Fiat Coupe Club UK

Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded

Posted By: Anonymous

Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded - 14/10/2012 22:30

Hi all, yeap 12 days passed without any erractic idling issues, ie: when stationary reving at 700rpm, however just when i thought my horror idling issues have gone it came back and does the occasional 1500rpm when stationary or in slow moving traffic.

However now need to point this out, I put in super unleaded 98ron a couple of days ago, and an hour or two later the erractic idling came back!!!.

I strongly suspect the previous owner had a GTEC 1 chip fitted. Would I be right in thinking that the GTEC 1 chip is only suited to 95ron standard petrol, as when I put in super unleaded i'm back to my old erractic idling nightmare. I also suspect due to me putting in the super unleaded this confuses the ECU due to the GTEC 1 chip.

Re: Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded - 14/10/2012 23:29

i have heard from some people that the gtec 1 chip is not the best the gtec 2 chip is better

Re: Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded - 15/10/2012 00:31

Very much doubt that 98 ron fuel would have any effect on erratic idle speed irrespective of whichever chip may have been installed.
Much more likely is an intermittent glitch with the idle speed control.
As your in London ... give Barbz a shout for advice.

Re: Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded - 15/10/2012 00:38

Originally Posted By: fiatcoupe86
i have heard from some people that the gtec 1 chip is not the best the gtec 2 chip is better

the gtech 2 chip is designed for a more advanced set up, i.e. hybrid turbo, uuprated intercooling, for a standard turbo stick with the gtech 1, one is not better than the other, they are designed for different set ups

Re: Can a GTEC 1 chip be affected by super unleaded - 15/10/2012 21:55

If it has a GTEC fitted then I will be getting rid off it. My only solution I can think off would be to reset the ECU, have over a half tank of petrol and give it a good run over 60 miles on the motorway" and also to go on some back roads to adjust speeds.
Had see someone mention on here that the GTEC 1 was meant to run on 95ron?

It seems very strange that having done a ECU reset 2 weeks ago and giving it a run it was fine for a good 10 days and when I put in super unleaded it went back to the erractic idling!!. At first I thought I cured the problem due to thinking it was the Fuel pressure regulator hose, however I suspect it wasnt that after all.

Anyway the next solution will be for me to check to see if it has a GTEC or something similar fitted this weekend, and then do a ECU reset and have over a half tank of petrol and give it a good run on the motorway and go on some back roads driving
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK