Fiat Coupe Club UK

Punto rear wiper arm

Posted By: jame5

Punto rear wiper arm - 19/01/2013 15:07

Has anyone tried fitting one of these to the coupe?

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 20/01/2013 23:02

No? How about one of these ?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 22/01/2013 18:50

this is going well
Posted By: Mrzly_slo

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 23/01/2013 20:01

Why do you even want a rear wiper? For me it's complitely useless...
Currenty my second car is Renault Megane Classic which doesn't have rear wiper, and I don't need it.
I think you only need a rear wiper if you have a hatchback car.Which has a lot of visibility and where you do need a rear wiper.

If you want better visibility on a Coop, get yourself a rearview camera mirror.
Can find them on ebay, about 100€ kit with camera and mirror.

And Coupe looks much nicer without the rear wiper wink

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 07:21

^^ All of what was said there!

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 07:59

I can't see how people don't use there rear wipers? Do you never drive in the rain? crazy I don't know about anyone else but I like a clear field of vision when I'm driving. The coupe rear screen isn't exactly vertical and water seems to collect on it quite easily.
I think the original rear wiper looks a little old fashioned and I'm trying to find a more modern and sleeker looking rear wiper. There was a thread a while back on this, if I remember correctly someone used a replacement from a Chevrolet of some sort. The Punto and Laguna wipers look the right shape, has anyone tried either of them?
Posted By: bockers

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 08:10

I'm with you james, the rear wiper is usefull IMHO. It may look a little old fashioned and be the wrong side for RHD but it is still essential, especially whne there is snow and ice about. The fact that the wiper arm has a bend in it will mean the alternatives will be limited. Not seen anyone do anything with the rear wiper other than remove it so hence why you are seeing very little response to this thread.
Posted By: Thunderbox

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 09:08

Jame5,

For what it's worth I'm with you on this ( and Bockers). Also I, like you, have considered the rear wiper design "soooo 1990's darling!" and considered alternatives, purely on aesthetic grounds as the existing one still works tolerably well.

The bend on the Punto and the Laguna both appear from the picture to be less than the original and that may not suit. At £20 a pop it's a bit steep to buy one and see.

Having said that I fully expect you to turn up at the next meeting with one on!! tongue

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 13:33

I've always found that with regular applications of rain-x or similar it clears almost instantly once you're moving, and stays off. My old astra coupe didn't have one from the factory, and it was never an issue.
Every hatchback I've ever owned has the rear window covered in spray the instant you even look at a wet patch in the road, I'm guessing down to their aerodynamic properties, but this doesn't appear to happen so much on longer or sleeker designs.

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 19:19

Laguna wiper purchased from ebay, watch this space wink
Posted By: bockers

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 22:08

Shame it wasn't from the big Renault people carrier then we could have watched this espace coat

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 24/01/2013 22:11

If it doesn't fit i'll have a punt-o the other one paper
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 25/01/2013 08:29

click to enlarge

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 25/01/2013 11:08

Well put begbie

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 22:30

Jame5 neither of these will fit.

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 22:36

How come? and where were you last week!

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 22:39

1.Because I have tried them.
2.I wasn't here

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 22:58

What was the problem with the Laguna arm?

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 23:05

Too long and wrong angle

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 26/01/2013 23:19

What you have to think about is the diameter size of the ribbed Coupe wiper mech. The Punto one was larger but with a shim you could make it work but was stupidly small.
Also, the angle it's attached for pressure on the screen is another thing to address.
The Laguna one is almost there and is massive. You could almost bend it to shape with heat which I tried cutting out some inner strenghthening ribs. I over did it, wondered why I was doing this and used violence to put it in the bin. But I did keep the blade if you want a spare.
I roll with you on needing one. As when I drive dirt somehow lands on my rear screen in beteween washes. Crazey I know but with a little spray and wipe it cleans it.
Also, if you sit in the passenger seat you can see fine, Maybe to do with left hand drive? This was discussed when I had a 944, same thing although much more raked rear.
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 27/01/2013 00:58

I fitted one off a kangoo! initially it wouldn't work, the wiper arm just floated across the glass, after further investigation I noticed that the arm and the spring loaded wiper attachment were at maximum closure so I stripped it down ( they are easily disassembled) made a small saw cut and removed part of the spring stopper to give more downforce onto window works but not brilliantly. Also this wiper arm has no splines on to fit onto the motor shaft so I just had to nip it up as tight as I dare

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 27/01/2013 08:25

Anyone tried a mk1 zafira arm?

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 27/01/2013 16:12

I had forgotten just how many I had bought !
As it was some time ago it's not showing in eBay purchase history, so which one is which I cant quite remember.
I know the large blade was the Laguna. I think that the smallest was the Punto and perhaps the mid size was the Zafira?

*Just noticed how rusty my blade has become! click to enlarge
Posted By: Thunderbox

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 28/01/2013 09:52

dlongstaff, That picture paints a 1000 words! Jame5- what now!

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 28/01/2013 19:39

The laguna wiper i bought looks different to all three of those so maybe i'll be lucky, if not a lot of tinkering then a lot of swearing then ordering more wipers! frown
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 28/01/2013 19:48

James, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to spend an hour walking around local scrapyards to see what fits?

Got to be better than wasting money ordering different wipers frown

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 29/01/2013 00:02

It would be much easier and probably cheaper too! Unfortunately I rarely get time off during scrappy opening hours and the nearest half decent one is a fair drive. I also quite enjoy bargain hunting on ebay wink
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 29/01/2013 00:15

Ah, fair enough.

At least you can look around Ebay at midnight, etc, unlike scrapyards, unless you're a thief laugh

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 29/01/2013 21:54

laguna wiper arrived today, looks hopeful (famous last words!), the metal part under the plastic moulded bit looks very similar to the coupe and i may just be able to swap it over. Tinkering time laugh

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 29/01/2013 22:31

Step one,
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Looks promising but i think i'll be very lucky indeed if the plastic bit fits straight over the coupe wiper. More tinkering tomorrow wink
Posted By: darmtb

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 30/01/2013 01:22

A cap to cover where the rear wiper motor goes through the glass and liberal use of 3rd gear when it rains and watch the rain droplets fly away laugh tongue

Interested to see how this goes, though. Anyone tried different front wipers??

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 30/01/2013 08:14

Also interested to see how this goes James, from the pics it looks good.... cool
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 30/01/2013 18:42

Originally Posted By: dlongstaff
click to enlarge
Originally Posted By: Thunderbox
dlongstaff, That picture paints a 1000 words! Jame5- what now!

Yep he's a dab hand at the photees. I was thinking Gaudi, like the columns inside La Sagrada Familia......

I also can't "see" how anyone wouldn't want to have every bit of glass as clear as possible.

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 30/01/2013 20:25

Originally Posted By: jame5
Step one,
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Looks promising but i think i'll be very lucky indeed if the plastic bit fits straight over the coupe wiper. More tinkering tomorrow wink

Looks different to the one I had. It had strengthening ribs like the one in the pic. Hopefully you get yours to fit.
To find a direct replacement without having any tinkering to do is the pipe dream/challenge.

click to enlarge

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 31/01/2013 18:41

Nearly, but not good enough cry
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

It was looking so promising too...

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

The coupe wiper is at such a funny angle with bends in all the wrong places i think it's a lost cause. Might have another go at some point but for now i'm throwing in the towel!

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 02/02/2013 19:22

What's wrong with the original.
With this the only thing you are doing is adding weight.

Re: Punto rear wiper arm - 09/02/2013 08:19

Good effort mate!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK