Fiat Coupe Club UK

exhaust diameter ???

Posted By: Anonymous

exhaust diameter ??? - 01/02/2016 21:00

hi Guys,

I have a 20VT and am looking to tune it up to around 300-350BHP i have a question about the exhaust though i no i will need to run a 3 inch down pipe off the turbo but will the rest of the exhaust be ok as a 2.25 inch as i already have a sports cat and complete system in 2.25 inch pipe. and wanted to keep it if i could any help or advice would be great! thanks in advance.

Sean.
Posted By: knight7660

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 01/02/2016 23:35

2.75 inch downpipe will reach that power figure but 2.25 system will strangle it alittle

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 02/02/2016 16:00

Thanks for the input Knight7660 the system I have is completely unrostricted and high flow. Basically the system I have is on a Alfa GTV and I am swapping the engine from the coupe into the GTV and the exhaust system I have on the Alfa cost an absolute mint. It's made by a company called Alfaholics and I wanted to keep as much of it as I can.
http://www.alfaholics.com/browse-parts-b...system-cf3-126/
Posted By: Begbie

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 02/02/2016 16:17

Why not sell the system on and get a 3" made up? I seem to remember 'Nigel' on here, for a long time, ran with a 3" downpipe and a 2.25" for the rest of the exhaust and whilst it made the power he wanted at the time, it was a restriction as when he went 3" all the way, he freed up quite a lot of BHP and possibly torque.

Ok, lets look at it the other way. What happens if you decide to keep the Alfaholics exhaust system and then decide at a later date you want more power? You've then got the added expense of having to get the downpipe re-fabricated and then a full 3" system, whereas you could have done that in the first place and not spent so much money?

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 02/02/2016 21:33

Originally Posted By: Begbie
Why not sell the system on and get a 3" made up? I seem to remember 'Nigel' on here, for a long time, ran with a 3" downpipe and a 2.25" for the rest of the exhaust and whilst it made the power he wanted at the time, it was a restriction as when he went 3" all the way, he freed up quite a lot of BHP and possibly torque.

Ok, lets look at it the other way. What happens if you decide to keep the Alfaholics exhaust system and then decide at a later date you want more power? You've then got the added expense of having to get the downpipe re-fabricated and then a full 3" system, whereas you could have done that in the first place and not spent so much money?

fair point Begbie, looks like i will get rid of the system and just go for a full 3'' system to release its most potential. at least i can have it made with an identical tip so it looks the same at least. thanks.

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 06/02/2016 09:38

Not an expert in any shape or form but is bigger necessarilly better? Exhausts I mean of course!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 06/02/2016 10:13

Originally Posted By: Jonscoupe
Not an expert in any shape or form but is bigger necessarilly better? Exhausts I mean of course!

The quicker you can get the exhaust gases out, the quicker you can get the air in, so size and flow does matter with forced induction.

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 09/02/2016 23:31

Just a quick tip
i had a original exhaust on my Audi 3.0v6tdi measured power after remap was 300hp dpf delete + standart exhaust

changed exhaust with 80mm original is 65mm with 2 fre flow muflers
322 hp measured after

so thats on car that goes only to 4500rpm

imagine restriction on engine that goes to 7500rpm
Posted By: pippoinzaghi

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 10/02/2016 20:55

3" ... are you talking about i.d. or e.d.?
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: exhaust diameter ??? - 10/02/2016 21:22

3" ID.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK