Fiat Coupe Club UK

Discs and pads upgrade

Posted By: Anonymous

Discs and pads upgrade - 09/02/2015 17:27

Hello all

I've put up with the duff brakes for too long! I would like to upgrade the discs and pads but don't want to spend silly money. What's a good option. Also, does this actually make much of a difference?

Cheers

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 09/02/2015 17:55

front and rear brake disc's - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-COUPE-2-0-Turbo-20v-Front-and-Rear-Brake-Discs-/290490045562

or front and rear brake disc's and pads - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Coupe-2-0-20v-Turbo-Fr-Rr-Pads-Drilled-Brake-Discs-/110525744740

I use these discs but with yellow stuff pads and have done a few track days on them and they are still straight and true and still working very well .
Posted By: Per

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 01:12

Disc's MTEC
Pad's Carbotech
New fluid
Correct bleed

You wont go wrong!
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 07:20

Per, does this set up squeal like all the rest?

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 09:16

Thanks for this everyone
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 10:29

Originally Posted By: Per
Disc's MTEC
Pad's Carbotech
New fluid
Correct bleed

You wont go wrong!

I would agree that the performance of this setup is VERY good, but in my experience, the durability was less than ideal. Basically, the Carbotech pads are simply too aggressive for the MTEC discs

Check out my Carbotech feedback thread (although to be fair, there is some good feedback from Ian at Carbotech later in the thread)
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 11:02

I agree with Nigel. My MTEC have warped with xp10s. Still stops well but a bit of vibration.

What i have found is as the discs heat up on a track day they get better(less warp so to say). But slow speeds when unloading the car and putting away into the garage i can feel it.

@ Cottrell my coupe is a track car only,so very heavy use of Brakes.

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 11:05

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Basically, the Carbotech pads are simply too aggressive for the MTEC discs

Actually - I'll re-phrase that, as it sounds like a Carbotech fault

Basically, the MTEC discs are simply too soft for the Carbotech pads

There - that's better.... wink

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 11:59

Ok cheers guys... so what's a good setup for standard heavy road use? Does a good setup sort the squeaky brakes?

Cheers

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 10/02/2015 12:09

Originally Posted By: Cottrell
so what's a good setup for standard heavy road use? Does a good setup sort the squeaky brakes?

I use MTEC discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads - they have proved to be very effective (but a bit noisy, as the grooves are quite wide)

I've now killed the discs, but it took most of a day at Bruntingthorpe, doing repeated big stops from 150+ at the end of the runway - they would be fine for everyday road use
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 11/02/2015 09:51

+1 for MTEC with Ferodo DS2500. Really good combo for fast road and occasional track abuse.
Posted By: Per

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 14/02/2015 10:38

Originally Posted By: Per
Disc's MTEC
Pad's Carbotech
New fluid
Correct bleed

You wont go wrong!

I would agree that the performance of this setup is VERY good, but in my experience, the durability was less than ideal. Basically, the Carbotech pads are simply too aggressive for the MTEC discs

Never understood that, I've used my MTEC's for both XP8 and Performance Friction pfc08 pads (well as hard as XP10 - yes, THEY squeel!) and never had any warping problems etc, about 8 trackdays at least. Maybe I've been more picky about cooling afterwards etc? I don't know. For me, they've been extremely worth their pennies!
Posted By: pippoinzaghi

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 23/03/2016 07:35

Probably the squeal and vibration are related
to dust not removed (always clean with high pressure water)
and wheel with tensioned bolts without torque wrench
at the right kg/m per bolt

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 23/03/2016 11:44

About MTEC, my friend bought a front pair last year and they got prematurely warped. He used them with Textar pads, so not even close to a sports pad. I also read and heard bad reviews concerning MTEC over past few months. Perhaps they changed the steel they use? I wouldn't risk it and go for something else which I did.
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 23/03/2016 11:55

I bought genuine Brembo rotors from Germany. They were not expensive. TRW Lucas pads for the street and Winmax front pads for the track. Could not be happier

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 24/03/2016 06:18

there is a combo for sale Mintex discs and pads
do someone bought the items?

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 24/03/2016 08:14

I bought it once for an alfa 156 once and it was shite. Cheap, good discs and pads combo would be Apec.

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 24/03/2016 08:50

I agree, for the 16vt, i bought recently Apec discs
with SparcoR61 racing pads

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 25/03/2016 00:19

I have MTEC drilled to replicate the LE Brembo disc look without the expense (and without being able to get hold of any!) Use along with Fiat OE pads. I was getting a squeal when cold which progressed to at speed when the wheels were dead ahead. Turned out my 2.5k per year little use was resulting in sticking calipers rather than pad squeel itself. They are fine for normal road use but I'd look to upgrade for a ....heavier pedal laugh

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 27/03/2016 08:58

I reckon I've now found the ultimate disc & pad set for the Coupe, but it's not cheap - I certainly wouldn't use this setup if I was still doing 30,000+ miles pa

I have the Brembo two-piece floating discs from the Abarth 500 695 and Pagid Yellow pads

No heat problems, no warping, reduced un-sprung weight and truly amazing stopping power (finally going to need to do something with the rears now...)
Posted By: 20vtplus

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 29/03/2016 01:31

Nigel about the 500 abarth 695 discs are they plug and play in the coupe?
Posted By: Spank

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 11/06/2016 22:44

Hello to all,
So 500 abarth discs are plug and play to 20v turbo?
They fit without any modifications?

Thank you

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 13/06/2016 08:08

Sorry - didn't spot this thread

The optional floating discs from the 500 EsseEsse (standard on the 500 695) fit the Coupe without ANY modification
Posted By: Possum

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 13/06/2016 08:25

Isn't it great that Fiat still use brake parts that are interchangeable between models.

Us old blokes still remember the 124, 125, 128, 131, 132 (not 2.0 litre) and X1/9 which all shared the same Rotors, front and rear where fitted, and same front pads and read pads. From memory, the 850 also shared this Rotor on the front (rear drums) but had thinner pads.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 13/06/2016 21:47

The optional floating discs from the 500 EsseEsse (standard on the 500 695) fit the Coupe without ANY modification

Which were the disc that needed modification to the centre bore of the bell?

Re: Discs and pads upgrade - 14/06/2016 14:28

Originally Posted By: szkom

Which were the disc that needed modification to the centre bore of the bell?

Those were the Punto EsseEsse floating discs - 4x100 and 1mm over-size for the center bore
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK