Fiat Coupe Club UK

Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts

Posted By: Anonymous

Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:28

Going to be building a forged engine over the next few weeks, looking for around 400/450FWHP

Who's the best supplier for Forged internals and the following list below,
Garrett GT3071R
500cc Injectors
Clutch?
Downpipe and 3 inch exhaust
Head gasket?
Mapping will be done by Flea

It's going to be tracked mostly, looking to do maybe 6-8 trackdays a year.

Already has Bilstiens and Eibachs, Pro race 1's, Apexi AVCR, FMIC etc
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:33

Hive Joe (Countrycruising) a call. He makes bespoke exhaust and I remember that he was talking about clutches not long ago too. He might be able with other parts too. Your other option might be John (johnubravoturbo), maybe Barbz or Flea himself wink

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:45

Getting hold of the internals is the easy part.

Building these engines is extremely time consuming.
Mainly down to the crankshaft.

Most people use generic shells over the crank mains.
Any experienced builder would always check but on 99% of engines they run a "true" crank.
On the 5 cylinder it doesn't.
Or I am yet to see one that does.

Usually between the 6 caps,the centre 2 are different and sometimes more.
The last crank I fitted had 3 different size shells so made installation very time consuming.
On average it takes me 3 days to construct even with all the parts and tooling to hand with engine on the stand.

Maybe back in the day the tooling wore whilst cutting these to size making tolerances very difficult to perfect for future builders.

One other crucial thing to check for is cap float.
How these were measured is beyond me but I scrap blocks where the caps are a loose fit on the mains.
Big ends are straightforward but not always the same size.

82.5 bore gives much greater flexibility when ordering aftermarket components.

But above all make sure you clean,clean,clean and once done clean again.

Seal the engine when not working on it as dust will be in any environment.
And never assume because its new that its right.check and check again,and if your not happy then don't continue until you are.
Unless its perfect then don't turn the key.

20vt runs an extremely fine tolerance between top and bottom limit so any swarf will reduce your 3k engine back to the raw materials in a matter of hours.

Down the years i have seen many attempts at building forged angines with catastrophic consiquesces so Ask as many questions as you can,regardless of how trivial they may seem.
Forged engines aren't unreliable but are weak if not done right.

Good luck thumb

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:46

I spoke to Joe today, He had a Forged engine For Sale but it was a bit out of my price range.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:56

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo
Getting hold of the internals is the easy part.

Building these engines is extremely time consuming.
Mainly down to the crankshaft.

Most people use generic shells over the crank mains.
Any experienced builder would always check but on 99% of engines they run a "true" crank.
On the 5 cylinder it doesn't.
Or I am yet to see one that does.

Usually between the 6 caps,the centre 2 are different and sometimes more.
The last crank I fitted had 3 different size shells so made installation very time consuming.
On average it takes me 3 days to construct even with all the parts and tooling to hand with engine on the stand.

Maybe back in the day the tooling wore whilst cutting these to size making tolerances very difficult to perfect for future builders.

One other crucial thing to check for is cap float.
How these were measures is beyond me but I scrap blocks where the caps are a loose fit on the mains.
Big ends are straightforward but not always the same size.

82.5 bore gives much greater flexibility when ordering aftermarket components.

But above all make sure you clean,clean,clean and once done clean again.
And never assume because its new that its right.check and check again,and if your not happy then don't continue until you are.
Unless its perfect then don't turn the key.

20vt runs an extremely fine tolerance between top and bottom limit so any swarf will reduce your 3k engine back to the raw materials in a matter of hours.
Ask as many questions as you can,regardless of how trivial they may seem.

Good luck thumb

Thanks for your helpful post mate, I rebuilt a stock 20vt lump nearly 6 years ago, here's the thread.... http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=500417&page=1

I'll be taking my time over this and checking all tolerances over and over. Ive done two track days in warm weather and the engines had a good hammering and still running fine.

Engine will be in bits by the middle of next week im hoping
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 21:58

£637 for a Helix organic clutch here. http://www.mardigras.co.uk/

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:00

Building it yourself will save around £800-£1500 in labour costs so its worth doing if your experienced enough to take on the challenge.
Once its running you need 3 things to keep it alive.
Oil temp is vital
Exhaust gas temperature
Wideband
Inherently heat is the killer of all engines with various factors contributing to the heat.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:04

Opinions on these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/conrod-Fiat-co...=item4ab6b07800

and these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-Beam-Conrods...=item3efacc3ba5

and...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOSSNER-FORGED-PISTONS-FOR-FIAT-COUPE-2-0-20v-TURBO-/130477124926?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ACoupe&hash=item1e610aed3e

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:06

Building it yourself will save around £800-£1500 in labour costs so its worth doing if your experienced enough to take on the challenge.
Oil temp is vital
Exhaust gas temperature
Wideband
Inherently heat is the killer of all engines with various factors contributing to the heat.

Yes I understand this mate, been a mobile mechanic working on every car under the sun for the last six years. Any videos of your 600hp going!? Must be bonkers,
Posted By: jon13

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:10

Originally Posted By: magooagain

Further to this.Read my thread below to find out how to get a massive discount on helix clutches at mardi gras....

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...070#Post1416070

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:15

Originally Posted By: puntoturbo
Oil temp is vital
Exhaust gas temperature
Wideband

Yes I understand this mate, been a mobile mechanic working on every car under the sun for the last six years. Any videos of your 600hp going!? Must be bonkers,

Got numerous to host in the next few weeks so watch this space.
Bonkers wouldn't do it justice.
It actually scares the sh17 out of me.

The fear is due to the fact it gets the power down.
Christ ,you need to concentrate .

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:16

They only offered 10% today.
Posted By: jon13

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 29/05/2013 22:24

They only offered 10% today.

Hmmm.Didn't know they'd changed that crazy
Still...a helix with 10% off...still good.Just wish I had the funds at time of phonecall.May have missed the boat.

Anyway,good luck with the build and update regularly,I shall be watching with interest. smile

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 02:21

Or would the Wossner matched pistons and rods be my best bet?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOSSNER-PISTONS-AND-RODS-FOR-FIAT-COUPE-2-0-20v-TURBO-/140508427025?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ACoupe&hash=item20b6f47311

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 02:24

These injectors a direct fit does anyone know?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-EV14-AUDI-AA...=item5648e274aa

*ACTUALLY THE MAIN HARNESS CLIP LOOKS WRONG*

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 02:46

Another thing to add to the list 3.8bar FPR...
Posted By: nick_d

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 06:01

These injectors a direct fit does anyone know?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-EV14-AUDI-AA...=item5648e274aa

*ACTUALLY THE MAIN HARNESS CLIP LOOKS WRONG*

You've got the right idea looking to the states for you injectors... Much cheaper!!
Flea mapped my car using these....
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251113078472

My fuelling is bang although they may seem a little Over kill!! smile
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 09:24

Buy a branded name conrod, thoses ones on ebay are chinese junk. Is saving a few hundred quid worth it in the long run?

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 10:15

Injectors sorted then £150 for five smile

Begie, thats why I suggested this setup....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOSSNER-PISTONS-AND-RODS-FOR-FIAT-COUPE-2-0-20v-TURBO-/140508427025?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ACoupe&hash=item20b6f47311

Wossner pistons and rods

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 10:21

This turbo? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-GT3071R-...404&vxp=mtr

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 10:24

Are these shit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-coupe-5-cyl...38f&vxp=mtr

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 10:27

From the pictures I've seen of the PEC rods, it still says Chinese rods to me, although I believe they say otherwise.

Turbo, I wouldn't trust buying anything that expensive off ebay. At the very least, go and look at ATPTurbo.com or ATP GT3071

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 10:31

More than likely. Have you not noticed that the 3 links for conrods on ebay all look exactly the same? Doesn't that kind of tell you something? I would even hazard a guess the ARP bolts are fake too. I only say this as I bought rods that looked the same years ago, it wasn't until I was at Guy Croft's place and basically, these had worse clearances than a standard used rod. The big end was oval! I managed to get a refund and got a set of Pauter rods instead.

I think Pauter do rods for the 20vt engine, as well as Cunningham.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 11:00

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the rods fit to the crank? It looks like it has no split to get them on the crank. I thought the bolts were to join them together but it looks like they will be doing nothing confused

Again, forgive my ignorance as i'm just curious as I was going to put forged in my old engine if it's not beyond repair, when/if I had the funds, but by the sounds of what JBT is saying it's not just a straight forward rod and piston swap so i'm having second thoughts.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 11:28

Originally Posted By: jon13

Further to this.Read my thread below to find out how to get a massive discount on helix clutches at mardi gras....

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...070#Post1416070

Just to add i managed to get the 20% discount this morning using the code Jon put up. Thanks Jon. Again the code is FCOC.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 30/05/2013 13:41

I have been working on my Coupe project for years and I will be collecting my engine next week. I used 83mm Wossner pistons and these Eagle conrods Eagle LD9

I will post pictures next week.

The Eagle conrods are a near match for the 20VT and we had to increase the big end diameter by .20mm. We also used King XP big end and mains bearings instead of the standard Fiat units.

There used to be a huge argument on this website about the big end and gudgeon pin end width differences between the standard 20VT conrod and the forged ones and how it influences conrod/ piston centering. The Eagle rods give you the option since they are as wide as the 20VT standard piston.

I took Stichl's advice and modified the head to accept M12 Head Bolts over the standard M10 units.

Where to buy:
Wossner Pistons - I bought them in the USA, was cheaper than EU suppliers.
Eagle Conrods and King bearings - www.raceeng.com, ask for Rob.
Head Bolts - Off a Renault, Head Bolts

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 02/06/2013 21:34

Thinking of buying TurboJ 's engine and using a GT3071R to create more power at less boost

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 02/06/2013 22:09

Originally Posted By: I8AV8
I have been working on my Coupe project for years and I will be collecting my engine next week. I used 83mm Wossner pistons and these Eagle conrods Eagle LD9

The Eagle conrods are a near match for the 20VT and we had to increase the big end diameter by .20mm. We also used King XP big end and mains bearings instead of the standard Fiat units.

There used to be a huge argument on this website about the big end and gudgeon pin end width differences between the standard 20VT conrod and the forged ones and how it influences conrod/ piston centering. The Eagle rods give you the option since they are as wide as the 20VT standard piston.

I took Stichl's advice and modified the head to accept M12 Head Bolts over the standard M10 units.

Where to buy:

Although this is something that we don't suffer with,just out of interest did you have to get the block threads altered or just elongate the head holes?
No one does m10 uprated head stud conversions.

My latest project will be running 2.5-2-8 bar on Gt35 so its something I will have to do.
Posted By: volumex

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 02/06/2013 23:41

its getting to the point were it may be easier to have a billet crank and rods made as a group buy

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 02/06/2013 23:45

Originally Posted By: volumex
its getting to the point were it may be easier to have a billet crank and rods made as a group buy

Cranks have never failed yet due to boost.

Neither have gaskets tbh.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 03/06/2013 13:49

Still thinking this is going to work out cheaper myself as people selling forged engines seem to be wanting to get back their 12-1500 labour too. Which is understandable I suppose

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 03/06/2013 16:32

If no reply within the next day. Self build will be under way smile Let me know what people want who are offering engines.

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 03/06/2013 16:52

I found the old advert of TurboJ's, he wanted 3 grand for it. You'll end up spending that quite easily going forged, along with new gaskets, pumps etc..
Posted By: Stichl

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 04/06/2013 06:53

Originally Posted By: I8AV8

Where to buy:

Although this is something that we don't suffer with,just out of interest did you have to get the block threads altered or just elongate the head holes?
No one does m10 uprated head stud conversions.

My latest project will be running 2.5-2-8 bar on Gt35 so its something I will have to do.

You will need to drill and tap new M12- threads.
Moreover you will need to increase holes on head and on head gasket.
screws itself have same length and will fit. Only small problem - for two screws you will have to demount the head arch on the right side of cylinder head to have enough space to bolt the screws. But this is no real problem at all. Moreover you will need some time to find a suitable screw tap, which is long enough.
I searched months for upgraded M10-bolts, who can handle more. But I never found suitable ones with sufficient lenghts. Some people wrote, that they did install an upgrade solution. But when I asked them I never got an answer. I doubt...
Juergen

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 05/06/2013 16:52

I could probably find 20K+ of receipts on my car! I won't look though laugh

Re: Building a forged engine, Best suppliers for parts - 05/06/2013 20:27

Originally Posted By: TurboJ
I could probably find 20K+ of receipts on my car! I won't look though laugh

I would say I can double that.i am on the 5th engine now though and 11th box.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK