Fiat Coupe Club UK

Another gear oil thread (6 speed)

Posted By: knight7660

Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 20/02/2015 22:05

Hi all just wondering what everyone is using? And if anyone is using something out of the norm

From what I have read the recommended oil is 75w-90 and I have the millers nano drive stuff in there already but it is due a change

Any info would be great
Posted By: technics

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 20/02/2015 23:51

I use to use Joe Gibbs. Think it was 75-110. Used in race cars. Over engineered for a coop but it made the gearbox smooth and slick like you wouldn't believe.
Looked after the box. Have a look and read about it, great stuff. Black bottle with blue writing.
Was recommended to me by Taz on here years ago.

What happened to him anyway?

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 21/02/2015 00:52

Cheers technics il have a read about the Joe Gibbs stuff in a minute, at the moment I'm reading about royal purple gear oil which has lots of feed back from the Evo lot.

As for TAZ I have t seen him post for awhile hope him and his 2.4 LE is going strong looked a very nice coupe
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 21/02/2015 08:38

I've used several different oils in my coupe but over the last few years I've used Morris 75/90 fully synth and change it every year.
(Not tried Gibbs though)

Costs £15 and it doesn't feel any different than the more expensive versions.

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 21/02/2015 19:15

Thanks JBT il have a read up on Morris aswell and the price is cheap enough for test anyway.

One with your gearbox history are you running a cooler and pump?

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 21/02/2015 20:20

Originally Posted By: knight7660
Thanks JBT il have a read up on Morris aswell and the price is cheap enough for test anyway.

One with your gearbox history are you running a cooler and pump?

No not at all.since using the Quaife the only failure I've had is snapping the input shaft but I did a full throttle launch in second gear so my own fault.

I've never even monitored the oil temps tbh,the only thing I do differently is use 3 litres as opposed to 2.
In theory the more oil you use the cooler the fluid should be.

However if you want to cheat for ease of install ,the fiat bravo/marea 1800 or 1600 auto cooler and pipework would not only make for easy mounting with brackets but is relatively cheap and easy to obtain still.
Nice neat installation .

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 16/03/2015 11:36

Still got the coop lads & it's still got Joe Gibbs in it's veins smile
Posted By: Per

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 17/03/2015 14:38

Joe Gibbs here too. Hard/expensive to get these days though..

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 17/03/2015 20:54

Yes I looked into the Joe Gibbs and found out it was a pain to get unless you wanted to go for deamon thieves wink

So I'm now trading off the Morris stuff against the Royal purple

Re: Another gear oil thread (6 speed) - 21/03/2015 15:10

very odd, as if you contact one of the lads at american anglo oil, they'll sort you out ASAP.

HTH

smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK