Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fiat coupe vis

Posted By: Anonymous

Fiat coupe vis - 13/05/2015 21:52

Hi everyone I have just gone and got a another coupe it's not a turbo but it's a vis is there anything I can do to get a bit more power out of it? The seller told me about someone in Bristol that dose something with the vis but he did not no this name.
Any help would be good
Thank you

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 13/05/2015 21:54

http://www.fcperformance.co.uk/
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 13/05/2015 22:31

Welcome to club Vis smile

My coupes previous owner was a Dr. It covered about 3k miles a year in the later years so I guess it was used for mainly town work.

Performance was lethargic. But, after an oil flush and change, a full service and changing the stuck open 'stat things started to get better.
By exercising the upper rev range when the engine was warm it started to rev cleanly to 6k rpm.

The best thing I did was to take it on a 400 mile round trip to Leeds , much of it motorway.

Maybe this is why your car feels sluggish?
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 13/05/2015 22:59

A good service is what they need normally plus a fuel system clean because mine felt very sluggish until giving it a good dig out. After a tank of V power it seamed like a new beast and very happy up the Rev range.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 17/05/2015 09:28

Thank you I will got all try a service It is due one so that is first on the list to do.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 21/05/2015 22:14

Another post tonight reminds me that the thermostat on mine was stuck open when I bought it. This made the mixture too rich and knackered performance.

Basically the needle moved off the bottom only when it was properly warm, and only got to 90 in heavy traffic on a hot day, and dropped down again when on the move.

What does yours do?

See this post.
Posted By: Mrzly_slo

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 09:23

I have similar desires to tune my VIS.
I did the full service which costed 1000€ 2 years ago (and about 20.000km), changed the thermostat which means that it needs about 3 min to warm up to 90*C and stays there fixed, cold or hot day no matter what...
Also change the water temp. sensor also...

The VIS delivers power over 3500 range where it has the most torque,but after I'm kinda dissapointed frown
From 4000-6000 it does rev put it doesn't pull at all, seems like it strugling or something..

Fitted K&N box filter which didn't do any good, it maybe made it even worse....

So now I wanted to have more "power" from my VIS the first step should be exhaust and Remap from FCS?

I do however have 18" ultaleggeras installed which weigh about 18kg with wheels which I think is not that much...I would swap for 16" orginal 20vt alloys but the grip on 18" is much better.....

Also cleaned the MAF sensor but I didn't do much difference.....I would buy new one but I costs 100€ which is quite expensive if you consider that I might not change anything....

Still angry when the Coop doesn't pull as much as I want in high revs, it makes overtaking cars hard and risky... crazy

With my ex chiped 16VT it was much easier laugh
Posted By: Spoonz

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 10:22

the only way you're going to get more power would be a trip to see leighton at FC in bristol.

also mentioned in the post already a good service should do the trick, dont bother with cone filters, does nothing good for the vis, freeflow exhaust should open it up a little, but if you were to get it done, do everything before the map.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 12:26

The VIS delivers power over 3500 range where it has the most torque,but after I'm kinda dissapointed frown
From 4000-6000 it does rev put it doesn't pull at all, seems like it strugling or something..

So now I wanted to have more "power" from my VIS the first step should be exhaust and Remap from FCS?

I do however have 18" ultaleggeras installed which weigh about 18kg with wheels which I think is not that much...I would swap for 16" orginal 20vt alloys but the grip on 18" is much

Still angry when the Coop doesn't pull as much as I want in high revs, it makes overtaking cars hard and risky... crazy

laugh
[/quote

Something isn't right, my Vis pulls all the way to 6k and would probably go beyond but I don't.
I had poor performance when it was running on four cylinders - does it sound like it's firing on five? Whip the plugs out and check for a wet plug.

Also, with your big wheels, would that make the gearing higher and blunt acceleration? Mine pulls 3100 rpm at 62 mph (100 kmh).

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 16:36

If it workes on 4 cylindres it probably wodn't go anywhere laugh
Could be that the blunt acceleration is cause by 18", but im not sure, spark plugs all look ok. As I said until 3000-4000 it pulls ok, but afterwards.... Not so ok.
I think I would probably have to change the MAF sensor, but Im afraid that won't change much.... Any recomendation for better spark plugs?
Posted By: lost55

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 17:32

Have you checked the vvt solenoid is operating correctly?
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 29/07/2015 23:05

Sounds similar to mine and it was the MAF. Changing mine vastly improved the top end. Also check the bellows section of the intake for splits. It is pricey at £90 but the MAF for the VIS is still much cheaper than the other coupe models.

FCperformance will give around 10% improvement in bhp and torque.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 31/07/2015 08:43

Is there any specific procedure I should do when installing new MAF?

Or do I just fit it...and let ECU learn for the next 50km?
Posted By: Spoonz

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 31/07/2015 11:47

yeah straight swap, itll pick it up instantly, my 20vt did anyway.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 31/07/2015 20:43

Yes I did my VIS MAF no trouble. Was an instant fix for me. I am fairly sure it uses the same as some Alfas.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 02/08/2015 11:12

The VIS engine in my bravo HGT I got a few weeks back has been tuned, got receipts for cams and map also has a stainless exhaust manifold, induction kit and a loud exhaust was running a decat too but I've removed that to put through an MOT once I've had that done I'm tempted to take it for a rolling road to see what the output is.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 04/08/2015 17:33

Originally Posted By: lost55
Have you checked the vvt solenoid is operating correctly?

How do you check that? I prosume it does, because It pulls nicely in 3500rpm range...
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 07/08/2015 15:16

My VIS performs much better since I switched to high octane fuel.
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 07/08/2015 19:22

Do you run on 99 octane, Annie?

Hmm that's interesting. (Sorry, this is not the start of a side-thread)
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 07/08/2015 23:22

Originally Posted By: AnnieMac
My VIS performs much better since I switched to high octane fuel.
What is that and can you prove this? wink
Posted By: Flea

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 08/08/2015 07:50

The VIS is very prone to knock, especially with warmer weather and if the engine has excessive heat soak e.g. sat in traffic. The knock sensors can also be overly aggressive, resulting in a noticeable and inconsistent power delivery, especially in the mid to high rpms.

So yes Jack, Annie is correct that the engine will run better with a high octane fuel, in fact I would recommend it for all owners, as well as an FC remap to make the difference!!

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 15/08/2015 18:23

Originally Posted By: Flea
The VIS is very prone to knock, especially with warmer weather and if the engine has excessive heat soak e.g. sat in traffic. The knock sensors can also be overly aggressive, resulting in a noticeable and inconsistent power delivery, especially in the mid to high rpms.

So yes Jack, Annie is correct that the engine will run better with a high octane fuel, in fact I would recommend it for all owners, as well as an FC remap to make the difference!!

I can also say that it runs better on 100 octane fuel, I use it all the time, it's also true that the inconsistent power delivery comes with different engine temp. ...will need to change the MAF soon and remap laugh

Is the k&n box filter and sport exhaust necessary or just and option for better performance?

Would it be still OK if I got my VIS chipped and use stock exhaust and k&n box filter? Will the k&N filter affect the lower range?
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 15/08/2015 18:36

the panel filter didnt kill the power low down like the induction kit did and also seemed to give more up the top end than the standard filter which you would expect.

its worth while doing the filter and exhaust just before the chip so you see the complete difference in my eyes.
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 15/08/2015 22:17

OK, I stand corrected.

Re: Fiat coupe vis - 16/08/2015 10:49

Originally Posted By: knight7660
the panel filter didnt kill the power low down like the induction kit did and also seemed to give more up the top end than the standard filter which you would expect.

its worth while doing the filter and exhaust just before the chip so you see the complete difference in my eyes.

+1
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK