take modifying it further. :

the standard cluch is fine for moderate tuning up to 300bhp.

Re: Simple Tuning - 06/01/2006 21:15

Or if it's all about trading figures, the RX8 has 159 lbs/ft of torque compared to your 228. You have to really rag the t*ts off the Mazda to get anywhere near 20VT performance.

Re: Simple Tuning - 06/01/2006 21:24

When my coop was running 240BHP with a GTEC I had a play with an RX8 (dont know which version though) from 70 and up slowing down for roundabouts on a DC. He was literally left for dead repeatedly - so if you wanted to prove a point you could....

They're both nice cars + the RX is really nice through corners. Personlly I'd ignore his comparison as long as your happy with your car.

Re: Simple Tuning - 07/01/2006 00:45

how much did he pay for his rx? how much did you pay for your coop? spend that extra money on your coop & see how much bhp you can gain. + the coop looks much better. that should shut him up

Re: Simple Tuning - 07/01/2006 00:58

if your happy i would say leave it alone mate. get a cone filter and exhaust, even maybe a de cat and you will see the 228 your looking for without tampering with anything else. cheap power will come at a price. especially the older the cars and the higher the mileage.

Re: Simple Tuning - 07/01/2006 01:40

how much/were do you get the GTEC chips from?

Re: Simple Tuning - 07/01/2006 06:22

GrahamL on here is the man.

Great value for a tried and tested success, too.

Have fun - sod the politics !
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Simple Tuning - 07/01/2006 10:39

Quote:

(To be honest I was quite happy with my std coop but a fellow colleague has bought an RX8 with 228BHP and i'm fed up of hearing that his car has more power !!!)

The RX8 may have 8bhp more than you but they only have a puny 164 lbs torque as opposed to your 220 odd. Remember its torque that gives you acceleration so he shouldn't embarrass you in any way when running against the Coupe standard, let alone modded.

Re: Simple Tuning - 08/01/2006 03:12

I'd like to add the famous old ditty:

" horsepower sells cars, torque wins races"

Re: Simple Tuning - 08/01/2006 04:20

I have a Gtec1, S/S Catback and panel filter... Saw a spoilered, kitted RX8 today and we were at the lights with me behind him. Reeled him in using third and when we got off the slip road onto the DC i sailed past in 4th. Admittedly he was 2 up, but i had a full tank of tesco's finest

BTW He didn't seem too pleased..
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK